• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Shotgun, finish normal?

Burnsy

Copper BB
Hello all, I hail from the world of rifles and handguns. My father in law gifted me a brand new Mossy 500 Flex. I received it last night, brought it home, cycled the pump say 7 - 9 times, put it away. This morning I got up, cleaned the lube out of the barrel, wrapped it in a towel (no case yet) put it in my truck and took it to my father's house where I put four rounds through it. When I got home I cleaned the bore and gave it a good looking at.

I am noticing small scratches and dings in the finish on the receiver and mag tube that were not there when it was given to me yesterday. Is the finish really this delicate? I have been carrying a glock on my side almost every day for 2 years and it shows less wear. I can link pics if it helps but is this just normal?

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined.

There will be inevetable streaks on the magazine tube bluing as a normal part of a pump shotguns action, not unique to Mossberg. I'd love to see a couple pics of the magazine tube and receiver marks.

A glock finish is made into the metal where as the finish on the mossberg is either blued or parkerized and the receiver is anodized aluminum and will show wear and scratches easier.

I wouldn't be at all worried about it.. I just swapped out my barrel and tube not that long ago, so mine doesn't really have wear or tear on it but my original 18.5" and tube had bare steel showing where the slide assembly rubbed against the respective parts.. keep it well lubed/oiled and it won't be an issue :D

Back