• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show Boycott

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
The Eastern Sports and Outdoor show is held in Harrisburg, PA every winter. It is billed as one of the largest on the east coast. The people that run it (British owned) have announced that AR, hi cap mags are not welcome. Cabela's announced they will not attend due to the policy change. Several have also announced that and a boycott the show effort is getting traction. From my local newspaper:

Cabela's Inc., the North American hunting and fishing retailer, announced Saturday that it will not participate in the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show to be held Feb. 2-10 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

This comes on the heels of smaller retailers boycotting because of the decision by event organizer Reed Exhibitions to ban the display and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The ban was imposed following the deadly school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that claimed the lives of 20 children and six women and reignited the gun-control debate.

Alex Cameron, general manager of Kinsey's Outdoors, Mount Joy, PA which just announced it was withdrawing from the show, said the news about Cabela's is a big deal.

The international retailer — which has 40 outdoor gear and sporting goods stores across the U.S. and Canada — is "definitely a superpower in the industry," he said.

"Their voice speaks volumes."

Headquartered in Sydney, Neb., Cabela's also was a sponsor of the event, billed as Pennsylvania's largest outdoor sports show. Other Lancaster County retailers that have pulled out are Lancaster Archery Supply and Trop Gun Shop, Elizabethtown, PA.

A post Saturday on Cabela's Facebook page explained the reasoning behind the decision.

"Due to recent changes made by Reed Exhibitions [regarding the show] Cabela's will no longer sponsor this year's event. After careful consideration regarding Cabela's business practices, and the feelings of our customers, Cabela's will, unfortunately, not have a presence at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show."

Comments on the Facebook page almost uniformly supported the move. Some posters viewed it as strong stand in support of the Second Amendment, which guarantees the right to keep and bear arms.

Re: Cabela's stands with us

glad some businesses are. dicks sporting goods isn't doing anything in 2 weeks in the sunday papers.i really think they are afraid of putting a picture of a gun out there. friggin joke.

I think a trip to Cabelas is due!!!

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Another reason I love Cabelas!!!

old mossy said:
glad some businesses are. dicks sporting goods isn't doing anything in 2 weeks in the sunday papers.i really think they are afraid of putting a picture of a gun out there. friggin joke.

Hence the name they picked fits them well.

ripjack13 said:
old mossy said:

Hence the name they picked fits them well.

My 11-87 that broke the first time I shot it was purchased at Dicks. At the time I thought nothing of it but it all makes sense now. :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: I actually did buy an 11-87 at the local Dicks and it did break the first time I shot it but for the record I don't honesly believe that they had anything to do with it.

A bunch of us stopped in Cabelas in Eugene, OR on the way to the rally. They were very supportive of us.....I was surprised how little space they gave their reloading section...lol

More are bailing on the show including a LGS, Trops, that I shop at.

Celebrities join boycott of outdoor show

Lee and Tiffany Lakosky.Exhibitors have been dropping out in what they say is a show of support for the Second Amendment.

Now the celebrities are following.

Several television personalities and expert hunters who were supposed to be on hand at the upcoming Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show to speak to attendees and sign autographs announced over the weekend they will join the growing boycott of the show slated for Feb. 2-10 at the State Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

Lee and Tiffany Lakosky, hosts of the television show "The Crush With Lee & Tiffany," lead the list of celebrities boycotting the show as a result of the announcement last week by show organizer Reed Exhibitions that assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines will not be allowed to be displayed or sold at the show this year.

The Lakoskys, deer hunters from Iowa who historically have drawn huge crowds at the Harrisburg show, were supposed to have their own dedicated area in the show's Northwest Hall.

"This was a hard decision, not because of the show and what they did, but that we won't have the opportunity to talk and shake hands with the fans that will be at the show," the Lakoskys stated on their Facebook page.

"But, we can't support a show that doesn't completely support the Second Amendment."
Besides the Lakoskys, other celebrities scheduled to appear at the show who have announced they will stay away include Jim Shockey, host of the television show "Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures," Ralph and Vicki Cianciarulo, hosts of "The Archers Choice" television show, Stan Potts, host of "North American Whitetail Television," world-famous bowhunter Fred Eichler and renowned deer hunter and television personality Larry Weishuhn.

Also vowing not to attend are Philadelphia Eagles defensive end and accomplished bowhunter Trent Cole, trick-shot archer and "Fear No Evil" television show host Chris Brackett, the cast of the "Major League Bowhunter" television show, which includes Chipper Jones, Matt Duff and Jeff Danker, and Abner Druckenmiller of FoxPro Game Calls.

In a related move, Trop Gun Shop in Elizabethtown announced late Sunday that it plans to give away an AR rifle to those who support the businesses that boycott the show "in order to support other Second Amendment patriots who have also pulled out of the" Harrisburg show, Trop's Facebook page states.

As of noon Monday, at least 57 had announced their plans not to appear, even though they each had already paid thousands of dollars in fees to Reed to be there.

Among those businesses is hunting and fishing retail giant Cabela's, which was one of the show's four main sponsors.

Locally, Lancaster Archery Supply, Kinsey's Outdoors in Mount Joy, Zook Cabins in Atglen and Trop all decided not to exhibit.

Knowing this I found myself near the StL Cabelas late Sunday pm. 30 minutes before closing. They had PMAGS in the flyer at 12.99 - I don't really need mags and they were sold out. The store is usually ravaged at the end of the weekend. What I was really hoping to find was bullets. In short order I came across Horndy V-Max in 124 9mm and 165 40 at market pricing. There were 2 boxes of each. Very cool and unexpected. I'm really looking for 223 (duh) especially rounds to continue testing my DPMS with the 1:9 barrel for the best bullets that I can load. Long story short 223 was all but empty (40gr hp - other less than interesting bullets). Then I came across a box of 223 60 gr Nosler ballistic varment rounds. They were filed back on the rack improperly and I was surprised to find them. $45 for 250 bullets is not typical fmj prices but a good deal for me and a round that I want to test and am pretty sure my gun will shoot well. SO I grabbed 1 each of the pistol jhp boxes ( there were2 on the shelf ) and the Nosler 223s. So I spent my budget and a few bucks more. Under other circumstances I'd have bought all the Hornady JHP available. And left Cabelas with 450 bullets that fit my needs a well with an unexpected smile on my face!

they had butt loads of Privi 9mm for 15 bucks, 40 s&w for 17 bucks and Rio 00B for 4 bucks......msrp but at least the had a ton

Cabelas is great. I commend them and the others for doin what BHO's dad should have done....pull out.

It's good to see campaniles like Cabelas sticking up for our second amendment rights. Here is another company that has "pulled out" of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors show!

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc, America’s oldest, family-owned firearms manufacturer, today announces that the company will not attend or support the 2013 Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania due to Reed Exhibitions’ continued refusal to reconsider their decision to ban Modern Sporting Rifles. The company in good conscience cannot attend or endorse this year’s show.

Our company’s position on the 2nd Amendment is unwavering and steadfast, therefore, we are unable to support any organization or event that prohibits the display or sale of legal firearms. We stand united with our loyal customers and supporters in this constitutional right and had only hoped for a different outcome.

O.F. Mossberg boycotts show

O.F. Mossberg boycotts show

They just announced they will not be attending the 2013 Eastern sports And Outdoors Show in Harrisberg PA due to Reeds Exhibitions continued refusal to allow Legal Modern Sporting Rifles on display.

That was announced over an hour ago on their Facebook page!!!

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=220788424610804#

Re: O.F. Mossberg boycotts show

Cabelas and OFM, that should send them a message. I hope more venders will stand up for this. If you want to send a message to a venue hit them where it hurts, their pocketbook.

Excellent. I hope the "people with backbone and conviction" movement spreads fast and far!

Here are the exhibitors and celebrities who have backed out of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show:

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/loca ... z2IpKFbaR1

Abner Druckenmiller
Ambush Firearms
American Whitetails of PA
Antler Insanity
Apex Tactical Specialties
Appalachian Big Game TV
Arrowhead Outdoors
Artistic Visions Wildlife Studio
Athens Archery
Atlantic Tactical
Avian-X Decoys
Bangin Redhedz
Bear Archery
Big Game Butter
Blitz TV
The Bear Whisperer
Benelli
Blackhawk Holsters
Bob Mercier
Bohning Archery
Bone Collectors
Boondock Outdoors
Boulder Basin Outfitters
Bowfreakz.com
Bowhunter's Den
BowHunter Planet
Bowhunting.com
Bowlife LLC
Buck Bomb
Burt Coyote Lumenok
C&D Outfitters
Cabela's
Campbell Cameras
Camo Addiction
CanCooker
Chris Brackett
Cody Turkey Calls
Cold Steel Knives
Continental Divide Outfitters
Cross Canyon Arms
Cutting Edge Bullets
Dead Ringer
Direct Action Tactical Firearms
Dirty Dog Outdoors
Domari Nolo Defense Consulting
Dominator 365
Down N Dirty Outdoors
Drakes Migration Nation
DuckWater Boats
Dunn's Knives
Eastern Chapter Wild Sheep Foundation
Eastern Outdoors
Eddie Salter
Eotech
Family Traditions TV
Farmland Trophies Outfitting
Federal Ammunition
Field Proven Calls
Firearms Industry Consulting Group
Firenock
Fish Outdoor Properties
Foiles Migrators
Forbes Turkey Calls
FoxPro Game Calls
Franchi
Fred Eichler
Full Circle Outdoors
Ghost River Outfitters
Goey Hunting Calls
Gone Wild Outdoors
Gut-N-Tag
Haley Heath
Heartland Whitetails
Herd Guard & Body Guard 360
Hevi-Shot
High Lonesome Outfitters
Honey Creek Outfitters
HookHunt
Hunters and Guides Connection
Hunter Safety Systems
Hunter's Specialties
International Bowhunting Organization
IceHole Coolers
IScope
Jay Gregory
Jim Shockey
Keystone Country Store
Keystone Elk Country Alliance
King of the Mountain Inc.
Kinsey's Outdoors
KodaBow
Lancaster Archery Supply
Larry Weishuhn
Lee & Tiffany Lakosky
Leupold
LHR Muzzleloaders
Major League Bowhunter
Midwest Whitetail Adventures
Muddy Outdoors
Dominance is Everything Hunting System
Matt Morett
Montana Mountain West Outfitters
Mountain Dog Chews
NasHunt Outdoors
National Hunting Directory
National Wild Turkey Federation
Nature Blinds
Northern Hideaway Outfitters
National Rifle Association
Ol' Man Treestands
Open Season TV
Otis Technology
Outdoor Channel
Outdoor Channel Outfitters
Outdoor Edge Knives
Ozonics Hunting
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
PA Taxidermy Association
PA Trappers Association
Pat & Nicole Reever
Pat Strawser Custom Calls
Pipeline Ridge Hunting Preserve
Primal Urge Outdoors
Primos Hunting Calls
PSE Archery
Radical Hunter
Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo
Ranew's Outdoor Equipment
Redfield
Revolution Hunting
Rhino Outdoors
Rick White
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Rougeaux Taxidermy
Ruger
Savage Outdoors
Sean Mann
SecureIt Tactical
Skull Shine
Smith & Wesson
Southern Game Calls
Spook Spann
Sportsmen of North America TV
The Sportsman's Shop
Stan Potts
State Line Bone Mine
Stay Ready Inc.
Steiner Optics
Stoeger
Stokerized Stabilizers
Summit Treestands
Susquehanna River Waterfowlers Association
Table Mountain Outfitters
Team Urban Nocks
TenPoint Crossbows
Tex-Mex Outdoors
Thompson/Center
TNT Archery
Tom Dokken
Tough Country Products
TreeRider
Trent Cole
Trijicon Inc.
Trop Gun Shop
Turnbull Manufacturing
Virginia Blade Knives
The Warmbag
Weaver's Archery
Whitetail Bosses
Whitetail Freaks
Whitetail Heaven Outdoors
Wild Outdoors
Wired Outdoors
Woodcock Limited of PA
Wyvern Creations
X-Stand Treestands
Zink Calls
Zook Cabins
2 Million Bullets
24-7 Hunting TV

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/loca ... z2IpKFbaR1

It's good to see that the companies I support are supporting my second amendment rights!

Back