• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ejection port gap

Dave_1

.22LR
I bought a 590A1 a little while back and I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet.

Today I disassembled it & reassembled it for the first time. When I was finished, it seems to work OK, but one thing I never noticed before: When the action is closed and it is ready to fire, in the upper left corner of the ejection port, there is a significant gap where I can look back into the gun. It might have always been like that, I just never noticed.

Is this the way these are supposed to look, or have I put something back incorrectly? With a gap like that, I don't know if it's going to blow up in my face when I shoot it, or if this is normal. In the two pictures, the first is looking straight at it and the second is more forward toward the barrel looking back toward the stock. I am pointing with a pencil to the gap I am referring to.

Thanks,
Dave

P1010063.JPG P1010066.JPG

Looks normal to me. It's more noticable on my "silver" bolt 500 than it is on my blackened bolt 500 TR,... but both of them have that gap. Funny, I never really noticed it before either.

My 500C does not have that much gap.

I'll have to check the 835, didn't think to do that last night for some reason.

I just checked my 500A and it looks like the opening in the receiver is about 1/4" smaller on mine. But looking from the front towards the back there is a small gap.

Mossberg Serial Numbers

Back