• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer hunting trophy orgs (I.E. P&Y, B&C CBM, etc.)

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
It came up in another thread, where I had commented that P&Y does not allow crossbow kills in their books yet many companies that manufacture, market, sell and maintain crossbow equipment donate and support P&Y so I'm curious to know what people thoughts are on these types of trophy hunting orgs. Do you feel that are good, bad or otherwise for hunting.

Don't limit answers just based on my crossbow connection, I'm curious to hear any thoughts based on any aspect of their policies, practices, social impact, etc. It does not have to apply only to deer thought these seem to be the biggest and most recognized.

I think this is a good topic Mike.

I feel the org's themselves are good, at least for what they are, but as with any organization, they are only as good or opinionated as their board members.

As for addressing crossbow hunting specifically, I have noticed a lot of undue animosity towards it in my opinion.

While I do have a crossbow and a handicap permit in my state due to a disabling back injury that will plague me for the rest of my days, but I consider a crossbow is just as "sporting" as any other archery equipment.

While our Native Americans (my ancestors) typically used long bows, crossbows have been in existence since the middle ages, so they have taken a great number of food/game animals in their own right.

I personally do not feel comfortable taking a shot with a crossbow that I wouldn't take with a long bow or a compound.

Now that I mentioned that I have a handicap exemption permit, I will also say that my state actually has a crossbow specific season for anyone whether with a handicap permit or not. The only thing I gain with the permit is the ability to use it during all of archery season, rather than just the 2 week crossbow season.

I had never had the time to do any archery hunting before my injury because I was on call and worked so much that I never was able to do any bow hunting due to work and a few guys with seniority always scheduling their vacations during season which put me out of going, and now that I did have the time to, I wasn't physically able to draw and hold a bow any more, so the crossbow exemption was my only option to be able to enjoy that kind of hunting.

I still haven't gotten a deer this year (and it's my first ever year doing archery), but I have been able to get out there and try a few times so far, and to that, I am grateful for the opportunity to do so.

Not the best picture, but at least it shows it being used.

newmemorycarddumpApril14toOct720141017_zpsf6c100fb.jpg

Back