• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

DIY: Molle Anything* ~ Pictures Added

Itsricmo

.30-06
BOTTOM OF PAGE ONE FOR NEWEST POST

I have again just revisited an older thread of mine to conserve space and help the Moderators out with the Clutter :lol:

I am still trying to get my hands on a sewing machine but I have since started to design my own model of the SOE Gear 12ga Pull-Out pouch.

Re: DIY: Molle Vest or Chest Rig

From my experience, make sure to find heavy gauge needles. They need to be designed for canvas and heavy nylon.

Materials? Its nylon, heavy cordura, 1000 denier is used for some stuff. Item numbers will vary. You'll likely have to search, I don't know of any suppliers off hand. I think padding is used in some stuff, like maybe neoprene, but many vests are a mesh primarily.

I think it would be cool to be able to make your own vest!

Well I am sick of wanting to buy a vest but not wanting certain features of one and some of another... I want the full vest style of this:

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... ation+Vest

With the the Full Molle of this:

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... rrier+Vest.

I don't want the Mesh of the first...

EDIT: Here is a website that sells it readily.. Kind of expensive once you calculate shipping in too. We have Jo-ann Fabrics around my area, I am going to stop into one next time I return from work and see what they have in regards to this.

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/cordur ... 4AodIBgAAA

Walmart has some "Heavy Duty Outdoors" fabric that is similar to nylon. May be a good start for me before I get too invested

Sorry I can't help with getting you started but did want to wish the best making this. I like do it yourself stuff so please keep us posted if you make it and put up a picture if you would.

Thanks Carbinemike! I certainly plan on at least trying it. Whether it is something I make regularly or will conclude in me purchasing my own Machine, will be a result after I try it out. I think I am going to try with some of that Cheap walmart material to see what I can do first, than get more expensive materials when I am more refined.

DIY is the best! Sometimes saves money, sometimes it saves time, sometimes it is just satisfaction :)

You want us to move this to the "Bags, Gear And Load-Outs" sub-forum?

You may get some better feedback there...

LES, I am sorry... I am a mess tonight. Screwing everything up! If you would like too, I'd appreciate it!

No worries brother.

Just trying to make sure you get the best feedback possible...

Thank you very much, Sir! Hopefully I get that Sewing Machine Soon! I am getting Antsy now haha :p

Update:

Stopped by the local Jo-Ann Fabrics on my way home from work, and they do not regularly carry 1000 Denier Cordura Nylong, but they carry regular Nylon fabric and webbing for belts/molle straps.

They would order it if I would buy the whole roll but that is $140. Still looking for fabrics at an okay price.

Anybody have a general idea how much material would be need to make the vest portion? Webbing is cheap stuff so I am not worried so much about the molle webbing portion.

140 dollars is a lot but a bolt of fabric will go along way... if you could find other uses.

To get what you need, take some general square-ish measurements of say your back including what it will take to come up and over your shoulders and also around your sides. You need that times two. A yard of fabric is literally a sq. yard so you can dou yor measurent in inches or translate to feet, whatever works! ;)

Ahh!! A "bolt" is what it is called! lol I couldn't remember :p

I was going to get a measuring tape thing off my mom and do some general measurements. I may start with something like a Drop Leg Platform, which is small and hopefully easy. It incorporates the webbing, the straps and the buckles. Probably going to get cheap nylon for that :p

EDIT: Carbinemike, thanks for the link! I think I posted them above :p I like them, but the shipping will probably get me :/

Crap!...I read all the posts so far but missed that link. Scratch that idea.

haha no problem man! I really appreciate the help though! I will honestly end up getting it from them in the end most likely... My thing is, I want this vest to be EXACTLY what I want haha, so the shipping and higher cost doesn't make me wish I had just bought one and lived with it :p

Update: I should have my moms sewing machine by the 12th!! I am still trying to locate some Cordura Nylon from a local store. No luck even finding some regular Nylon to practice with.

Anyone with experience know if I should use Binding Tape?

Some use binding tape on edges or corners, but certainly not everyone.

Take a look at some of the better known products and those with a good reputation and see if you can tell if its used or not on those products. The only one that comes to mind is ITS. They use it.

I think that Condor does as well. I know the inside "seams" have some type of binding material. I will have to pick some up. I was going to do the method of sewing the pieces together and than turning it inside out.

We shall see :p

UPDATE: HELP!!!

UPDATE: HELP!!!

I stopped by EVERY WHERE that sold any form of fabris (3 places haha) and no one carries Cordura, nor can they order it. Something about it being a Brand of Nylon Vs. a fabric type of nylon, and needing a license. Anyhow:

I was told to try a Sports/Recreation Ripstop Nylon. However, this stuff is definitely too thin! I would sag and droop with any load put onto it. After explaining my purpose and intended project, the sales associate said to try "Out Doors Canvas". It seems very sturdy, is proclaimed to be tear resistant and is of the same weave style that the Cordura Nylon is.

Any one know if I could substitute this in for the Cordura Nylon? It isn't too much cheaper than the Cordura online, but I am than looking at shipping charges :/

Okay, no help... lol

I still haven't received my mothers Sewing machine. Which is okay because I am still gathering info and ideas for the Rig

Back