• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dry Firing Mossberg 702 Plinkster Questions

Scottman187

Copper BB
Hello,

I purchased a Mossberg 702 Plinkster approx 4-5 months ago. I contacted Mossberg and the representative stated that dry firing this gun was fine. I just wanted to confirm that this was ok. I know dry firing some rim fires can cause issues. The owners manual states the following in regards to function testing the rifle.

Function Test Page 15 Owners Manual Mossberg 702 Plinkster:

a. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, remove the magazine and pull the operating handle fully reward to open the action, and visually and physically check the chamber and inside the receiver to be certain the rifle is unloaded.

b. Move the safety button fully to the right to the "ON" (SAFE) position.

Close the action and leave the safety in the on (safe) position. Pull the trigger rearward fully. The hammer should not fall (No Fire).

Remove your finger from the trigger. Move the safety to the "Off" (Fire) position. The should not fall (No fire) Leave the safety in the "Off" (Fire) position.

Pull the trigger rearward. The hammer should fall (FIRE) ****** They are telling you to dry fire the firearm at this point. There is nothing in the manually that explicitly states "No Dry Firing" or "Dry Firing is Ok"

Please help, has anyone contacted Mossberg in regards to this same concern?

The call to Mossberg SHOULD be the a solid answer. Today's manuals are written for many models in one and many times - not so well.

I dry fire my 702 though not a lot. I'll see if I can find the final word. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront!!

Back