• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buying shotgun shells

I'm new to shotguns, and I need to learn which shells to buy and when I'm buying them how to read the box.

These Federal brand shells read:

12 Gauge
2 3/4 Dram. Eq.
1 1/8 Oz. Shot.
8 Shot
2 3/4 Inches
Muz. Vel. 1145 FPS

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what all this means please?

12 Gauge - gauge of gun that will accommodate this shell
2 3/4 Dram. Eq. - amount of powder in the shell
1 1/8 Oz. Shot. - weight of shot in shell
8 Shot - .090" (2.29 mm) - size of shot in shell
2 3/4 Inches - length of shot shell
Muz. Vel. 1145 FPS - speed that the load leaves the barrel

Hope that helps.

To add further to the excellent (and quite correct) info that mingaa gave you:

2-3/4 Dram Eq = measurement of powder when black powder was used as a propellant.
Serves as a guide to how much velocity and recoil there will be.
The higher the number the more powder and more kick and speed.

To put your load in perspective, 12-ga shells in the 2-3/4" length have shot payloads usually found from 1-oz thru 1-1/8 oz to a max of 1-1/4 oz (usually). Of course, the more shot weight the more pellets are in the cloud of shot for the same size pellets, which is called a shot column. It doesn't add to the effective range, but helps ensure a better or more likely hit on target. So your 1-1/8 oz payload is a "medium weight" regarding the total pellet count.

Using Remington STS/Premier advertised data (Federal is almost identical but I'm most familiar with Remington), you'll see that 12-ga 2-3/4" shells come in different velocities for target and hunting.

Remington 12-ga 1-1/8 oz Target load velicities vary based on Dram Weight, including

1100-fps
1145-fps
1200-fps
1235-fps

and their Nitro Sporting Clays 1-1/8 oz loads go

1300-fps
1350-fps

And their hunting loads are quite similar but use different wads to arrive at different shot patterns (shape of the cloud) than what target (trap, skeet, clays) wads pattern for shooting.

So all that is just to help illustrate that your box of ammo is a medium payload, with fairly light recoil and a slower velocity compared to other 12-ga 1-1/8 oz ammo available. These shells are typically found used by the majority of shooters because they are easy on the gun, easy on the shooter and quite effective as target or dove loads where you might shoot hundreds in an outing.

Sorry so long, but I hope it helped somewhat.

Thank you very much, Sir. I sincerely appreciate the compliment.

I try to contribute when I think I can do something constructive. ;)

Mostly though I just post junk...... It's what I do best!

Thanks nitesight! Good to know. I knew a few things, but now I feel like I could explain it to someone and sound like I know what I'm talking about hahaha.

Both mingaa amd nitesite are valued contributors to this forum and we are glad they are a part of our team !!

+1 rep point for your efforts gentlemen...

...and

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Brookelynngreen !!

I love this ammo information! Thanks fellas for some really good posts!

Understanding ammo, (the differences) can be confusing, ammo is as varied as noses.

There are a few main catagories to help decide what kind of ammo will best meet your needs.

Hunting; of all sorts of game
Target; most commonly 7 1/2 or 8 shot (8 shot being what you described above)
Home/Personal Defense; 00 (double ought) buck is definitely the most common choice

Within each of those few catagories there are all sorts of very common loads which can be found at most any WalMart, to rather specialized loads which are sometimes gimmicky while others are definitely worth their salt. ;)

nitesite said:
2-3/4 Dram Eq = measurement of powder when black powder was used as a propellant.Serves as a guide to how much velocity and recoil there will be.The higher the number the more powder and more kick and speed.

Hey Thanks! I have been wondering this too but didn't know how to ask about it! :p I buy "# 3 Dram Eq" and it works well for me

Back