• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Feds over reach in my back yard

I hadn't heard anything about Agenda 21. So went and did a quick read, and stangely, the first thing that came to mind was The Hunger Games. Yes as a 30 year old male i have seen the first two movies. Not bad actually. but it is all based on government control of commodities and technologies.

Yes, it's very much like the Districts in the Hunger Games series.

I looked again for articles etc on what's going on at the mine in Oregon and most are a week old. I The newest was 3 days old and didn't really didn't have anything new. They did file a lawsuit against the feds and the southern poverty law center has, as expected, publicly sided with the government.

April 29, 2015

***URGENT***

The security personnel at the Sugar Pine Mine in Merlin, Oregon have gone from being armed guardians of the miner’s 5th Amendment Rights to one defensive in nature. The reason for this is it appears the BLM has taken steps to escalate the situation. Currently there are surveillance teams openly watching the command center. Sources have revealed and it has been confirmed that private armed security forces (mercenaries) were brought in to Grants Pass by the BLM.

These are private contractors and not law enforcement. That is an important distinction to make. Oath Keepers has not escalated any activity, so the question must be asked, if the BLM did not intend to use these resources, why are they here? This represents a significant escalation on the part of the BLM. They have taken the situation from one of peaceful resistance to one potentially volatile in nature.

as reported from the Oath Keepers boots on the ground this morning

I've heard of places hiring gun thugs, and it's happened a lot around my neck of the woods, but it usually ends badly. This is probably the most prominently known time.

It's even where the term "redneck" originated.

The miners tied red bandana's around their neck so they could identify each other.

I know it's not the same situation Oli, but there are still a lot of similarities.

This took place just outside of Pikeville, KY in Matewan, West Virginia

It was also near where the Hatfield/McCoy fued took place.

Oli, by no means and I making light of the situation there. But it's not a new tactic.

no, its the same more than its not. History repeats itself ,sometimes not exactly, but it repeats itself . There are pockets of like minded , traditional Americans that have been the same way for lots of years and will never change, submit or compromise our way of life...I think we each live and will die in one of those pockets , hopefully of old age

Well said^^^^^

Hired thugs would certainly change things and none of it for the better. I'm sorry to hear that.

Here's one I found from two days ago.:
Oath Keepers Come Out To Heckle Oregon Residents Who Want Armed Gathering To Disband
By David Neiwert

Perturbed by the influx of armed militiamen bristling with guns and angry rhetoric into their normally quiet little town, residents of rural Josephine County, Oregon, are fighting back, asking the assorted “Oath Keepers” and other “Patriots” who have arrived recently to ostensibly defend a local miner to pack their bags and leave.
As if to prove their point, a number of Oath Keepers showed up on the scene last week and heckled local residents, intimidating them into retreating through the courthouse where they had stood to hold a news conference on Friday.
The community residents – who included a sporting-goods business owner, a former dean at the local community college, and several local church leaders, each of whom read a prepared statement – spoke to reporters outside the Josephine County Courthouse in Grants Pass.

“Certainly the miners are entitled to get their fair day in court and not have anything done to them until after the legal process, but they don’t need gun toting people coming around, threatening the whole community,” said Jerry Reid, a former dean of Rogue Community College.
The news conference, held in response to the rally organized by the mine’s supporters outside Bureau of Land Management offices in nearby Medford on Thursday, was organized by a local man named Alex Budd, who told Hatewatch he simply was concerned about what he was observing in the community and on the conspiracy theory corners of the Internet, where the hopes of another Bundy Ranch-style armed standoff run high.
“I want to acknowledge that it takes courage to be here today,” Budd said in introductory remarks to the press. “I think we all know that here in Josephine County, we’re very diverse folks, and you can find people of just about every stripe. One thing I think we all agree on is that we should not be afraid or intimidated within our own communities to speak to our neighbors.
“But that’s where we find ourselves today. And that in itself tells you that what’s happening here is wrong.”

“Over the last few years, I’ve gotten more and more questions from my customers about the safety of coming to Josephine County to recreate,” sporting-goods business owners Dave Strahan said, describing how his work required him to travel the region widely. What he called the presence of “nutty, tough-acting, gun-toting thugs” is driving away visitors by reinforcing the perception that southwestern Oregon is a dangerous place.
Joseph Rice, coordinator of the county’s Oath Keepers chapter and one of the leaders of the Patriot encampment outside of Grants Pass, near the road leading to the disputed mine, began heckling the speakers as they took questions from reporters.
“Have any of you ever talked to the miners?” he demanded to know. When Strahan retorted: “I’m not here to answer your questions, Joseph,” Rice nonetheless persisted. “If I understand correctly, you’ve never spoken to the miners?”
According to Budd, at that point others in the small crowd joined in. He said that Brandon Curtiss of the Idaho III Percent chapter that was part of the encampment “came up to me right afterwards with Joseph Rice and was filming me on his cell phone, and they were trying to heckle.” He said another local Patriot started ranting at him, at which point Budd and the rest of the group retreated back through the courthouse, because “we didn’t want to let it turn into a shouting match.” He said another Patriot kept sticking a camera into his face as he tried to conduct an interview with a local TV reporter.
“It was blatantly clear they were there to try and intimidate people,” Budd said. “They were shouting that we were wrong and sticking cameras in the faces of community members to record them. It was definitely meant to be intimidating; our group went back inside the courthouse and everyone left out a back door because they didn’t want to have to walk through them again.”
Afterwards, Rice and his fellow Oath Keepers held court with the press. “These groups coming in or not pushing any national agenda, the mining owners came directly to us and asked for assistance. Here’s the fact of the reality: if the BLM was following constitutional due process this never would have occurred,” Rice told reporters.
Former Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson – a longtime leading member of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association, the “Patriot” law-officers group led by former Sheriff Richard Mack – was among the faces in the crowd. He told reporters he had made several trips to the mine.
“Nobody’s talking about violence. They’re not here for violence. They’re here to make a point and that point is the federal government has overstepped some of its bounds,” said Gilbertson.
At the center of the dispute is the Sugar Pine Mine, whose owners – Rick Barclay and George Backes – received in March a “letter of noncompliance” from the BLM informing them they needed get their operation into compliance with federal regulations for mining on federal land. The letter gave the owners three options: to cease operations and clean up and leave; to bring their operation into compliance; or to file an appeal of the BLM’s finding with either its regional chief or with a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit of Appeals.
The mine’s owners filed the paperwork for the latter option on Wednesday, and then on Thursday told the assembled supporters and the press that they were being denied their rights to due process. Barclay in particular has been adamant in claiming that the BLM would come in and remove his equipment and destroy his cabin even while the process was being adjudicated.
“Just because I turned in my paperwork doesn’t mean the BLM won’t come up there tomorrow and set everything on fire,” he told Hatewatch.
Mary Emerick, the Josephine County Oath Keepers’ spokeswoman, issued a statement decrying the press conference: “We are not seeing armed men with long guns in our city. We are not bringing demonstrators into the city. In fact, we carefully screen our volunteers. We have asked that if you come with a different agenda or to stir up trouble, DO NOT COME, we do not want you. We are keeping the peace. We are protecting the mine from a specific threat and we are assuring that due process takes place.”
In the meantime, the “III Percenters” from Idaho responded to the conference by compiling a video of support from locals who say they are happy the Oath Keepers are present.

Is there anything new on this? News is hard to come by which I don't like and take as a big negative. The article below was from the d-bags at Huffington post from 5/4 and updated on 5/7. They mistakenly try and compare the events in Oregon and the riots in Baltimore and blame racism for the lack of federal action out west.

Provocateurs flocked to the scene, hoping to provoke a bloody confrontation. Armed protestors descended on the government office, claiming injustice and demanding accountability for the government's actions. Having already received innumerous death threats via telephone, government leaders elected to close the office to protect the safety of employees and visitors alike. Their ability to maintain the rule of law hung in doubt.
Does this sound like a scene from the recent riots in Baltimore to you? If that's what you're thinking, you're mistaken.
The events described above actually took place 2,800 miles away last week in Grants Pass, Oregon, where a band of gun-toting insurrectionists have gathered in response to a dispute between local miners and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The co-owners of the Sugar Pine mine, Rick Barclay and George Backes, claim to have surface rights to the plot of land, in addition to mining rights (which are not in dispute). BLM notes that the surface rights to the land were ceded to them by previous owners in 1961 and states, "[Barclay and Backes] had ...begun putting up a house on public land; and had failed to file appropriate mining plans with the BLM."
Barclay and Backes, fearing a "land grab" by BLM, then put out a call to the Oath Keepers, a radical anti-government group, and asked them to provide "security" at the site. The initial response was from the Oath Keepers chapter in Josephine County. Since then, heavily-armed anti-government radicals from across the country have flocked to the mine, including the Idaho III Percenters, Central Oregon Constitutional Guard, Michigan Militia and members of the family of Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher whose armed standoff with BLM made national headlines last year. The private consortium that owns the mine has published a statement declaring that this is "a once-in-a-generation prime opportunity to strike at the heart of the very surface management authority of the DOI and USDA."
The situation has gotten out of control quickly. Barclay himself described it as a "circus" and pleaded with his volunteers to "stop calling the BLM and threatening their personnel." When it was announced that armed protesters would gather at BLM offices in Oregon on April 23, the agency closed its offices in Grants Pass and Medford, stating, "The safety of our employees and the public continues to be our top priority." In an incredible act of courage, 12 Josephine County residents calling themselves Together for Josephine conducted a press conference at the county courthouse the very next day where member Jerry Reed said the following:
I'm deeply concerned that our community is being used as an opportunity by an outside paramilitary organization to exploit a local, legal dispute to advance its own national, anti-government agenda. We hope that the miners' legal dispute will be resolved without violence, but the presence of these openly gun-toting, anti-government partisans is truly frightening and risky for all of our local citizens, and for our country generally ... The presence of this organization with all of their guns and implied threats is bad for the image of Josephine County, our economy, our local business, our tourist industry ... Please put away your guns and let the legal process, rational discourse, and old-fashioned negotiation determine a nonviolent outcome for the good of all of us who live here and for a better American way to resolve conflicts.
Members of the Oath Keepers showed up at the event to harass and intimidate Together for Josephine. Sadly, Reuters has been one of the few national media outlets to even mention the crisis at Sugar Pine mine.
Meanwhile, last week's rioting in Baltimore soaked up 24/7 coverage from virtually every national media outlet in America.
The rioters in Baltimore weren't middle-aged white men. They weren't armed with semiautomatic battlefield rifles equipped with high-capacity ammunition magazines. They weren't wearing body armor. But unlike the insurrectionists at Sugar Pine mine, they faced a massive response from government that included the deployment of National Guardsmen, over 400 Maryland State Troopers, and nearly 500 law enforcement officers from outside states. More than 200 Baltimore residents have been arrested.
I certainly don't condone the violence we saw in Charm City. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke truth when he said that "violence and hate only breed violence and hate." "Fiery, demagogic oratory in the black ghettos urging [African-Americans] to arm themselves and prepare to engage in violence...can reap nothing but grief," he warned.
That said, the younger protesters who turned to bottles, rocks and fire have every right to be outraged at the brutal treatment of Freddie Gray, and so many other young black men in the city. Despite the media's singular focus, it's also patently clear that the overwhelming majority of residents in Baltimore protested peacefully. This includes the countless residents who turned out to clean up their city and 10,000 who peacefully marched through downtown Baltimore to protest police brutality.
More to the point, though, it's nearly impossible to miss the double standard here when it comes to upholding the rule of law.
We are more than two weeks into the standoff at Sugar Pine mine, and there is not a single national television camera in Grants Pass. Not a single national politician has had any words of criticism for the insurrectionists who have threatened the lives of BLM agents. And the government? The government has retreated quietly into a corner and allowed the Oath Keepers to prevent them from doing the job that American tax payers task them with doing. Not one arrest has been made.
Can you imagine what would happen if angry young men of color spouting insurrectionist rhetoric gathered outside a government building with handguns and assault rifles and prevented officials from doing their job? The government's response would be massive and immediate. Political commentators would clamor for direct action to eradicate these "thugs."
The last time I checked, however, we are all supposed to be equal before the law. That is not happening in today's America. If we are going to use the power of the state to make sure that violent rioters in Baltimore don't have the run of the streets, then there is no legitimate rationale for allowing armed insurrectionists to take over our public lands and threaten government employees with death.

They seem to have left out the part where nothing in OR was burned, looted, or otherwise destroyed beyond repair by an angry mob. Why was there no coverage in OR? The media doesn't like showing the feds get their asses handed to them on live TV...

I fail to see the correlation between rioters and the reference to "a radical anti-government group".

On the contrary, my opinion of the Oath Keepers is exactly the polar opposite as they describe. And I think most here would agree that they've seen Fed. overreach by agency heads more in the last handful of years than anytime in our entire lives.

**MAJOR VICTORY TODAY**

Today marks a victory for defenders of the Constitution at the Sugar Pine Mine in Merlin, OR.

This morning, the Interior Board of Land Appeals issued a Stay of Enforcement against the BLM, barring them from any enforcement action against the mine prior to the scheduled court date.

Pursuant to this, the Oath Keepers of Josephine County have issued a stand down order for security forces at the mine.

Through the tireless efforts of the Oath Keepers, III% groups, Patriot Railroad (and of course the donations made by Tactical Shit ), and other affiliated groups, the miners have not been deprived of their 4th and 5th Amendment rights against unwarranted search and seizure and due process.

Great job Patriots!

Shouldn't have to get a court order to make the blm f-off and lay down to start with.
agreed, but then again the miners BLM "unintentionally" burned down thought that too......that's what led to this

That's good news Oli.

It's sad it had to go this far. However, if these last 2 incidents have drawn attention to another growing issue with government over reach...then lets hope with the legal process in play that the courts will see fit to uphold the constitutional rights of the miners. And, with each incident that arises hopefully more and more people will become aware.

Back