• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flat Matte Black Finish

cbshooter

.270 WIN
Ok I have tried to find info on the finish on my new SPX 930 unit# 85360 but I have had no luck. The finish looks like spray can paint and not a very good one at that. When I took the gun out of the box the rear sight fell off (it only fell about 1 inch) and it scratched the finish on the receiver. Has any one else thought the finish was below par? Has anyone changed the finish on their gun? This is my first Mossberg and I am not happy with the finish. Every gun I have owned had a better finish than this one. I am new to this forum and would appreciate any advice you all can give me. thanks Clint

Sorry to hear about the scratch CB.

When I received my 590a1 I was disappointed in the appearance straight out of the box. Upon further inspection I realized that the gun simply needed a thorough cleaning. There was a film over the entire gun that needed to be cleaned off. It almost looked like the carbon scoring that build up during fire. Once I gave it a once over it looked like a different gun.

Some 930 models do come in a blued finish, but your particular model is listed as matte black. Mossberg's matte black is more of a parkerization that can be a bit less resistant to showing scratches. This non-reflective surface is used on a wide variety of purpose built firearms from hunting, to tactical and home defense, and police and military. I actually prefer the matte finish to blued in my long guns and pistols. Both my 590 cruiser and my 590a1 have the same finish as your 930 and the majority of scratches on mine are superficial and buff out pretty easily. If the scratch is deep enough to need repair, Birchwood Casey make a line of "touch-up" pens and other products specific to parkerized finishes.

Hope this helps...

Yeah i have had plenty luck with birchwood casey blueing touch-up, only problem, it only works on steel not aluminum...but other than that...mine has some scuffs from shipment..nothing to frown over..its a fighting shotgun, there is always going to be scratches and nicks on the thing....i know its tough to see a scratch...but we all tend to live with them...:) or you can get alumahyde paint, and redo the receiver...

I have the same 930 and have to agree about the finish. Out of the box there were several nicks down to bare metal, and a scuff here and there in the flat finish.

I didn’t think the packaging was very good at all and expect that’s where all the blemishes came from. I would think that if just bouncing in their box did that I can expect a lot more in the time to come. I guess when it gets too ugly I have to refinish it.

Back