• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally got to fire my Model 500 today.

TomcatPC

.270 WIN
Hello
Basically the title says it all. I took my 1979 New Haven 600A to a free shooting range operated by the Michigan DNR (Thank You!!!) called "Lost Nations". It is about an hour from where I live.

Burned up a box of 7 1/2 birdshot by a brand called "Estate", it was cheap, did not recoil that bad. It stopped the charging Sprite can that I dug out of the rubbish bin and threw out for a target LOL.
The problem I had was that quite a few of the shells "hung up" in the chamber. I worked the action on a few and they finally extracted and ejected, but a few I had to "dig out" with my pocket knife.

Not sure what that was about?

Then I fired ten rounds of 00 Buckshot, made by a company called Suprema"?...it was cheap LOL. These fared better in the extracting and ejecting operation, but not perfect as a couple did hang up.

So, I cleaned the gun, next time I'll try a "brand name" of ammo and see what happens. If I have to swap out extractors and or springs...it is not the end of the world.

The photos are bad...yes I know, it was cold and I was there to make noise before the sun went down LOL.

Also debuted my Remington Model 11 16 Gauge Autoloading Shotgun. This gun from 1936 performed flawlessly...
10696309_917419621643318_1810185942109327635_n_zpsfe9a1039.jpg

The unfortunate victim...

And the part we all love, cleanup.

That was the first time I ever fired a shotgun with that short of barrel (18 1/2"), little thing was "handy"...I like this size. I think that what I have (12 gauge Model 500 with 18 or maybe 20" barrel) is close to what the USN was using when I was in, 1989-1993?, how would I know, I was just a PC in a Fighter Squadron LOL!!!
Next time I'll try it with the regular 28" barrel. Maybe I can con the Wife into pulling some clay pigeons for me?

Even thought I had the ejection issue, I still had fun and that is why I bought this.
Mark

I know this is a Mossberg site...but dang...think I'm really grateful I found that 1936 Remington Model 11 (Three shot "The Sportsman" version) 16 gauge!! It fired without a hitch, and was fun too. Think I might need to get into hunting now?, or find another excuse to shoot it more? LOL

Also took a few revolvers along and fired a 50 rounds out of each. .32 Colt New Police out of a 1910 Colt Police Positive, .38 S&W out of a 1942 S&W M&P and .38 Special out of my 1966 S&W M&P Model 10-5.
Need to take this little drive more often.
Mark

Last edited:
might want to check what the inside of the barrel looks like where the shell sits. if its machined on the rough side it will cause the shells to hang up.
most folks have no issues with those brands.

Alright, the gun itself is from 1979, but the 18" barrel is brand new. I've done some reading online and some people talk about polishing the chamber? Might have a go at that.
I'll put the original barrel back on and run some empty hulls through and see if it still has hang ups.
Mark

^ Yeah, throw some regular high brass shells in there and see how they do.

You don't have to shoot a bunch of 3 inch nitro mags or anything, but at least something that isn't low brass plinking/skeet shot and see how you do with that.

Also, not sure if I told you already, but I'm a big fan of 16 gauge. I'm not sure why they're not a lot more popular than they are.

Regarding the issue of shells hanging up in the chamber and not getting extracted you may want to replace the extractor springs. You can get them at Havlin Sales. If your firearm was stored for many years with the action closed those springs would have been compressed a bit. They may have taken a bit of a set and may have lost some range of motion.

Last edited:
Very common problem. Wally World Winchester is well known to hang up in the chamber, in fact Benellis (chrome-lined...) are the only thing I've had that will run it. I am not familiar with the brand of ammo you have; however it doesn't sound like premium grade stuff.

The low grade ammo is complicated by a not-that-great chamber. Click Here For More Information. We have not tested to see if it really makes a difference in extraction; however I believe it will. Cowboy action shooters commonly polish the bore to aid the extraction of their doubles.

Keep the pocketknife in your pocket and get yourself a good wadknocker. A heavy brass cleaning rod works well.

Springs wear out from cycling, they Do Not take a set from being stored in a compressed state. Springs do take a set upon initial use. This is accounted for, in other words they're slightly long and will rapidly compress to the correct length, weight etc.

Oh. And good lookin shotgun. Almost like a old Po-lice gun. With a vent rib.

Springs wear out from cycling, they Do Not take a set from being stored in a compressed state.

I've heard many say yes they will and many say no they won't.

But I've seen it happen more than once. Especially on some really old guns.

I don't even store my weapons with the hammer cocked. And on guns that lock the bolt open, they're all closed, etc.

I am of the camp that believes you store a weapon in the most "relaxed" state as you can where springs are concerned.

I'm sure there are others who disagree, but I know some of what I have seen.

I'm going to swap out extractor springs, both sides. This gun is not ancient compared to what I usually gravitate towards, but springs from 1979 would not hurt to be swapped out.
Wally World Winchester?, take it that is Walmart Winchester?, do they make shells just for them? I know that is where I got the "Suprema" 00 Buckshot at, the "Estate" shells I got at Meijer's (sort of like Fred Meyer's, but here in Ohio).
I've got two boxes of Federal, one Winchester and one Remington right now, all of them 6-8ish birdshot. I'll have a go with the Federal's next time and see what takes places.
I store all my firearms with the springs eased, actually the only time I ever cock them is doing checks, and when I'm standing in front of a target and going to fire. Never have them cocked at any other time. This shotgun I have now...only God knows how it was stored, used, shot, etc before I got it, so changing 1979 vintage springs is not a big deal.

Having said that, how big of a deal is it to swap springs in the extractors? I've had the gun apart and got it back together no problem, but can't recall how the extractors are secured to the bolt.

And I tend to have a pocketknife on me at all times (when I'm fully dressed LOL) as I have a 1950's Imperial "Kamp-King" on my keys all the time and another single blade pocketknife in my other pocket.
Thanks
Mark

Did a bit of price checking on Havlin Sales site. If I have this right, and the parts for a 590 will also fit a 500 (parts prices were not listed for 500)?, it seems that the prices are a lot cheaper than Numrich? I was going to order from Numrich at first, then someone reminded me of Havlin. My one order from them was a good deal, so think I'll give them the business again. I've always had good things to say about Numrich as well, but if I can save a couple dollars...

Yes, I do too think it looks like a vintage Policeman's Shotgun. If I still lived in Alaska, I think this would find a home behind the back seat of my Ford Ranger? But, that will have to wait until I return to the Last Frontier...
Mark

Federal Bird Shot is the way to go. All of the buckshot seems to do OK.

The extractors are pinned and staked into place. The pins don't come out easy. When re-installing you may want to use Retaining Compound.

I figure you'd be better off getting a good used bolt, especially since yours may not even have the firing pin spring.

Call Havlin and get the complete bolt. (636) 937-6401

Tell them you are from MO.;)

I just ordered the extractors and springs... Oh well...see how this goes.
Mark

Update...Just watched a Youtube video, it seems straight forward. If I do bugger this up...then I will ask for help from people paid to do this.

Also ordered an extra spring, just in case one of them goes boing into the black hole of Calcutta.

Last edited:
Alright, the extractors and springs came in last week. Got the old ones out with little drama, got the new ones back in with fair amount of ease, not a bad deal at all. Did not bugger the pins up.
Went to the range and fired some Federal Target Loads and Winchester Heavy Target Loads. Performed flawless!! With the exception of one fired shell that was tough to extract, and I think that was because it was dropped in the snow/mud and became FOD-ed, so I call that a fluke due to FOD.
I was pleased overall.

Also got to fire my Stevens 520 12 Ga. Really a great feeling to "rescue" a 90-ish year old shotgun from a pawn shop, clean the heck out of it and have it perform flawless. But this is not a Stevens forum, so I'll shut my gob about that.
Mark

Back