• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forend strap

I'm new to this. I just got a 1989 mariner 18.5" with the speed stock. Never been fired! I dressed it up a little to be a "tactical" weapon, although it already fit that purpose. I am trying to keep really nice and to that end I am looking for a forend strap with both the Mossberg logo and the flag sewn on. I think that this option may be a 590 option. Any suggestions? This is a very well run forum with a great amount of good data.

Welcome aboard Sir.

Glad to see you're finding the forum useful. Honestly, your best bet for finding the forend you're looking for is on ebay. They pop up there every once in a while when someone replaces it for something a bit more tacticool. You might even get lucky here if someone has one they're willing to part with...

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy. Sounds like a nice mariner,you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Thanks all, the Mossy is for a photo a local dealer wanted of a tactical mariner. It started with me commenting that my gun was bust camouflaged for a fight in my kitchen, being that it matched appliances. I agree. Perhaps I need a sling swivel to mount a kitchen towel. It actually has a strap now, I am simply looking for the one Mossberg made with the flag. It has Rio low recoil 00 in and on it and I'm putting the NcStar back on a friends 22 as soon as my SightMark ultra dual shot shows. My guess is that it will never be fired. There is a second home defense 12GA in the house.

oldlrrpguy said:
I'm new to this. I just got a 1989 mariner 18.5" with the speed stock. Never been fired!

I'd love to hear how you came upon a never fired 1989 mariner. Even better a pic or two.
Sounds like a beauty.

Mossberg told one of the members here with a polished mariner 590 that they never made a true SS gun. They said it was a high polished finish. ?????

It is not stainless, although I think the slide action assembly may be stainless. It is nickle plated and shines like new without a mark on it. The attachments I installed are all lined with either Teflon tape or mole skin so as not to mar the finish

I had a close friend with a very nice collection. He got cancer and was gone in 6 weeks. He left me (my choice) of guns and his wife insisted I collect. I actually took the Mariner because it was the least expensive gun he had and I figured his wife would need the money from selling the rest. I helped her sell the stuff through a local gun store. Now I'm glad I took it, it will never be fired as long as I have it.

Interesting note: When I took the weapon, I checked it and it was loaded, one in chamber, safety NOT ON! Also one round in the magazine tube was in backwards. Go figure.....the owner was x-military and a pro. someone other than he must have been screwing with it or his medicine had an impact on his thought process. A great lesson here...every gun you touch is loaded all the time!

If I figure out how to post a photo or 2 , I will.

oldlrrpguy said:
It is not stainless, although I think the slide action assembly may be stainless. It is nickle plated and shines like new without a mark on it. The attachments I installed are all lined with either Teflon tape or mole skin so as not to mar the finish

I had a close friend with a very nice collection. He got cancer and was gone in 6 weeks. He left me (my choice) of guns and his wife insisted I collect. I actually took the Mariner because it was the least expensive gun he had and I figured his wife would need the money from selling the rest. I helped her sell the stuff through a local gun store. Now I'm glad I took it, it will never be fired as long as I have it.

Interesting note: When I took the weapon, I checked it and it was loaded, one in chamber, safety NOT ON! Also one round in the magazine tube was in backwards. Go figure.....the owner was x-military and a pro. someone other than he must have been screwing with it or his medicine had an impact on his thought process. A great lesson here...every gun you touch is loaded all the time!

If I figure out how to post a photo or 2 , I will.

The photos need to be resized. You can do it in Windows paint. Also photo bucket.

Back