• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firing Pin Protruding from Bolt

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
So I was cleaning my kitty kat last night and I noticed when I was cleaning the bolt that the firing pin was protruding from the bolt out the face a little bit (not flush as I can feel it when I run my finger across it).

I checked out my 930spx bolt and it was inside the bolt (less than flush)

Is this a cause of concern for my 590?

The shotgun has had about 2,000 rounds through it and has been dry fired quite a bit. Although I do use snap caps often.

My firing pin is also less than flush with the bolt face. Im sure you checked for anything jammed in the bolt, try removing the firing pin and look for any harsh marring on the firing pin and in the bolt.

I'm going to have to order a punch and hammer set to get into the bolt and firing pin.

It fired fine last I took it out. But I dont want to ignore a possible issue down the road.

Water Monkey said:
I'm going to have to order a punch and hammer set to get into the bolt and firing pin.

It fired fine last I took it out. But I dont want to ignore a possible issue down the road.

unless you are going to use them for heavy duty use,take a ride over to harbor freight,,,,

CENTEREACH, NY #00376 (0.7 mi)
1932 MIDDLE COUNTRY ROAD
CENTEREACH,NY 11720
631-585-2374
Store hours:
M-F 8:00AM-9:00PM
SAT 8:00AM-9:00PM
SUN 9:00AM-6:00PM

cool thanks mossy. That's not far from my gym. Maybe I'll take a trip this weekend.

,,,no problem neighbor. :)
harbor freight stuff is made in china,but for what you need the punches for they will work fine.(and save a lot of bucks over snapon tools) :D

took her apart again today. Checked it out again. Looks like the back where the firing pin is struck is a bit recessed in.

Could be an issue with the pin which holds the firing pin in place after looking up a disassembly video on the bolt.

That would suck.

Water Monkey said:
took her apart again today. Checked it out again. Looks like the back where the firing pin is struck is a bit recessed in.

Could be an issue with the pin which holds the firing pin in place after looking up a disassembly video on the bolt.

That would suck.
could also be spring or dirt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU5egptBIw

Well I stopped by a sears hardware and got me a quick punch set for $11.

I hammered at that damn bolt for over 25 minutes and the pin would NOT budge for the cocking hammer to get to the firing pin.

However I have deduced the problem:

Looks like the firing pin is moving through the spring inside which it shouldn't.

Could be that either:

1) The spring is worn and allowing this to happen

2) The firing pin is worn down and it is sliding through the spring

3) both

Either way I cant get to it.

Possible issues down the road = light primer strikes

I'm going to order another complete bolt set somewhere out there in internet land. I'll give it another go tomorrow by saturating the bolt in some oil to hopefully loosen up those pins holding it together.

Annoyed.

Water Monkey

PS

Upon thinking there may be another issue I'm not thinking of... the washer in the bolt. I dont think it's there anymore. I remember cleaning it a while ago and noticing some washer pieces inside the receiver wondering where it came from.... that was around the 1,500 round mark. I bet that's the reason! I bet the washer is what keeps the firing pin from sneaking into the spring.

PPS

UGH

Called mossberg and getting a whole new bolt is a "restricted"item. I will have to go through a gunsmith to get it. WTF? You need a gunsmith certificate in order for them to send it out. Got to be freaking kidding me.

if that little washer is missing,that is your problem. it is shown in that video i linked.

as far as the pin not coming out,if you are talking about the very small one,it needs to be tapped out from the bottom of the bolt.

one other thing, i know a lot of people will disagree,,,,but,,,as a young lad i was taught never to dry fire a weapon. could be you did a bit too much dry firing. JMO.

keep us posted neighbor.

Called mossberg and getting a whole new bolt is a "restricted"item. I will have to go through a gunsmith to get it. WTF? You need a gunsmith certificate in order for them to send it out. Got to be freaking kidding me.[/quote]

Havlin=$45.

Just caught this……it would help if you could post pics of you observations and if that pin isn’t staked, it probably designed to only go in and out from one side or the other.
One thing to remember when it comes to working on guns, there is a reason for everything and don’t ever beat on anything for 25 minutes.

Do your shells have dented primers just from chambering?

Have you noticed any malfunctions?

How many rounds do you have through it roughly?

I hate that gunsmith only shit they hand you…all the manufactures have that

oli700 said:
Just caught this……it would help if you could post pics of you observations and if that pin isn’t staked, it probably designed to only go in and out from one side or the other.
One thing to remember when it comes to working on guns, there is a reason for everything and don’t ever beat on anything for 25 minutes.

Havent checked on the shells having dented primers from chambering but I will tomorrow.

I think I noticed a light primer strike last outing.

About 2,000 rounds through it give or take a couple of hundred.

I will call Havlin on Monday. But looks like I have to hand in my bolt to them which leaves me down my HD shotgun... no bueno. My pistol is currently being worked on for night sights and being NY it will take a couple of weeks for the installation.... dont get me started on that!!

Water Monkey said:
oli700 said:

Havent checked on the shells having dented primers from chambering but I will tomorrow.

I think I noticed a light primer strike last outing.

About 2,000 rounds through it give or take a couple of hundred.

I will call Havlin on Monday. But looks like I have to hand in my bolt to them which leaves me down my HD shotgun... no bueno. My pistol is currently being worked on for night sights and being NY it will take a couple of weeks for the installation.... dont get me started on that!!

who's doing the pistol sights,,,,local,,,,,maybe take the bolt over to him???

Not local. Took it to Campsite in Huntington and they couldn't do it... so I ended up going to Colessium over in Uniondale and left it with them and I wasn't happy about it leaving my slide there.

I've heard horror stories of marred slides from places in Suffolk so I took a chance over in Nassau. Hoping I get back a un-marred slide or I'm gonna be pissed.

Not a great week so far. I just emailed my wedding DJ because I want to fire his non-responsive ass. We live in the internet/email age. It doesnt take 3 weeks to work out arrangements. Considering I booked him over 1 year ago.

If I wasnt on a strict diet I'd be drinking right now lol

can you post a few pics of the bolt and both sides where you are having problems with the pin?

Back