• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buliding a 100% Functional 930 HD - Advice Needed

Just ordered a 930 HD for my personal collection.

Would like to develop a true purpose HD shotgun. Not into all the "tactical look" stuff. Just want it to be 100% functional. Here is what I am thinking at this point:

1) Meprolite tritium front bead
2) Nordic charging bolt.
3) Nordic extension tube.
4) Nordic clamp.

Couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know how many shells you can load into the 930 extension tube before the firearm begins to feel front heavy?

2) Will the Nordic clamp block vision down the barrel to the front bead?

3) I am looking for a 100% functional, no frills flashlight, remote switch (if necessary), and mount. I don't want to have to "think" about anything, other than either pressing or flicking the switch. I don't want to have to take either hand from their typical grip positions. I only want to have to move a finger or thumb. Any advice on what products might fit the bill?

Appreciate any advice you all can give me.

1.) I have run everything from +1 to +5 extension tubes and to be honest even with the +5 extension tube it is really not that heavy.

2.) The Nordic Components barrel clamp will not interfere with your sight picture. I run it on my Mossberg 930 autoloader with no issues.

3.) I would order the picatanny mount for the Nordic Components barrel clamp and install a light on that and then mount a remote switch on the foregrip.

Hopefully that helps answer some of your questions.

As for which light I really like the streamlight TLR-1S.

DHonovich said:
As for which light I really like the streamlight TLR-1S.

+ 1 for the Streamlight TLR-1S. The strobe function can really make a difference.

If you doubt it, turn one on and try to get a bead on the person who is shining it at you. ;)

A bright flashlight is always good, but the BG can always try to shield his eyes long enough to find you. That isn't so easy with the strobe.

Having one mounted on a small rail, such as Dan suggested on the Nordic clamp, and positioned so that you can flick the switch either by remote switch or just by extending a thumb or finger tip is pretty fail safe.

I have the 930 HD model with the 18.5" barrel and plain bead front sight. I understand what you are saying about keeping it simple. The most mine will wear is the combo I just stated above. I may end up changing out the front bead on the short barrel, but we'll see how that works.

I am thinking about adding a rail on the receiver, so that I can add a reflex sight or red dot, for HD use, or for popping clays.

DHonovich said:
1.) I have run everything from +1 to +5 extension tubes and to be honest even with the +5 extension tube it is really not that heavy.

D:

How is the balance when the +5 is on it. I don't doubt that just the tube doesn't affect the balance, but I worry that once you get the tube filled with ammunition, and you add the clamp and flashlight that the shotgun is going to be very nose heavy.

Thoughts?

The balance does shift a little with the +5 loaded but it's not terrible. Definitely something you can get used to though. Now the Nordic Compoents barrel clamp is really light and the TLR-1S is not heavy at all. I am also not the most sensitive guy when it comes to things like this. I'll try to have some of my buddies try out my Mossberg 930 autoloader like you are planning to build and see what they think.

Keep in mind that I believe DH is using the +5 on his sporting barrel, which is considerably longer than the 18.5" defensive barrel. So in addition to having more barrel weight out front, you also have to keep in mind that the +5 still has some barrel out there with it, whereas using a +5 with the short barrel would have it extending past the muzzle.

m24shooter said:
Keep in mind that I believe DH is using the +5 on his sporting barrel, which is considerably longer than the 18.5" defensive barrel. So in addition to having more barrel weight out front, you also have to keep in mind that the +5 still has some barrel out there with it, whereas using a +5 with the short barrel would have it extending past the muzzle.
+1 to that. The +5 will certainly stick out way past the 18.5 and I would not be running that tube unless I am shooting in a 3 gun competition.

Resurrecting this thread as I will be going to Front Sight with my 930 and need to outfit it...

A couple of questions:

1) What length extension can I use and have the extension flush with an 18.5" bbl?

2) I know nothing about slings. Would be interested in recommendations regarding sling types and mounts for a tactical shotgun. They are required at Front Sight.

3) Anyone know what the thread size is for the front sight on the Mossberg 930? Would like to replace the brass front bead with a tritium bead. Any suggestions on a good tritium front bead?

Appreciate any help that anyone can give...

Bucks Gun Shop said:
Resurrecting this thread as I will be going to Front Sight with my 930 and need to outfit it...

HUGE congrats that you are paid up to attend FS...

Keep your shotgun as simple as you can. "Hi-Tech" looks kewl but it sux when you're fighting from the ditches and it distracts you.

A simple shoulder stock (maybe with reduced LOP) and simple sights, and shoot it until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth.

You will graduate Front Sight ahead of your tacti-kewl classmates.

Single point slings have a huge suck factor in the field. But they look really kewl.

Your set up sounds solid, some times the KISS method is the best. I'll only add just a little on two points that have been brought up.

I to feel that a good light is a must when you intend to go into harms way. Last year a did a lot of looking into lights and found two brands that seem worth consideration, Coast LED Lenser, & OLight. Both brands are brighter and cost less that the Stream Light and Sure Fire. I have a Coast light that I picked up at Lowes and love it. Not sure where to get the OLights, but if you call the number listed on the web site they'll send you a nice catalog. You can find the OLights being sold on Ebay.

Slings come with considerations as to how you will be using your shotgun. If I were going to be out standing perimiter security for any length of time or on a hike in the woods I'd have to go with a 3 point sling. In an urban environment with lots of "Pie" movements, I'd want a single point sling so that I could transition from left to right shoulder W/O a lot of straps getting in the way. For a strictly HD set up I would not use any slings.

Bucks Gun Shop said:
Just ordered a 930 HD for my personal collection.

Would like to develop a true purpose HD shotgun. Not into all the "tactical look" stuff. Just want it to be 100% functional. Here is what I am thinking at this point:

1) Meprolite tritium front bead - Good mod, very useful
2) Nordic charging bolt. - I have the same one, it wobbles a little more than the factory one, a minor annoyance.
3) Nordic extension tube. - The best mod to the shotgun, period.
4) Nordic clamp. - I use this clamp, it is a pain in the butt to remove just to do regular maintenance but it is the best on the market in my opinion.

Couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know how many shells you can load into the 930 extension tube before the firearm begins to feel front heavy? 7 is what I load, also use Raven Concealment's ModuLoader instead of the usual shell holders.

2) Will the Nordic clamp block vision down the barrel to the front bead?No.

3) I am looking for a 100% functional, no frills flashlight, remote switch (if necessary), and mount. I don't want to have to "think" about anything, other than either pressing or flicking the switch. I don't want to have to take either hand from their typical grip positions. I only want to have to move a finger or thumb. Any advice on what products might fit the bill?Use a Streamlight TLR-1s coupled with the NC clamp, Picatinny rail,. It's lighter and smaller than most lights

Appreciate any advice you all can give me.

I decided to go with the Elzetta ZSM and Streamlight Polytac light. I paid about $74.00 for both shipped.

Streamlight_PolyTacLED.jpg

ZSM%205.JPG

ElZetta_Shotgun_Mount.jpg

zero7one_Elzetta_ZSM_Shotgun_Mount_018.JPG

LOL, actually the "extra" parts are just that. They are spacers in case the mag tube/flash light are to small. The other nice thing about the Elzetta is they have optional accessories for the non flash light side such as a pic rail and sling swivel. Here is a good compilation/review of info on their flash light and the ZSM mount.

UPDATE: Light and mount come in today! Went on easy and fits perfect. I have it mounted so I can turn it on with my thumb while holding on to the forend grip. It's far enough forward to not be in the way when I rack the slide but still easy to turn on/off. For me this is PERFECT! While the barrel casts a bit of a shadow it's minimal. The Polytac also has a nice tight beam too.

photobucket-937-1322264247061.jpg

Guys:

I sincerely appreciate the comments... There is the possibility that I will not install an extended magazine... If that is the case, I don't believe I will be able to use the Nordic clamp or the Elzetta clamp... What have others used when all you have at the end of the stock magazine is the magazine nut?

Bucks Gun Shop said:
Guys:

I sincerely appreciate the comments... There is the possibility that I will not install an extended magazine... If that is the case, I don't believe I will be able to use the Nordic clamp or the Elzetta clamp... What have others used when all you have at the end of the stock magazine is the magazine nut?

Tacstar Universal Barrel Mounts
Mounts to work with almost any light or laser.

Attaches the T6 Tactical Flashlight or similar lights to the barrel. Two-piece precision-machined mounts fit firearms from .22 cal. to 12 gauge. Mounts clamp on securely and easily.

tac_lights_ga_ubm.jpg

Kodiak:

I appreciate the link... Do you have specific experience with this mount? My concern is related to how well it maintains position if bumped from the side... Also, how well positioned is the light relative to the forearm of the shotgun? Does it mount in such a manner that one can easily get to the switch on the back of the light?

Thanks...

I don't have direct experience with it, sorry. You could use two to make it more stable. You could also use a railed forend.

Back