• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

corn cob wood fore end

WF7GLU

Copper BB
Where can a guy find one?! I have a perfectly good but stock but tracking down a wood corn cob fore end seems to be kinda a pain in the rear.

Since they aren't manufactured anymore they are becoming harder to find by the day. Every so often you can see them on ebay... but they usual fetch top dollar ( $100-250 a set!). Search your local adds or pawn shops... you might be able to find a used 500 for cheap that's wearing the furniture you're looking for.

I got mine from Havlin about 3 months ago. They were their clearance items that wasnt perfect, but I was stripping and restaining it, so I didn't care.

stigmata said:
I got mine from Havlin about 3 months ago. They were their clearance items that wasnt perfect, but I was stripping and restaining it, so I didn't care.

I thought they only had the 20ga wood forends??? If they've got 12ga ones.... better keep it a secret ;) :lol:

WF7GLU said:
Where can a guy find one?! I have a perfectly good but stock but tracking down a wood corn cob fore end seems to be kinda a pain in the rear.

If you know a woodworker with a lathe, he could probably make one for you. Just an option.

Got mine for $30 from a member on another forum a couple months ago. Spent about a year looking for one before that with no luck. They're out there, you just have to keep looking and find someone who's willing to part with theirs...

If you are talking about this style of fore end:

1494227_01_forend_forgrip_for_a_mossberg__640.jpg

You can buy one here for $20:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/561030A.htm

It's for a 500 but should fit on a 590 okay. You may need or want to refinish it. I did and this is the result(in the middle):

20130222_171014copy_zps073453cb.jpg
[/URL]

You didn't happen to take any pics of it before the refinish?

Just how bad was the finish from Numrich? Hell for 20 bucks I'm game to give it a whirl. I really want a wood corn cob for one of mine. Something about good ol wood and blued steel just warms the heart. :D

jgwills said:
You didn't happen to take any pics of it before the refinish?

Just how bad was the finish from Numrich? Hell for 20 bucks I'm game to give it a whirl. I really want a wood corn cob for one of mine. Something about good ol wood and blued steel just warms the heart. :D

The finish wasn't bad at all, it just didn't match the stock I had so I refinished them both to match. I didn't stain the wood after sanding it down, I just oil finished it. I think the soft blonde look works pretty good.

Thanks kilrain.

Much appreciate the link. I too didn't think to check with Numrich. So its for sure the "rat tail" one you order?

They show a checkered and a ribbed one which I was under the impression it was the ribbed one every refers to as a corncob but its the only one pictured and it looks more like the older mossberg style which is not all that bad, I could be happy with it but really want the more modern type just in wood.

Did you know off hand if its walnut or birch? I think walnut and boiled linseed oil is what I'd prefer. Wanting to go for that classic military trench gun look if possible.

jgwills said:
Thanks kilrain.

Much appreciate the link. I too didn't think to check with Numrich. So its for sure the "rat tail" one you order?

They show a checkered and a ribbed one which I was under the impression it was the ribbed one every refers to as a corncob but its the only one pictured and it looks more like the older mossberg style which is not all that bad, I could be happy with it but really want the more modern type just in wood.

Did you know off hand if its walnut or birch? I think walnut and boiled linseed oil is what I'd prefer. Wanting to go for that classic military trench gun look if possible.

Yes, rat tail is the one I ordered and what's on the 500 is what I got. As for the type of wood, it looks like birch to me, not walnut. But staining is always an option I reckon'.........

This is what Numrich calls the "ribbed" forearm:

561010.jpg

Yep, that is the ribbed picture I referenced.

Birch eh...... not sure how BLO would look on that. Still for only 20 bucks its not a huge outlay to see how it goes. Gonna probably give em a call on Monday and probably place an order for the "rat tail" then along with a plain uncheckered stock. See how it turns out I guess with BLO applied to it after sanding if I don't like whats shipped.

Curious if anyone knows why the refer to it as a "rat tail"? I wouldn't have ever called it that unless they literally use a rat tail file to make the indentations of the ribs maybe?

jgwills said:
Yep, that is the ribbed picture I referenced.

Birch eh...... not sure how BLO would look on that. Still for only 20 bucks its not a huge outlay to see how it goes. Gonna probably give em a call on Monday and probably place an order for the "rat tail" then along with a plain uncheckered stock. See how it turns out I guess with BLO applied to it after sanding if I don't like whats shipped.

Curious if anyone knows why the refer to it as a "rat tail"? I wouldn't have ever called it that unless they literally use a rat tail file to make the indentations of the ribs maybe?

I reckon' it's due to it's passing resemblance to a rat tail file:

oak33.JPG

And I've heard this and other similar fore ends referred to as "rat tail" style, but more often as ribbed or round ribbed in this case.

Numrich emailed me back today, said this fits the older, long slide tube. Does that agree with what folks here have found with this product?

Zieg

Colorado USA

thezieg said:
Numrich emailed me back today, said this fits the older, long slide tube. Does that agree with what folks here have found with this product?

Zieg

Colorado USA

Yes, it fits the longer tube, at least the ones I got did. I just ordered/received another one this month. I hope this helps.

thezieg said:

Zieg

Colorado USA

you will need to measure the action tube on your gun and make sure it's the longer one. Also make sure Numrich has the 12ga.

Attachments

• forend chart.jpg
    forend chart.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 302
Yes the 500ATP was an earlier gun. I believe it was a police riot gun.
The persuader came out later.
Is yours a 5+1 shot or 7+1 shot?
Got any pics. :D

Back