• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FNG from CA

Twelve Pump

.270 WIN
Stock Mossberg.jpg 500 with Wood Furniture.jpg L&M Mount and Surefire 6PX.jpg Hi guys, I just bought my first shotty in over 20 years years, an 8-shot 500. Owned two 5-shot 500s and a Winchester 1300 before and really missed having one of those blasters around. Partial to Mossies due to their superior ergos and balance. Had been postponing the purchase of a 590 A1 forever until I came to my senses and realized that, for my use, a 500 was all I'd ever need. And at the price those go for there was no need to save. A 12 gauge pump is a hell of a tool for all kinds of purposes... :D

The black plastic had to go, though, and I was surprised by how hard it is to get wood furniture these days. Ended up with an eBay set that I refinished and also ordered a new one from Mossberg. More on that in the CS thread. One SureFire 6PX in an L&M mount, a few slugs and buckshot and I'm all set.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so thanks for the pics of your 500. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Excellent, welcome to MO! That 20" 500 is my all time favorite, we've even shot birds with it and my older daughter is using it now for turkey season.

It doesn't have the reach a dedicated gun may, but within a certain distance it's not bad at all and even perfectly lethal for game! It's most commonly used with 00 for varmints and predators. The right ammo makes all the difference.

You've got a fine gun!

Mine shouldn't address anything else than 2-legged predators and I got it for the longer tube rather than the longer barrel. So the only other load I consider outside of 00 is slugs. I prefer the balance, weight and maneuverability of the 5-shot 500, but this one is kind of a SHTF gun for me and capacity mattered somewhat. I was also beginning to feel uncomfortable relying on handguns exclusively, ya know? Shotguns have a lot more authority, especially if vehicles are involved.

This 500 is a great gun for sure with great purity of lines and clarity of purpose. I was tempted by the 590, but that one extra-shot was not critical to me and I didn't want to make the gun even more front-heavy. And the lines are so iconic (not a rational point, I know). :) The older I get the more drawn I am to simplicity too. And it's hard to get any simpler than a pump shotty with a bead on it. The light is my only concession to the reality of low-light encounters and my having only two hands - I don't mount them on my handguns.

Boy have I been the FNG a lot in my life. However, I know that saying that you are the FNG here will matter not the least on this forum.

I love the fact that you wanted wood furniture. It's kinda a recurring theme here among some of us, and you really just added positive karma with switching out the black stuff (not that there is anything wrong with black stocks.....)

"Cue Seinfeld...."

Nice Shotgun.

Haha! Nope, not that there's anything wrong with plastic, nitesite... Ah, hell, of course, plastic is wrong! It's an artificial material that's not grippy so sweaty or bloody hands can't get decent traction no matter how much texture you give it. And then it's too light, which upsets the native balance of the gun. But, and most of all, it has no soul or character! :D
Now I make an exception to all this for rubber and did consider Hogue furniture because of that. Rubber is warm, comfy and grippy. I love Pachmayrs, for example. But rubber still fails miserably at item #3 and it gets too grabby on clothing so I still prefer wood to it. I wanted black with stainless so I currently have ebony grips on my 1911 right now (gun snob alert ;)).

Thanks for the welcome, all! You sound like a great group (most gun people are). :cool:

Welcome from MI!!

Welcome, where at in California? Spent the best years of my life in San Diego and hope to return as soon as I can.
I bought one plastic stock set for my Mossberg 500, just because I wanted to have a set that was close to what the USN uses and I would feel less frustrated if I buggered it up whilst shooting, if I ever take it out in the "bush", etc. I have two sets of wood for the same gun, and I am thinking of swapping back soon.
Mark

I work in LA and live in Santa Clarita, Tom. Never been to SD, but I know it's lovely down there.

You know, I rag on plastic because it's fun to be a gun snob and to play the old fart, but it's low-maintenance and practical. Did you get a Mariner? This gun makes a lot of sense too if it's going to be banged around or be outside a lot. Mine is going to 'live' on a stand by my bed and could also see some trunk time in its soft case if we go on tactical alert around here :eek:. So hopefully it will have an easy life and never see any action besides some range outings now and then. I wiped it down with Renaissance wax and, frankly, wanted a looker as much as a reassuring self-defense tool. ;)
I just ordered a blue Commander and some medallion grips for the same reason when a stainless one with rubber grips would make more sense (my primary is stainless). With time I tend to surround myself with objects that provide both function and aesthetics (a nostalgic aesthetic at that). Sort of a gun feng shui thing... :rolleyes:

And thanks for the welcome to all who keep chiming in!

Last edited:
I had a Winchester 1300 made in CT in the mid 80s. It was a 28" field barrel with wood. It looked nice. I put a set of 1300 defender furniture on it ASAP.

I have literally dragged guns through the field and while I love the classic wood I'm afraid of damaging it. I have a Hogue set on my 500 and the factory synthetic on the 835 which I want to change to Hogue as soon as I can. IMO/experience, wood fails the grippy test. I can't say enough for the Hogue, I'd buy it over and over again!

Last edited:
My Mossberg 500 is just a regular 500, actually started life as a New Haven 600AT.

Beginning

First "Riot" Conversion

Next incarnation. My attempt to recreate something that would have been used in the USN during my time (even though I never had use a firearm in a Fighter Squadron at Miramar LOL).

Final incarnation. I said I'd never put plastic* on a firearm...well I can take it off if I want LOL. *Vintage Bakelie, Gutta Percha and Hard Rubber found on the stocks of my Webely & Scott, Colt Police Positive, and the buttplates of my 1898 Marlin Shotgun, Crescent 16 Ga. Stevens 520 and Browning Model 11 are excluded LOL!!

Good thing is I can revert back to it's original 1979 hunting shotgun version in little time. Or find two or three more Model 500 Receivers and have one in each version LOL.
Mark

Since you are in Santa Clarita, check out the oak tree shooting range if you have not already.
I have, of course. Great facilities!
IMO/experience, wood fails the grippy test.
Can't touch rubber for that, but wood is a natural material. By modulating the pressure of your skin on it you control the grip. Rubber stays tacky no matter what, and that's great, but it's also why it's usually not looked on favorably for concealed carry, for example: it doesn't 'know' when to stop grabbing at things, unlike checkered wood. Once in the hand the feel of rubber is great, though, and it cushions recoil too. I've had Hogue and Pachmayr on handguns and loved both for range duty and training.
Now urethane-covered or varnished wood is worse than plastic and horrible for traction, that's for sure, and that's why I stripped my furniture and only lightly oiled it. It is a bit slick, it's undeniable, but there's enough real estate on a long gun and with checkering it works for me. Plus I'm betting on very short, um, encounters.

We probably all have to find our own poison based on our tastes, uses and circumstances and that's why there's all these options. And to be honest, some of the choices I make are not 100% for functionality. Nostalgia and history register high with me when it comes to cars and firearms. Not to the point of crippling these tools' abilities, but I accept a certain amount of performance loss for something that appeals to my eyes and hands. If I competed (raced) or were a professional gunfighter I'd leave history to the safe (garage) and carry (drive) what absolutely works the best (likely rubber in the case of gun stocks). I make the same exact case when it comes to some retro mods I've done on my Dodge Challenger, and also recognize that it's not for everybody. I like a touch of wood. :D
131.JPG169.JPG

Nice, TomcatPC! I do the same thing with my guns, collecting parts and accessories to give them a makeover when the mood strikes. Feels like owning an arsenal and it breaks the monotony. :)

Back