• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Comcast/NBC: No firearm advertising

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Examiner.com said:
On Monday, ABC reported that Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has dropped all gun-related commercials on its extensive media networks which include holdings in television, cable, Internet, radio, and voice services. A Michigan gun shop confirmed that weapons-related businesses such as manufacturers, distributors, and firearms shops will no longer be able to advertise their products on Comcast's empire, affiliates, and subsidiaries.

The Philadelphia-based company is among the biggest media corporations in the world with annual revenues exceeding $55 billion. Last week, it announced intentions to acquire NBC Universal from GE in a deal valued at $16.7 billion. NBC has not shown weapons-related commercials on its network, according to ABC's report.

Starting in February 2012, Comcast will pull all gun shop advertisements beginning with its cable network. However, the move has come element of secrecy as the company never announced the rollback on its corporate website. The company did issue a statement to ABC's Michigan affiliate saying, "Consistent with long standing NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward. This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations."

The move could spark multi-million dollar lawsuits in multiple states from class-action lawyers. One argument could be that denial of ad placement will cost the weapons industry billions of dollars in revenue.

Additionally, Comcast's move could be seen as infringing on free speech protections from the First Amendment, and citizens' rights to bear arms as stipulated in the Second Amendment of the U.S. constitution. Monday's actions could also initiate a larger response from the media industry as other giants such as Time Warner could follow suit.

Williams Gun Sight, a company that specialized in targeting products based out of Michigan, said that it was denied ad placement. Owner Tom Wright said "I thought it was ridiculous, we are a legitimate business, we have been here for 80 years . . . There's no reason why we can't promote what we believe in and something that's guaranteed under the Second Amendment."

Andrea Olson, a media buyer for the local ad agency who acted on behalf of Williams Gun Sight, expressed disappointment in Comcast's decision. "[The owner] thinks this is a direct infringement on our constitutional rights and links it to gun control, and he's a member of the NRA and passionate about the issue," she said.

Last week, it was discovered that the Obama administration has been pressuring major financial institutions to stop extending letters of credit to gun companies. A Bank of America spokesman admitted that the move was "politically motivated". TD Bank was also identified as dropping clients who belong to the weapons business.

Earlier this month, the head of the National Rifle Association predicted that President Barack Obama's gun control measures won't pass congress. "I tell you what these things are. These are all feel-good proposals, because at the end of the day, what do they do to prevent a mass shooter?" said David Keene, the NRA's president.
Linky

I know the gun shop, Williams Gun Sight is my local shop. Coincidently where I bought my 930, 835, 870, G19 and countless others.

Gee, I wonder if they will still air shows that depict guns, gun violence and shooting. :x :x

,,,,,,put 'em on the chit list. anyone with comcast call up and dump them. BOYCOTT!!!!

and pass this around,,,,,get the word out. chit or get off the pot.

When last I checked Comcast was the only cable and high speed internet provider for my home. For many they are literally the only game in town. I can live without TV and phone but I cannot do what I do in life without internet.

I am out of range for ATT Uverse (and DSL which they used to offer in my area but no longer do), WOW, Charter...

I'm going to have to do some more research.

Hughes satellite internet.

The extend some pretty big discounts to people that do not have internet access any other way.

They generally just check with teh phone company for internet availability based on that.

Just sayin'.

John A. said:
Hughes satellite internet.

The extend some pretty big discounts to people that do not have internet access any other way.

They generally just check with teh phone company for internet availability based on that.

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the info John. Sadly I think I would blow through their monthly data cap in a day or two. They also do not work well with VPN which is a requirment for me with my work.

It's been a while since I last checked maybe one of the other competitiors has expanded into comcast territory.

Same here Mike.

I run 60+ megs with unlimited data. It REALLY sucks, but Comcast is the only game in town...

,,,,wasn't it bill clinton that said "no more of these monopolies ? :lol: BS

comcast is so damn expensive any way... I have it now in my apartment and it costs way more than satellite. My parents have dish for their tv and they have dvr and all kinds of options and it still costs less than my cable here... When I get my own place I will not get comcast.

Back