• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Building a 590A1 from parts?

Hope you are all enjoying the thanksgiving holiday and the upcoming seasons cheer!

I have a spare 590A1 barrel and was wondering if I could build a shotgun from it, using mostly 500 parts, particularly the receiver.

Will a receiver from a 500 assemble correctly with the 590A1 barrel? I see a lot of beater 500s with no barrels for cheap in the pawn shops and online and the build bug bit me.

Thanks to you guys and happy holidays!

SJ

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Howdy @Smilin' Jack .

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Sir. The 500 and 590 receivers are the same and will accept either 500, 590, 590A1, or even 835 barrels. The key is the pairing of the correct magazine tube length and cap set-up with the barrel you choose. Model 500 barrels use magazine tube caps that screw into the tube and will only work with model 500 barrels. The 590/590A1 series barrels use mag tube caps that screw onto the tube. These set-ups will work with 590, 590A1, and 835 barrels. Mossberg even sells a factory model 500 configuration or two that use 590A1 mag tubes and barrels...

LES is correct, as long as you have the proper magazine tube style and length for your barrel you are GTG.

Many of us here have swapped barrels and receivers to get the build we want. I personally put a 500 slug barrel on my 835 with no issues.

Back