• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can't wait to store the 930 under the bed!

I bought the 930 spx for a home defense gun....however, couldn't find a good way that I was comfortable with to store it loaded under the bed. The 930 spx would then just be for home defense during emergency situations (like after a disaster).

I was about to give up..then I just saw this product while going through the AMSEC catalog....supposedly after a bit of research its going on sale in July. I can not wait!

Wait do you guys think?

http://www.amsecusa.com/Defense_Vault/

DV652_Open.jpg

That looks like a really nice option to store a shotgun in. Unfortunately I have not done a lot of research on gun safes so I don't have any helpful input for you on this subject. Let us know how you like it when you finally get it.

Can someone do me a favor?

The defense vault says it has a clearance of 3-3/8" for the tray. I measured the 930 spx and the charging handle fits below that no problem.

I was going to get the nordic barrel clamp and rail, with a tlr-1s....however, can someone measure and tell me what the clearance is from "the floor" to the top of the light when you lay the 930 spx like shown in the picture?

I was planning on getting a receiver side saddle...not going to now. There would be no way it would fit the 3-3/8" clearance with having a side saddle on one end, and the charging handle and light sticking out on the other side.

Though...a butt stock side saddle might work....while someone is at it, could you also tell me the clearance on a butt stock side saddle with ammo attached?

That box looks great! Cant find a price on it though I didnt look too hard.

Shells are 3/4" so on the butt stock shell cuff, you'd be under the 3 and 3/8".

Thanks for the info, though once you add the actual material of the saddle, would it be more like 1"?

And, from what I have found, I think its going to be around $550. Expensive, but exactly what I've been looking to find for months.

Yeah, I think with material its about an inch, but the stock isnt 2" wide so I'm thinkin it should be good to go. I think... :D

I will measure the TLR-1S for you when I get back from traveling.

Thanks for that....though, I was really hoping to get a total "depth" from floor to top of light with the light attached to the barrel and nordic clamp rail...I'm not sure how "high" the rail puts the light from the floor.

And yeah...I can preorder, though I hate preordering when someone else online can give possibly a better deal after release...

According to the site, that safe has an electronic keypad. So is that AC powered or battery?

I only ask because if it is AC, does it have the option for a battery back-up in the event the power is off, or the BG cuts your power?

If battery, what is the battery life? It looks like a good idea, as long as you can access your tools WHEN you need them.

One is none, or so I was told ;) So if that is your soul source for HD, what happens if you can't open it?

I have access to my main HD tools, which are kept secure and out of reach of little fingers. In the event that I cannot immediately get to them, I do have back-ups, kept in different areas, in the event I am forced out of my safe area.

But before any of that ever happens, the BG would have to get by the home security system, and the dogs. With the racket created by that, I should have ample time to react - get to the HD tools, and protect the family.

Just something to keep in mind. That is a nice looking system they have, and I'm sure it will work well for it's designed purposes. But have a contingency plan, too - just in case. ;)

Right. Those are questions that aren't addressed yet. I'm sure that its battery powered, but it doesn't say. I'm hoping that it also is like the gunvaults where even if the battery dies, there is a key backup.

That is why I haven't preordered it. There isn't enough information on those types of questions.

i sent em an email asking how its powered. i hope to hear from them shortly.

two 9v batteries located in the keypad

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:44 PM
To: Service
Subject: Support Question

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Form Name : Tech Services
Date Submitted : 04/26/2011 12:44:12PM

Product Serial Number:
Amsec Defense Vault DV652 Under the Bed Gun Safe

Comments::
how is the underbed safe powered? battery? or a/c and battery?

Oh, thats really good....a lot of the gunvault brand tiny safes (like the minivault) take 8 AA batteries...I would much rather use 2 9v.

Now the question is whether it has a key backup.

I'll submit the question. I also want to know whether the keypad is always lit or if you just push a button to make it lit or something.

Yeah, I've seen the shotlock and a few others like it...the only problem with it is that my wife does not want the shotgun "visible"...even behind curtains, etc.....she doesn't want my 2 and 4 year olds to see it.

And...I checked that dealer catalog....page 39 doesn't have the new esl5 lock on it....which the defense vault is supposed to have....

Hi Mark,
At this time the only information available is what is displayed on the website. I do know that this passed CalDOJ testing and should show up in a week or two on the official Roster of Approved Firearms Safety Devices.

Kind regards,
Meghann Aynsley

Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:02 AM
To: marc
Cc: Amy Ryan
Subject: RE: Support Question

The keypad lights up as soon as a button is pressed.
There is no mechanical key access available.

Hey Amy,
Do you have any PDF information on the new DV652 under bed safe?

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:01 PM
To: Meghann Aynsley
Subject: RE: Support Question

hello meghann,

excellent. thank you for answering so quick...i'll post the info on http://www.mossbergowners.com
where i am a member, and there is another member there that has some other questions for it as well.
1) is the key pad always lit?
2) is there a back up key to open it?
3) is there a spec pdf or page you can show me that has the detailed info on it?

thanx again.
marc

Back