• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Couple of upgrade questions on the 88.

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Maverick 88 brand new and now I'm fuming over a couple of things. I am entirely satisfied with the gun; I had initially been looking for a 500, but saw the 88 and like it much better. Now, I'm not a stranger in this field, but I'm far from being an expert, so a few things need answers, please.

1. Found this on Ebay. Is it good price for all that I'd get? I've looked around and I think so.

MOSSBERG 500 12ga ALL 4: 20" Barrel/Magazine/Spring & Follower Factory New
Sorry about the huge print; copy and paste. Anyhow he's asking $195.50.
2. Can I remove the forend off the 88 and take out the magazine tube without field stripping the rest of the receiver? If so, please tell how. Couldn't find it in manual.

On another note, the price in No. 1 is only $40 short of what I payed for my 88. I'm almost wondering if I should just get a 88 Security that comes with 20" barrel (I got the All Purpose with 28" barrel).

Anyway, thanks in advance, Joseph

The magazine tube screws into the receiver, you do not even have to remove the forend to remove it. It may be difficult to remove the first time, do not put thread locker on it and subsequent removals will be easier (no it will not work it's way out without thread locker on it.) You may need a strap wrench to get it out and as a last resort you may need to apply a little heat, but not so much as to discolor or burn off the finish. If it best to remove the slide assembly if you need to take this approach. Whatever you do make sure you do not dent or bend the tube else you will likely have feed issues after.

For a $40 difference I would just buy another gun. Is your maverick a 5+1 capacity? If so, you you can buy a 18.5" barrel that will fit the std magazine tube for < $100. or you could buy a field barrel and cut it down. Have you looked through the used barrel selection at your local shops? Lots of deals to be had if you are patient.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mav88.

Yeah, I understand about the 18.5" barrel. Yes, it is 5+1. Believe me, I've done the research on that; there is a rail assembly I want to add that works best with the extended tube. And how exactly does one remove the fore end?

Thanks for the welcome guys! Thanks for the help Mike!

No problem.

That is a great video that will get you to know your Mav88 inside and out.;)

I got rid of the pinned forend and went with a 500 set up much more options after that! Good luck with your project and upload pic when you can!

Back