• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ESEE Knives

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
There are several threads for other manufacturers, but I didn't see one for ESEE. I truly find that hard to believe. They're made in the USA of exceptional quality materials and MY new favorite (mass production) knife maker. :D

Interestingly, the ESEE's have started to collect around my house since I bought my first one a while back. I started with an ESEE 3 that I found on eBay and now have a 4 and a 5 as well. My son is getting a 3 for his birthday and I just put a 3, with a glass-breaker pommel, in each of my daily driver vehicles.

The 3 is a nice, handy size with a blade that's long enough to be useful but short enough not to be considered a knife in Nebraska.

Can you say, "addiction"? :D

Here's the 5, 4 and 3 from left to right.

IMG_0124.jpg

The 5 is a big hog of a knife, weighing in at a full pound. The blade is 1/4" thick and there's a divot in the handle (not shown in the pic) for your fire bow drill. It's a fantastic chopper and pretty much capable of handling any other firewood-related chores around camp. It's literally an alternative to a small machete (depending on your intended use of the machete).

All of the ESEE's are made of high-carbon steel that will take and hold a razor's edge despite all kinds of abuse. I've been able to baton several pieces of wood and still shave hair off of my arm afterward with the 5 and the 3. I haven't tried it with the 4 yet, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't perform as well.

Welcome to my nightmare!

I've looked long and hard at the ESEE line, especially the 3 as a boot knife. Made in Alabama, too! I'd love to work my way in for an invited tour of their facility and pick my knife up in person. They even engrave badge numbers and other cool identifiers on special request, which I think is just cool as all get out.

cool ! never heard of them but I love a knife that you can wail on the spine with something heavy and turn it into an ax......and it takes it

ESEE's are good looking knifes...Have you seen the ESEE 5 that is done in a bright, lime green, (venom) powdercoat with safety orange G10 scales...wow!

I've considered getting an ESEE 5 off and on for awhile...I've seen them price around 140 bucks. Which is not a bad price, since the warranty travels with the knife and is good for the life of the knife. Break it, bend it, wear it out whatever the issue and the send you a new one, no questions asked, thats their policy.

Update; did some looking and about 50% of the knife sites I visited that carry ESEE knives were out of the ESEE 5's...Though I did find that the Knife works has them in OD green plain edge at 129.95, thats the lowest price I could find...

100_1122.jpg

100_1123.jpg

100_1121.jpg

I like these but wish the handle was bigger...I bought these cause I seen a vid of this guy cutting a 4x4 in half and then shaving his arm.

The Beckers collect around my house....

I just added a BK16 :lol:

I have wanted an ESEE 5 for some time now...hummmm...129.95 plus shipping.

Welp!....there went the knife budget...tapped out!

"I once heard that Chuck Norris tried to use an ESEE 5 as a tooth pick and chipped his tooth ...."

DSCN0117.jpg

My new ESEE 5 plain edge in OD green still sealed in plastic... :lol: :cool: :cool: :twisted:
Now I need to loose the cheesy metal belt clip and get a Molle back panel and a front pouch... ;)

Gunner said:
DSCN0117.jpg

My new ESEE 5 plain edge in OD green still sealed in plastic... :lol: :cool: :cool: :twisted:
Now I need to loose the cheesy metal belt clip and get a Molle back panel and a front pouch... ;)

After that, you can do this to it.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Holy S****!!!! Mud....is that the mustard etched one you did? That looks flippin cool!!

Mundinyeri

What are the marks on the blade of your ESEE? are they from use? It looks as if the metal is etched. I'm new to ESEE knives, and have yet to see one with serrations so I have to ask. Did you do the serration on the blade or is that the way the come?

I have started to get acquainted with my ESEE 5, some initial observations. It has a full tang, no voids under the scales. The knife scales are held in place by three opposing screw sets that thread into aluminum ferrules, all in all, pretty solid.

It came fairly sharp, so they did a decent job on the edge before it left the factory.

If I have a kick it's that a Molle sheath back and front pouch can be had for a bit over half the cost of the knife. Rather expensive little pieces of nylon...WOW!

I can buy a leather shoulder for 70 bucks, make exactly what I want sheath-wise, add a pouch, ferro rod loop etc. and still have most of leather left over. I think thats what I'll do, that way I get the sheath I want...done the way I want it done...It'll be functional and look good to boot...

ripjack13 said:
Holy S****!!!! Mud....is that the mustard etched one you did? That looks flippin cool!!

Yes, that's the mustard patina.

Gunner, my 5 was starting to show signs of use. The powder coat was starting to wear. Once it wears through, moisture can get underneath and rust can start where you can't see it. So, I stripped the powder coat off of the blade and forced a patina (which helps prevent rust) with yellow mustard.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Yes, the blade came with the serrations. It's been sharpened several times, however, so the serrations have worn down some.

Edit: In case you didn't see it, here's the stripping process writeup that I did: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4062

Thanks Mudinyeri!
I'm kind of hoping, that as the finish wears the exposed steel would not actually rust, but develop a gray pastina. It is a new knife and I'm curious as to how well the factory finish will hold up...It looks to be pretty tough...lol

I like what you did with yours...very nice!

DSCN0119.jpg

On second thought....And after climbing down off the wall...70 BUCKS!!!! :lol:
I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought the sheath backer and pouch...
I'm impressed! Though have yet to reach the point of ESEE addiction...

Back