• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Rifle!

WVOIFVET

.22LR
Picked up my first rifle about a week ago, only thing I dont like about it is it didnt come with iron sights! I bought the rifle for $290 without a scope, and bought a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 with CF 500 reticle for $100. What do you think of the scope? I went with that over a Tasco just because I know Bushnell is a good brand for optics, but I know nothing about sights! I havent had the chance to shoot it yet, but I am looking forward to it... the largest rifle I have shot to date has been a .30-30 lever. How much more kick can I expect out of a .30-06 compared to the .30-30? I have Winchester Power Point in 180gr. Total of about $430 in the rifle with gun, scope, rings, and ammo... not too bad for first time I think!

Actually, tasco and bushnell are owned by the same parent company.

Not to split hairs, just different stickers on the boxes.

Bushnells are certainly not bad scopes, especially if you're intended purpose is to land deer! Having shot both the .30-30 and a .308 ATR... I would imagine the kick [from a .30-06] with such a light rifle as the Mossberg to be quite a bit heavier than a wood stocked lever action... but certainly manageable!

I like the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn series of scopes. They are a lot of bang for the buck. I've bought several and not been disappointed.

Lots of centerfire rifles which we expect to wear scopes never include iron/open sights. It's normal. Usually only really big bore (think North American Big Game or Africa) bolt guns come with good iron sights. Your .30-06 rifle will recoil more with bullets over 180-grains, but still less so if you choose standing, sitting, kneeling or prone shooting positions. If you set yourself up to shoot seated from a shooting table or bench with rests, and you are leaned well into the gun but your body can't flex with the recoil, you might feel like you're shooting a 12-ga with 3-1/2" slugs.

It's all about shooting smart and not being rigid.

nitesite said:
I like the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn series of scopes. They are a lot of bang for the buck. I've bought several and not been disappointed.

Pun intended on that one ;)

I know that there's at least one ATR model that has iron sights, but most come bone stock. I'm actually looking at buying your same model, same caliber... throwing a boyds laminate stock on it with a Redfield Revolution 4-12 scope. I just gotta find the funds first :lol: OH YEAH... we want pictures please!

nitesite said:

Lots of centerfire rifles which we expect to wear scopes never include iron/open sights. It's normal. Usually only really big bore (think North American Big Game or Africa) bolt guns come with good iron sights. Your .30-06 rifle will recoil more with bullets over 180-grains, but still less so if you choose standing, sitting, kneeling or prone shooting positions. If you set yourself up to shoot seated from a shooting table or bench with rests, and you are leaned well into the gun but your body can't flex with the recoil, you might feel like you're shooting a 12-ga with 3-1/2" slugs.

It's all about shooting smart and not being rigid.

30-06 is a big bullet with a lot of velocity, and from experience it does deliver a pretty good whack. But with proper hold (using the sling) it is manageable as nitesite said. I fired my first 30-06 when I was around 12yo and about 120lbs soaking wet.:)

Here's some comparison with other calibers.

CommonAmmo.jpg

And some ballistics for Hornady 180gr: http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Sprg ... rformance/

Full ballistics chart for multiple cal. http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/bal ... istics.pdf

And more specifically a recoil table from Chuck Hawks: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm Your rifle will hit about twice as hard as your 30-30.

Back