• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BUG OUT BAGS...

S

SHOOTER13

Specifications of the bag and some of what's inside...

Technical Information:
  • Dimensions: 22" x 10" x 15"
  • Weight: 3 lbs 8 oz (unloaded)
  • Material: PVC Coated 600D Nylon
  • 2,400 cubic inches of cargo space
  • MOLLE accessory webbing
  • Hydration bladder compatible
  • Padded adjustable shoulder straps, hip belt, and back
  • Internal organizer

Contents:

GI Medical Tool Kit / ACE Bandages / QUIKCLOT Sponges & Gauze
Motorola Talkabout 250 Walkie Talkie(s) / Extra Batteries
Garmin eTREX GPS / Extra Batteries
US Military Lensatic Compass
Notebook and Pen
Assorted MRE's / Granola Energy Bars
Fire Starter Magnesium Striker / Water Proof Matches / BIC Lighter
Solid Fuel Tabs / Metal Folding Camp Stove
1 QT Canteen
Water Purification Tablets
Roll of TP
Spool of Paracord / Paracord Bracelet
Camp Axe
Multi-Tool & Folding Knife
300 Lumen Flashlight / Extra Batteries
Head Lamp / Extra Batteries
24 hour Cyalume Light Sticks 4 count
100' Nylon Rope
50' Duct Tape
20 11" Cable/Zip Ties
Rain Poncho / 1 Pair Wool Socks
Protective Face Mask(s) 10 count
Deer Leather Work Gloves
Amber Safety (Shooting) Glasses
Ear Plugs
2 Boxes ( 100 rounds ) ammo
Cannister of Pepper Spray
10' x 12' Camo Tarp ( temp shelter )

Most items individually packed in moisture resistant zip lock bags for added protection against the elements.

Instead of hauling around all those extra batteries, have you considered rechargeables and a small solar panel to power the charger? Might save some weight and space. Also a small multiband radio might be handy.

Did the math on all that Gunny...the space taken up ( bulk ) and weight of all units involved was a careful consideration...

The following is the weight totals for the batteries required to power the devices listed:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

16 pack of AAA batteries ( in original packaging ) = .43 lbs
16 pack of AA batteries ( in original packaging ) = .91 lbs

Space taken up in bag after being removed from original packaging and put into zip lock bag = very minimal

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For reference only ( not required by my listed equipment ):

1 count 9 volt packaged = .11 lbs
2 count C's packaged = .32 lbs
2 count D's packaged = .62 lbs

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The solar panel battery chargers I looked at were not only bulky and weighed alot more that the total of all the batteries I have packed...

but were also time consuming on the trickle charge of a totally dead lithium battery...sometimes as much as 8 hours for only 4 AAA / AA batteries to be fully recharged.

I also have a hand crank / solar powered NOAA weather multi-band radio that is not in the bag...but will be carried / attached when required.

Thank you for your input...!!

You sure did your homework.:) I've never put together a BOB, and don't plan to (I'm already bugged - nice and cosy), so never figured anything up weight and space wise. Good info for anyone else doing this tho.

How about a few dozen feet of good wire - like piano wire - for making snares, trip wires, etc?

PS: Btw, I think I'd substitute a Woodmans Pal for the camp axe. More versatile.
newlogo6.gif

A video review:

Last edited:
The snare / trip wire is a good idea...it will take up minimal room and be of minimal weight.

The Woodsman's Pal is an excellent choice that I will have to look into...thanks again for the input Gunny !!

Just got back from viewing the website contained in the video ( and now posted above )...

Woodman’s Pal® Military Premium
The Military Premium model, also known since 1941 as the LC-14-B, is our very best model.
  • 16 ½” overall length
  • 5” Military style soft leather grip with steel knuckle guard. Cool in summer and warm in winter
  • 1/8” thick x 10 1/2“ high carbon steel blade hardened to Rockwell C47 giving it strength for cutting, keeping its edge and also flexibility in cold weather.
  • Blade cuts branches and wood up to 1 ½” in diameter with a single stroke. The unique sickle hook slices through stubborn vines and briars and removes unwanted sprout growth at ground level.
Cost: $84.45

Treated Leather Sheath and Stone Kit : + $24.00

Just got back from viewing the website contained in the video ( and now posted above )...

Woodman’s Pal® Military Premium
The Military Premium model, also known since 1941 as the LC-14-B, is our very best model.
  • 16 ½” overall length
  • 5” Military style soft leather grip with steel knuckle guard. Cool in summer and warm in winter
  • 1/8” thick x 10 1/2“ high carbon steel blade hardened to Rockwell C47 giving it strength for cutting, keeping its edge and also flexibility in cold weather.
  • Blade cuts branches and wood up to 1 ½” in diameter with a single stroke. The unique sickle hook slices through stubborn vines and briars and removes unwanted sprout growth at ground level.
Cost: $84.45

Treated Leather Sheath and Stone Kit : + $24.00

I've used these in the past, and they are great. I'm considering having one made on this design, but with a longer cutting edge - 14"- 16" and 3/16" thick would work better for me I think. Kudzu and other southern vines and what we call hedge brush around here are kinda tough. ;)

@SHOOTER13 I am a big fan of solar panels and rechargeable batteries.

A while back, I bought a 4v solar panel and a 2 AA battery holder box with switch from amazon so I could keep a set of AA's charged up while hiking or hunting or long term survival.

This

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Solar-P...qid=1400280907&sr=8-1&keywords=4v+solar+panel
+
http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Switch-x...69&sr=8-2&keywords=aa+battery+box+with+switch

will keep 2 batteries charged throughout their life expectancy.

Or, you can get a 6v solar panel (like the ones used for game camera and the like) and a 4 battery box for either AAA, AA, C, D, and keep up to 4 batteries charged.

http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Solar-...1&keywords=6+volt+solar+panel+for+deer+feeder

+

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3170-...qid=1400281614&sr=8-3&keywords=4C+cell+holder

or

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...id=1400281646&sr=8-16&keywords=4D+cell+holder

The 6 volt panel is about 6"x4" and the 4 volt is about 3"x2.5" in width and length. Weight is far less than an ounce.

You could attach alligator clips to the solar panel and interchange all of the different size battery boxes as needed rather than hardwiring them all together, which honestly is another option if necessary.

The switch on the battery boxes are two fold. Either when charged you can turn the switch off when not needed, or at night so the batteries don't discharge and feed back into the solar panel, which could damage it and typically in large solar systems is the purpose of an inline charge controller.

Another option is to just use AA batteries and use adapter shells so the AA's will power devices that use C or D batteries. Just be aware that while they will power those devices, AA being smaller Ah batteries, will die faster. Especially in high drain devices.

http://www.amazon.com/C-sized-Adapt...&sr=8-1&keywords=aa+battery+to+c+cell+adapter

Here is the little 4v setup I made. If one were so inclined, you could even make a clear pouch and attach it to your pack and even charge while you're on the move.

portable battery charger 001.JPG

I have a CRKT eat-n tool that is pretty nice. It is a stainless spork with a bottle opener on it. Not counting screwdriver.

http://www.crkt.com/EatN-Tool---Spo...erPry-Tip-Metric-Wrenches-Carabiner-Clam-Only

A good friend of mine picked it up at their booth at shot show 2012 as swag. I have since picked up a few of them. Really well built and good quality & lifetime warranty. Especially for ~$8

Though just putting a regular stainless spoon, fork and steak knife in your BOB probably isn't out of the question either.

ive seen they also make a larger version of the eat-n tool, basically longer handled. i got a folding lock together utensile set for christmas that stays in my lunch box for work. its pretty handy. lol been using it basically every work day for 5 months now an it hasnt let me down.

Thanks for the wealth on info on the battery charger John...I will reconsider the idea.

Dieselmudder: I do have some metal forks and knives that I will throw in with the MRE's... and the sleeping bag is separate from the BOB, which is why it's not listed.

Picked up a snare at the PA National Guard Gun Show in NE Philly this morning...( as well as a new 590A1...pics are forth coming in a dedicated thread ) !!

Thanks for the input gentlemen...keep the suggestions coming !!

There's no such thing as a complete BOB that is suitable for all situations, since much of what goes into one depends on where you are & where you're going. Desert, swamp, mountains, plains, etc., and what time of year.

Reviewing your list again, there are a couple more items I'd add, that maybe are not absolutely essential but sure make things more comfy.
I assume you'll be walking also.

Extra socks - wool.
Toilet paper or suitable substitute.
A small notebook and pencil.
Folding shovel (Gerber NATO type).

^^ I don't trust pens for this kind of thing, which is why I mentioned pencil. Preferably a carpenters pencil. :) In fact, if it were my bag, I'd avoid just about anything with moving parts or that requires electricity - including flashlights. But that's just me. ;)

super glue, derma bond, or vet bond. faster than stitches, more durable than band aids. i saw quick clot listed, but dont think its necessary for minor injuries, and i dont know the full contents of the GI field kit. super glue could also be helpful for lots of other things.

I would omit toilet paper in favor of baby wipes, or some other type of pre moistened personal hygiene wipe.

Back