• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Folding vs. Fixed Stock

cbassillo

Copper BB
Hey everyone! I'm new here, and to the world of shotguns. I've been looking around at different options for my Mossberg 500 and I'm stuck on choosing my stock. I have heard a couple people complain about the folding stock, which I initially wanted to get a side folding adjustable from ATI. I have visited the review forum, but still wanted to see what everybody's favorites are. I'm pretty small - 120 lbs. at most, but I'm 5'10". I'm not delusional enough to think I can erase all the impact of recoil, but was wondering of anybody can give me some added input on which stock works for you.

Anybody have experience with the ATI six position folding stock or the Phoenix Technologies tactical pistol grip? I was leaning toward ATI or the BlackHawk Knoxx, but I had a guy telling me that the BlackHawk wasn't fitting well on his Mossberg and hated it, which is strange because so many people seem to be so impressed with it. Any input? Problems experienced with certain stocks? Thanks all!

If you go the folding or collapsible route make sute you still fall within the laws of your state. Here in MI, depending on barrel length, a shotgun with a folding stiock may have to be registerred as a pistol.

If you like the std style stock. Hogue makes a short length of pull (12") stock that is a couple inches shorted than a normal stock (14-14.5" LOP). You can also get a youth stock (12-13" LOP). A lot of people like the short LOP for HD guns or hunting guns where the user is wearing thick clothes.

I don't have personal experence with the other models you've listed but I know many others here have.

Blackhawk works, bottom line is it is not for everyone. You will hear all kinds of good and bad. If it is shot the way it was intended to be it works great and is every bit as good as any stock out there and better than most, other than there in more potential to break because it has a lot of moving parts but the GEN I is built nice and tough. The only thing tougher is a traditional synthetic stock, I would bet my Blackhawk will take more abuse than any wooden stock before breaking and It doesn’t seem as delicate as an AR buffer tube.

A folding stock is cool if you have or see a need to stuff it in a smaller place for some reason.

Some people think a Mossberg doesn’t work if it has a pistol grip stock on it. It works for me just fine and I have no problem what so ever manipulating the controls of my shotgun. It dose change the control layout from what the factory intended it to be but it is doable and the people who say it sucks are really just splitting hairs. I have practiced and practiced with this set up so much I don’t even think about it anymore and I am fast at it so it works fine for me. I rarely need to push my action release as it is because I keep my shotgun with the hammer down and I would dry fire the empty chamber in a fight if it went that ar so no need for the action bar there. As far as the safety I would click that off well before I needed to fire and wouldn’t fiddle with it in a fight because in my lifetime of shooting I have conditioned myself to keep my finger off the trigger till I need to fire, or pull it for some reason. For me the pistol grip offers more than it gives up in inconvenience so I have learned to work around the very slight inconveniences.

The Gen I did add some weight to the gun if that is a concern but that weight helps combat recoil even more. The stock isn’t really meant for solely scrubbing recoil but is intended for a faster follow up shot and the lack of recoil is a nice bonus. It can be argued all day long and it will. I am a big dude and can tame recoil as good as anyone, that being said the Blackhawk gives me faster follow-up shots , and I can shoot more hot rounds before discomfort sets in….a lot more.
This is all what I have experienced…..not some tactical operator or what a friend of a friend told me , or what some trainer said in a 1000 dollar a day class but what I have learned from my own experiences through a crap load of shooting and an open mind

Here is some info on the GEN II…the first runs are breaking . They have a fix at the factory but we havent seen it yet so I cant comment
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3260&start=0&hilit=broke+Gen+II

Hmm, seems like that's what I have been hearing -- the "yay" and "nay" opinions based on preference. I have just the pistol grip on mine. I have a feeling, given my weight and the fact that I'm a novice with a shotgun, that I'm going to want something to butt up against my shoulder, though I think I'll probably shoot it first "as-is" and then try out a fixed stock. It seems like the folding stock isn't something I specifically need. Maybe if I feel that way later, I'll try one of them out. I'll see what is comfortable for me.

I'll check out that Hogue stock, MikeD. And thanks to oli700, too, for your input. For the meantime, I'll keep checking out reviews and see what people say about the different styles. I'm not in a rush, I just figured a lot of you guys have had experience with more than one of the choices out there. It's nice to hear comparative results like that.

As far a stocks go, I use both the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil reducing stock and a Hogue Short LOP...

Both stocks have their distinct advantages, as described above. The Knoxx is on my range gun and I can put a hundred rounds down range in a single trip without feeling like I need a shoulder transplant. It makes 12ga full loads feel like a pillow fight. I run the Hogue short LOP on my 590a1 and the ability to tuck the weapon in closer to the shoulder definitely helps manage recoil. I love them both and they've each seved me well.

Those are both awesome looking weapons. I kind of narrowed down to those two options - and also was thinking about the Phoenix Kicklite. A lot of people have said the recoil was much less, though heard there was a need of modification because the grip gets in the way of the slide release...? I'm definitely liking the look of that Knoxx stock though!

Blackhawk with the power pack and the high cheek piece which I recommend if using any sort of optic

IMG_0307.jpg

Let us know what you decide on. I am also in the process of customizing my 500. Would love to see some pics after. :)

I dont mind throwin my opinion in here too! :D

We have the Hogue short length of pull (LOP), 12" traditional stock on our 590A1. Same as what LES posted above on the lower 590.

198486_1714645381035_1085205913_31502522_4181502_n.jpg

My daughter, about 5' tall and 90 lbs, shoots the gun and does it well. We dont have any optics on it so the traditional stock is fine and we get a good solid cheek weld, consistently. The recoil pad is actually kinda plush by comparison to the factory recoil pad.

The shorter length of pull being 12" long allows her (and I both) to get our stance squared up behind the gun. Standing perpendicular with the gun also helps to reduce the affects of felt or perceived recoil.

I think its an attractive and economical alternative to the factory stock! ;) I love the Hogue stuff, they also have matching forends!

Well, I would caution against swapping out stocks until you got a good feel for the one you already have...shoot the gun and put some lead down range before you decide. If the stock places the trigger too far away, then try a shorter LOP ( length of pull ) stock. Good luck with your new toy...

Always good advice, for my short buddy it wasnt really the trigger but the forend that was too far away...go figure

Good point Shooter! And tru dat Oli on the forend! I hated reaching so far to the forend!

SHOOTER13 said:
Well, I would caution against swapping out stocks until you got a good feel for the one you already have...shoot the gun and put some lead down range before you decide. If the stock places the trigger too far away, then try a shorter LOP ( length of pull ) stock. Good luck with your new toy...
From what I understood she doesn't have a stock currently, just a pistol grip....

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
FYI...

Opticsplanet.com has the Hogue Short LOP stock/forend combo on sale for $59.99 with free shipping right now. Hard to find a better deal out there...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/hogue-mossb ... 05032.html

I agree, I dont think you will find a better deal on an excellent traditional short LOP stock, especially given the free shipping! I absolutely love the Hogue stocks and will continue to recommend them on every occassion to do so!!! Good find LES!

Always glad to help,

That's where I found mine. Paid about ten bucks more at the time, but still got the free shipping.

I have a Knoxx on my 835 and I love it. It feels like somebody throwing marshmellows at me when I shoot it. I also put the Limbsaver pad on it and it's perfect for me...
Have you seen the Comp stock by Blackhawk? it looks like a normal stock but with a recoil reducer in it...here's the link to it...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/compst ... 55,165.htm

Back