• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

cantilever barrel?

Frogfish

Copper BB
Hey guys, So my 535 came with a cantilever rifled barrel for shooting slugs. I plan on utilizing this come bear and deer season by shooting Hornady SST. However, I know cantilever barrels can be inaccurate and I have already mounted a Bushnell Trophy XLT to my receiver for Turkey season, and i would rather not remove and put back on the scope everytime I decide I want to change to the rifled barrel.

Can I just saw off the cantilever and paint the exposed metal so I can utilize the receiver-mounted scope whenever I want to shoot slugs? Thanks

I don't see why not but the whole idea behind a cantilever is for a scope to stay with the barrel so that it is more accurate,

nasa said:
I don't see why not but the whole idea behind a cantilever is for a scope to stay with the barrel so that it is more accurate,

+100 right there!
In the words of Mr Ronco himself, Ron Popeil "Set it and Forget it"

But, I am always in favor of modifying something to suit my needs, so since it is your gun you should do with it what you want.
I would think that a nice cutting tool on a Dremmel should chop it right off.

I've not heard of cantelever scopes being inaccurate. But as LTB45 said it's your gun, tune it up as you like.

B-Square makes a clamp on cantilever mount for vent ribbed barrels. If you wanted mount your turkey scope to that and then swap it a whole unit that could be an option.
352312.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...shotgun-scope-mount-with-ribs-up-to-3-8-matte

I have two of these (thanks to the awesome service dept at B-Square :lol: ). and they work well.

Back