• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duty Tac Knife

Been looking for a decent quality tactical lock blade knife. SOG has a couple that interest me, but I kind of like their digi camo Aegis knife the best. Thought I'd check here to see what you guys carry before I shell out $$$ for one.

KStewart said:
Been looking for a decent quality tactical lock blade knife. SOG has a couple that interest me, but I kind of like their digi camo Aegis knife the best. Thought I'd check here to see what you guys carry before I shell out $$$ for one.

Old school. Buck 110 for the last 40 years or so. :)

buck110.jpg

While I really like a lot of knives, I will say that I've owned several of those old buck's and there is a lot to be said for that design.

But with this being posted in the LEO/MIL forum, I am going to assume this is something that you're going to be carrying while on duty, and those requirements may be a lot different than mine.

The SOG Aegis uses AUS-8 steel, which is a cheaper and less durable steel than the 420HC used in the post 1982 Buck 110. Mine is the 440C steel. The blade steel is the determining factor for me, not the bells and whistles. Many knife makers have marketed AUS-8 as the 'go-to' steel, because it's less expensive for them in manufacturing. 440C or 420HC is superior.

Here's the straight scoop on steels:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332

Just revisited this, so corrected a typo and have a question.

As far as LEO or military active, I'm curious why a folder would be under consideration at all, since sheath knives would be permitted and probably issued and are superior to any folder. I carried a issue K-bar and/or bayonet or other long blade fighting knife and/or machete in the Corps when appropriate. Never even considered a folder. :?:

I'm LE, and a sheathed knife would raise the eyebrows of more than a few white shirts. That's why the folding tactical knife is more practical. I carried a folding buck knife for years, but it's different now. I need something that is covert, easy to deploy, and as lethal as a K-bar. Both the SOG Aegis and possibly the Boker Kalashnikov seem to fit that bill. I'm not sold on either, just curious as to what other LEOs carry. Thanks for the input so far.

KStewart said:
I'm LE, and a sheathed knife would raise the eyebrows of more than a few white shirts. That's why the folding tactical knife is more practical. I carried a folding buck knife for years, but it's different now. I need something that is covert, easy to deploy, and as lethal as a K-bar. Both the SOG Aegis and possibly the Boker Kalashnikov seem to fit that bill. I'm not sold on either, just curious as to what other LEOs carry. Thanks for the input so far.

Ok. Then I'd still evaluate the offerings based on the steel used. AUS-8 is common these days because it's easily sharpened to a razor edge. But it does not hold an edge well and hardening can vary quite a bit from knife to knife because of the alloy. In LE you want reliability, durability I'd think, so I'd look for a better steel in the blade along with the other options you want. This, and similar, are stainless steel which ( generally speaking) are inferior to carbon steel in terms of toughness, edge holding, and sharpness. A custom folder using a high end carbon steel may be your best choice. You'd lose some corrosion resistance, but gain in other qualities. If it were me, I'd contact a reputable knife maker and work with him to obtain the best I could afford, rather than something "off the shelf". The difference is the same as buying a suit - off the shelf or tailor made.

Some bedside reading: http://www.jayfisher.com/Blades.htm#Car ... less_Steel

I have used a "Gerber" "Applegate combat" folder (the larger one) for close to 20 years and have found it light enough to carry anywhere without really noticing the weight (which is relatively light), but still offers a substantial blade that has never rust. It also has a locking mechanism in the event that you need to perform some heavy cutting. I do not really care for the partially serrated cutting edge but I suppose it has its use at times. It doesn't really sharpen or hold an edge as well as I would like but I have many knives and its the one that has stayed on my person and been used the most. Good Luck.

I've only been carrying it for a month now... but the Spyderco Endura 4 has served me damn well. The VG10 steel has been easy to sharpen, and holds an edge adequately.... I use my knife every day and usually freshen the blade every two or three weeks (but I do that with most of my knives :D)

I've thought about getting one of those buck knives, my dad used to own one and they're damn gorgeous. But not having a way to secure it with a clip kinda turns me off. I guess I could buy some 5.11 Taclite pants so it'll have it's own pocket!

Back