• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Couldn't load all 7 shells

So I took the 930 tactical out this weekend and it shot really well for about 27 shots. After that I couldn't get it to take all 7 shells. I THINK because magazine extension is sitting right under the flash suppressor, it's heating up moved or heated the spring. I let it sit for about an hour and it took all 7 shells again. Has anyone else that has this type 930 have the same issue? I'm thinking I might go with a 2 shell extension instead of the three.

Hi,
I doubt 27 rounds would create enough heat to do that. Is it possible you were mixing different brands of shells? Different loads have different lengths which could explain it.
Best....

Oli addressed this situation in another thread:

oli700 said:
No, but some shot shells are shorter than average just as some are longer than average, the hull measurement,2 3/4”, is taken from a spent shell and even some spent shells very a little.
These are all 2 3/4 ,If you look close you’ll see the two high brass Remington’s are holding the straight edge up above the rest
IMG_0790.jpg

Different payloads and charges, wad designs will make some finished shot shells different lengths. I have also heard complaints of 500 or Mav’s holding only 6 in the tube. They are designed for 7 but hold one more or less depending on ammo choice.

Take care. Tom Worthington.

Seascout, yea I meant they were all 2 3/4. But after reading Tom's post I see that doesn't mean squat.

Thanks Tom, Learn something new everyday.

But I don't think that's the problem. With the size difference, I could see it changing by one shell (from 7 in the mag to 6), but not my 2 shells. Plus, after we stopped and everyone left I reloaded it and it took all seven shells and they were the same shells I tried to use earlier.

If you notice, the breacher flash suppressor is hugh and sits right on top of the end of the mag. It's cut out 360 degress, so it does get hot flashed each shot. That's why I thought it might be heat related.
mossberg2.jpg

Maybe, just maybe I could cut off part of the heat shield for my barrel clamp and use the cut off piece to tack weld between the two?

By the way, that was a joke. :twisted:

hughes4123 said:
Seascout, yea I meant they were all 2 3/4. But after reading Tom's post I see that doesn't mean squat.

Thanks Tom, Learn something new everyday.

But I don't think that's the problem. With the size difference, I could see it changing by one shell (from 7 in the mag to 6), but not my 2 shells. Plus, after we stopped and everyone left I reloaded it and it took all seven shells and they were the same shells I tried to use earlier.

If you notice, the breacher flash suppressor is hugh and sits right on top of the end of the mag. It's cut out 360 degress, so it does get hot flashed each shot. That's why I thought it might be heat related.
mossberg2.jpg

Maybe, just maybe I could cut off part of the heat shield for my barrel clamp and use the cut off piece to tack weld between the two?

By the way, that was a joke. :twisted:
Well I not here to say it is impossible that heat build up was your culprit, just that I would be surprised. Perhaps it could play a role along with something else? Have you given the inside of your mag tube a good cleaning and lube? Spring and follower as well? Those items might help as well if needed.
It will be interesting to hear an update in the future to see if this issue persists.
Best....

Back