• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FAMILY GENEALOGY

S

SHOOTER13

I can trace my family roots back to the end of the 4th century AD...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Donnell_Clan

==================================================================
Coat of Arms

UWILLCONQUER-1.jpg

In Hoc Signo Vinces ... meaning "under this sign you will conquer".

=================================================================

O'Donnell (Irish: Ó Donaill or Ó Domhnaill), which is derived from the forename Domhnaill (meaning "world ruler", Rex Mundi in Latin, Modern Irish spelling, Dónall) were an ancient and powerful Irish family, kings, princes, and lords of Tír Chonaill (rendered in English as Tyrconnell or Tyrconnel, known today as County Donegal) in early times, and the chief allies and sometimes rivals of the O'Neills in Ulster.

The jewel in the O'Donnell crown was Donegal Castle, one of seven O'Donnell castles, and now a national monument...

DONEGALCASTLETOWER.jpg

... the history of the O'Donnells is for the most part a record of clan warfare with their powerful neighbours...

=================================================================
Public House in Ireland

ODonnellsPub-1-1.jpg

Saint Kevin's Church

STKEVINSCHURCH.jpg

Celtic Cross

CELTICSTONECROSS.jpg

===================================================================
The Emerald Isle

DONEGALIRELAND.jpg

====================================================================

SOOKIEIRISHFLAG-1.jpg

IRISHCHAINMAIL-1-1-1.jpg

Re: Let's See Those Custom/Rare Blades

Very nice! My Pop has been working on tracing our lineage.

What I know so far is that the anglicized spelling of Madden came from the Gaelic O Madaidhin, meaning descened from Madaidhin who's name was derived from the word for hound or mastiff. Other common variants to our name are Maddigan, and MacAvaddy. Clan members were the Larkins, Finnertys, Cosgraves, and Mooneys.

Here's our Coat of Arms...

The shield: a Sable, a falcon volent, seizing a mallard argent. The falcon signifies one who is eager in the pursuit of his objective and symbolizes a noble and strong spirit in enterprises of honor. The black sable denotes constancy.

The crest: a "wolf salient gules". The wolf is an ancient symbol of one who is careful in attack, and therefore dangerous to approach or engage. The color red was historically symbolic of military fortitude and was also known as the color of martyrs.

The mottoes: " Propria virtute audax"- "Daring in the cause of virtue. Also, "Christo duce vincamus"- "With Christ I will conquer".

Re: Let's See Those Custom/Rare Blades

Awesome family crest and history Sniper...

Maybe we should start a sub section for others to share their genealogy...and move these posts over there...

What say ye ?

Re: Family History

My family supposed comes from County Fermangh, in the north. Great grandfather, a fisherman, emigrated from Ireland to Canada, where my grandfather was born. Grandad subsequently went to sea as a young boy, wound up in the U.S. Navy during WWI, which is how I supposed he earned his citizenship. Grandad wound up with a master mariner's license and retired as a sea captain. Helluva man.

That's a great lineage Brazos !! ...you're the next county over from me...our families probably met up with each other at one time or another.

We'll add another Irishman to the list...and thanks for sharing !!

SHAMROCK2.jpg

Failte, slainte agus saol chugat! - "Welcome, good health and long life to you!"

Looks like we all might be cousins!

XGnNX.jpg

this is the one i keep getting referred to online when i was researching us a couple of years ago.
(side note...it's the mossberg colors on the ornamental ribbon.)( it must be destiny )
the green represented the forest.
and what looks to be trees are arrow heads.

my younger brother is putting together a family tree. on paper. its friggin huge so far. like 3'x3'. it's actually quite neat.

my grandfather had this one in his house ...
1KhNG.jpg

which means.. (choose one below...)
i finish the race
i accomplish the race.
my journey is over.
i finish my journey

there's a few variations of the actual meaning. what it is supposed to be referring to is , "the hunt",
as in when they went hunting. .

so..with that said. i'm scottish. but i have an irish tattoo.....go figure.

Very cool coat of arms and motto Ripjack !!

Notice how the background of the shield is "Hunter" green

Scotland and Ireland share much of the same history...they may have been invaded and colonized... but NEVER subjugated !!

Flag of Scotland...Saint Andrews Cross

ScottishFlag.jpg

Scotts Rampant Lion

SCOTSSHIELD.jpg

Thanks for posting...

German and Irish here. German side came here in the 1700's and the Irish side in early 1900's.
Carlin (Irish side) , Hoffman(German side). No motto for the German Hoffman but there is a crest. The Irish side has both .My Grandma and Aunt went back to Ireland met family and brought back an original crest, it has two lions facing each other with 3 stars and an open hand.....the motto translated into something like “a petted cat is calm” ….cant remember exactly but the relatives told them the crest was over 400 years old. My Aunt has it now, family lives in Limerick

That's a good mix Oli !!

Both Irish and German lineage are strong, proud peoples...known for their hard work ethic.

Thanks for sharing !!

My husband is German and Irish, and his name, Harvey, is German. I have Portuguese on my dads side of the family, that's where I get my tan skin from. I don't know a whole lot about the history because I didn't know a single person from my Dad's side of the family until I was 28...2 years ago...My maiden name is Damazio, and I met some Damazio's for the first time and they happen to live 15 minutes away and happened to be my Dad's brother's kids. So they are my cousins. Crazy! One of my Damazio Cousins that I met does Major Motion Picuture Films. He has worked on Star Wars, Friday Night Lights, Pearl Harbor, and lots more. It's cool cause he has pictures on FB with all the actors and on set. Another interesting fact that I found out when my cousin (from my mom's side) did a family tree in High School and found that we are related to Judy Garland (Dorothy from Wizard of Oz). That's about all I got. lol. Nothing too interesting I guess. lol.

I forgot to mention that I'm a twin, my cousins are twins (my moms brothers kids), and my great grandmother is a twin, also my moms side. We have 36 sets of twins in our family.

Yes boys and girls. My cousins are fraternal boys, and my Sis and I and my great grandmother and her twin are identical girls. I haven't met all the twins...I just knew that info from my mom, grand mother, and great grand mother....which all 3 are no longer living so I can't get more details now that I'm older and would like to know.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
now that I'm older and would like to know.
weird how that works, I'm 39 now and find myself wondering all kinds of crap I didnt care about 15 years ago

oli700 said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
now that I'm older and would like to know.
weird how that works, I'm 39 now and find myself wondering all kinds of crap I didnt care about 15 years ago

Yep, same here...

I have a good deal of info, I'll post it up when I have my interwebs!

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
I forgot to mention that I'm a twin, my cousins are twins (my moms brothers kids), and my great grandmother is a twin, also my moms side. We have 36 sets of twins in our family.

WOW...now that's some family history !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back