• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Defense Load Thru 24" Fully Rifled Bore?

..got a chance to get a nib 20 gauge Field model 26" with a 24" fully rifled slug bbl. Can I shoot anything thru the slug bbl other than slugs? ..was hoping I could load it up with some kinda HD loads. ..not sure what that'd be. ..00 buckshot, maybe? ..only reason I'd go with the slug bbl would be to have a bit shorter, more maneuverable in-home weapon.

Welcome from MI!

The Box o Truth is just that, lots of good information there.

..appreciate the link to the article. ..haven't even gotten the Mossy yet. The guy only has 1 left & it'll be Sat (today's Thurs) b4 I can get in there. Wish me luck. ..getting it to replace a circa 1969, 16 Mossy I bought as a kid but sold to a collector awhile back. I'm not much of a collector. ..want shooters now. ..just think it'd make an awesome HD weapon. It seems they make maybe an 18.5" bbl that would prbly be an improvement.

..got a chance to get a nib 20 gauge Field model 26" with a 24" fully rifled slug bbl.

Can I shoot anything thru the slug bbl other than slugs

The plastic wad will quickly gum up the rifling and not recommended.

Most shotguns have smooth bore barrels.

Which you can shoot most slugs with a smoothbore, as well as shot shells.

..appreciate the comebacks on this 1. I owned a 16 ga 500 from prbly age 14 'til I sold it to a collector 45 yrs later. ..grew up with the 500. ..most intuitive thing in life I've ever owned, outside of maybe my Ruger da revolver. ..barely have to think to use 'em. Everything on these guns are exactly in my mind where they should be. The 20 has only a 26" bbl & quite frankly I figure I'll just take out the plug & go with it for HD. ..will clean/oil the slug bbl & store it in the gun cabinet. ..have a lot o' deer around here. ..just finding 'nough x away from the boss man to go get 'em is the problem. But maybe.. ..found this combo @ my local WallyMart. Heck of a buy! ..cost the same as the other guys only they threw in the fully-rifled slug bbl. ..said it was the last 1 they had & were discontinuing it. I lucked out! Put my name on it Fri. but couldn't pick it up 'til today (Sun). ..ton o' fingerprints on it Fri. I had to wipe off & went in there y'day to check to see if it had choke tubes (has 3) & had a bunch more prints. ..wiped 'em off with an oily rag. ..no permanent damage. ..real particular on my guns. DON'T TOUCH THE METAL! So what do I wanna load this bad girl up with for HD? ..was thinking 00 buckshot, but the fact is I've never thought about it. ..would be nice to buy whatever ammo locally rather than have to pay shipping. ..was in Gander Mtn Fri but they didn't have buckshot. ..slugs & 2 shot were about the closest choices. Oh, yeah, tried to upload a pic but said file too large.

You might need to resize the pics. You can do it in Windows paint.

Oh lord, the great home defense debate. There's pages of this discussion in other threads. Personally, mine is loaded with both 00, and slug. First two are buck. Then alternate slug and buck

Up close, the buckshot isn't going to spread out anyway.

I'm loaded up with all slugs.

Won't take long for the hydraulics to drain that way.

Yepper, I'm sure the topic's been hotely debated. ..many a x. Surely someone nearby sells some 00. ..just have to check around. ..got the girl home y'day, wiped her down with Hoppe's cleaner, dried 'er off & put some gun oil on the metal. ..wiped everything off the wood & plastic with a silicone cloth b4 heading to work. ..won't be able to visit her again 'til Fri. ..never even checked to see if a manual came with. ..prbly get those slugs b4 long & take her to the range just to see how she handles. It'll be interesting to see how the recoil is as compared to a Winchester 70/30-06 & a little Marlin 336 lever 30/30 I once owned. Believe it or not I'd say the Marlin was about equal to the Winchester in felt recoil. The 24" slug bbl is ported, so that should make things a bit milder. I'll have to check to see if there's a manual & if it says which of its 3 chokes to use with what'll prbly be a 00/slug combo mix. ..really like the idea of (2) 00 followed up with a slug. I'll make a note on Paint & try to upload a couple pics. But I'll tell you what: I was a 500 owner from age 14 - 59. Folks will tell ya the Mossy isn't the prettiest gun out there nor the fanciest. But I was thinkin' 'bout it on the 4 hr drive to work y'day. Quite frankly I think the gun loox great! I mean, how frigging fancy they gotta be? It's plenty good 'nough lookin' for me. Heck, there's not 1 dad-burned knot nor imperfection on the wood anywhere. Yeah, there's fancier, pricier wood but this plain, uniform hardwood Mossberg uses loox fine by my std and I'm a bit of a woodworker so I have my preferences. Heck, if you couldn't get it they'd be charging an arm & a leg for it. ..just 'cause it's common doesn't make it homely in my book. Mother Nature just put a lot o' trees on this here earth that produce a lot of decent looking wood plain & simple.

..appreciate the link to the article. ..haven't even gotten the Mossy yet. The guy only has 1 left & it'll be Sat (today's Thurs) b4 I can get in there. Wish me luck. ..getting it to replace a circa 1969, 16 Mossy I bought as a kid but sold to a collector awhile back. I'm not much of a collector. ..want shooters now. ..just think it'd make an awesome HD weapon. It seems they make maybe an 18.5" bbl that would prbly be an improvement.
Just bought the 18.5" bbl from Mossberg. $74 shipped.

Keep in mind that 20-ga 00-buck ammunition can be very very very hard to find.

Last edited:
Back