• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Clay Target Thrower

Gunner

.270 WIN
I've been looking at getting a clay target thrower. I don't know squat about them, I want one that is that isn't going to break the bank to buy and will work. This is the one I'm looking at, has anyone used this thrower? if so chime in and let me know what you think of it, or is there another brand or style that is a better yet still inexpensive?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104269680

I'm leaning towards purchasing a Do-All Traps Backyard Traps Single. Prices vary around $130 or so.

My local range has a couple of traps similar to this that I can use.

Both are 3/4 cock sit down versions which are very nice and a joy to use.

If you're by yourself consider a Trius One Step.

Thanks guys!
Looks like I'll stay away from the el cheapo and take it up a notch. Kinda like the looks of the Trius. I'll probably be picking one up here in the near future. Like this weekend :)

Mudinyeri said:
I have the Trius: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104269680

It's great when you can't get anyone to throw for you.

+100 on the Trius one step!

Me and a bunch of friends use to spend many hours out throwing clays for each other in a field.
We would sometimes have 3 or even 4 throwers all there at the same time.
Most of my friends had purchased the less expensive models of throwers........Unless they are mounted to an old wheel off a car, they were a major pain to keep them secure to the ground.

This was never a problem with my One Step!
It stays where you put it and you can even throw clays when there is nobody around to help.

This is really one of the best on the market! You wont be disappointed with it.

LTB45/Mundinyeri

Thanks, I was really guessing about which one (Trius) I should get. Years ago and I mean years ago! I had a beat up (on its last legs) Outers that was given to me. It broke more birds that it threw and was a royal PITA to use. It was (also) long ago that it went to the scrap heap and I really haven't given any thought to replacing it until now.

I'm thinking of getting one of the cheap $30 wal mart throwers.

I don't shoot enough trap to justify one of the real expensive ones.

John A.
If you do, It would be nice to get your take on it. Like you I'm not going to use one enough to justify the cost of an expensive one. Though it does have to work/last and not fly/fall apart after a few of cases of clays.

Just remember folks, the cheap throwers DO HAVE to be bolted to an old wheel to keep them on the ground. Also one thing that most dont think about is the tension that you must put on the spring to cock it.
This can make for a dangerous situation if the arm slips while cocking.

This is not an issue with the One-Step. There is no tension while cocking the arm. Very safe.

Also the added cost and weight of an old car wheel must be figured in to make the cheap one work correctly.

Believe me, I have seen many different models of the cheap throwers, flip over while throwing the bird/birds without a stable mount.

Membership at gun clubs has its privileges...So my Trius One-Step does not see as much use as it did, maybe once or twice a year. I still feel that with that little use, I can justify the cost of this unit.

You get what you pay for and I have seen plenty of people go el cheapo on a thrower and regret it later.

Hey all!

I bought a thrower! took some time yet, for 20 bucks and new in the box I don't mind the wait. The LGS gets in all kinds of odds and ends (mom&pop) and they has a couple of clay throwers looked like they'd just came in. They were new and all there but the boxes looked like they'd been sitting around for a very long time...

For 20 bucks why not... :lol:

Back