• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Creeping safety?

No, that isn't the problem. Field tested today having swapped bolt slides between my 500 and 590, and the issue continues.
However - I have now tried swapping bolts, and can manually rack the 500 [with 590 bolt] and get the safety to move, sometimes quite dramatically. Closer inspection shows 2 things:
1. The 500 bolt firing pin spring is thin and has around 8 coils, whereas the 590 is thicker steel and only has around 5 coils and, more significantly
2. There seems to be vertical play in the bolt lock pin - I watched a video on disassembling the bolt, which looked very easy, yet when I tried it was difficult to the point where I snapped the pin punch I was using. I have ordered spares from Brownells as it looks feasible that the bolt lock is malfunctioning, causing the firing pin to be held in a rearwards position sufficiently to impact on the safety block when racked rearwards.
This is speculation at this point, but when the spares arrive in around 10 days I will attempt disassembly again and see what transpires.

Have now done a major competition [120 rds 32gm #5 birdshot + 22 rds 32gm slug + 20 rds 36gm SG buckshot] using my 590 but fitted with the 500 bolt and bolt slide. The gun functioned 100% - absolutely no problems with the safety catch moving at all.
I have left the 590 bolt and bolt slide in my 500 and will take it to a local gunsmith to see what he makes of the problem [the 500 with the 590 bolt in it can be made to slip the safety just by racking the empty gun firmly, yet the actual safety catch is as positive as that in the 590].
Will see what the outcome is in due course!

Back