• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

cut it or leave it alone?

poomwah

I used to have a Stevens 311 12 gauge that the previous owner had chopped the barrel down to about 20 inches or so. I took about another 1/4 inch off of it cleaning up up the cut. I absolutely loved that gun. Like a dumbass, I was living somewhere where I couldn't shoot it, and needed some money, and sold it. I've missed it ever since.
Last fall I found a decent deal on another one with 28 inch barrels. I like it, but not as much as my old one. I'd enjoy it more if it was cut down like my old one. But any time I say anything about it, I get jumped on about how bad an idea it is and how it will destroy the gun and its value.
It seems to me like it would increase its value to me, personally. As far as resale value, I'm not sure it really has any to begin with. The case coloring has long since worn off. The barrels have been cold blued. The original finish on the wood is also long gone. There are two cracks that have been repaired in the stock. The grip section of the stock and the comb have also been re-shaped. Doesn't seem like there's much to lose.
The gun doesn't really serve any role other than for fun. I have the tools, skill, and experience to shorten the barrel and re-install the bead (even though my old one didn't even have the bead, I kept meaning to put one on, but loved shooting it the way it was, but never got around to it). So, what do you guys think?
kfTxgCK.jpg

OK, here's my sincere opinion.

I'd cut the barrel for a few reasons.

You're correct that the resale value is nominal at best. Whether you cut the barrel or not. If you can do a nice and professional job cutting it and putting on a new bead instead of a hack job, all the more reason to do it.

You said you had one before and liked it, so I suspect you may well hand onto this one longer, so as long as it suits "you", then forget about what anyone else thinks about it. It's not their gun.

On a gun like this do it only if you are positive you will never want to go back.

I have an older SxS that I would never conceive of cutting because I like it too much for hunting.

Ultimately you are the one that has invested in it and needs to be happy with it. Sounds like you know what you want based on past experience so if doing so will make it the gun you want it to be...go for it.

My first shotgun was a 311 12 ga with 30" barrels. It kicked the hell out of me. But I loved it. If I could have cut it down and installed the screw in chokes available now I would have. Make it your gun.

thanks guys :] consider it done. As soon as the weather warms up enough for me to get the work shop cleaned out (basically a shed :p) I will make sure to post pics when its done. Then I can finally get started on it's "case"

Uh...how about making a build topic on it. Post it up in this section but a new topic. Take plenty of pix. Before during and after. Close ups as well....

thanks guys :] consider it done. As soon as the weather warms up enough for me to get the work shop cleaned out (basically a shed :p) I will make sure to post pics when its done. Then I can finally get started on it's "case"

Well, the downside is you'll lose the chokes if that makes any difference to you, and end up with a cylinder barreled SxS. If I was going to do that to a cheap double gun, might as well make a Lupara. Illegal as hell, but I won't tell if you don't. ;)

800px-Lupara.jpg

Just a thought,,,,,,

What is a sawed-off shotgun?The legal term is a "short-barreled shotgun". (National Firearms Act of 1936) According the NFA 36, a shotgun must have a barrel length of a minimum of eighteen inches and an overall length of 26 inches. Anything shorter without the proper procedure and paperwork and it's a federal felony punishable by ten years and a $250,000 fine.

Just a thought,,,,,,

What is a sawed-off shotgun?The legal term is a "short-barreled shotgun". (National Firearms Act of 1936) According the NFA 36, a shotgun must have a barrel length of a minimum of eighteen inches and an overall length of 26 inches. Anything shorter without the proper procedure and paperwork and it's a federal felony punishable by ten years and a $250,000 fine.

Why wouldn't the above be an AOW like the Serbu super shorty?

Not sure, I guess it could if you want to invest stamp money.

Just a thought,,,,,,

Yeah. Another example of forbidding a perfectly suitable self defense firearm that was in wide use in Italy, and other parts of Europe, against potential wolves while out hunting. So our feds come along and ban it because some enterprising Mafia types used them to off each other. Seems to me that the anti's would love this gun, since they are only single or double shot. No 'large cap mag', not semi auto, much harder to conceal than a handgun, etc.

Just a thought,,,,,,

While I'm not really up on all the specifics of a short barrel shotgun, this is how I read the law(s) concerning them.

"(a) Firearm
The term “firearm” means
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(d) Shotgun
The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell."

Here is a very good page concerning the whole "shoulder fired" and "smoothbore" things.

The 14″ Mossberg 500 That ISN’T NFA!
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Back