• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Found something better than buying my 590A1...

I agree, no cutting. It will come free, even if a little difficult. May have to grease it with lard or rub it down with bacon or something... :D JK! It will wiggle free though! ;)

The Hogue may be more difficult goin on.

The OFM factory LOP measures to about a rediculous 14 3/8"...

Thanks guys. It didn't seem right to have to cut it. The youtube video method was like performing surgery on the forend.

I unthreaded the nut half way, pushed on it and that go it loose. The Hogue was much easier to slide together. In no time I had it back together. I liked the feel and grip on the Hogue but it seemed to have a lot more play than the Mossberg piece. I was also getting a metal on metal sound from it. I put the Mossberg forend back on, the sound went away and it did seem to have less slop. I swapped the Hogue back on, made sure everything was seated properly and it was the same. I put the Mossberg forend back on for now as the last thing I need in a home defense gun is it making an ill timed racket. Any ideas beside contacting Hogue?

On the plus side I can take the weapon down and put it back together faster and faster.

Thanks.

I too have a Hogue forend on my 500. The movement doesnt bother me but the sound doesnt seem right.

The Hogue is entirely non metal so that leaves whatever other metal parts are involved in the swap as the variables.

You could find somethin to coat the magazine tube like baby powder or grease or anything that will stay put, soapstone may work too. Put the Hogue back on and cycle the action. Look for signs of "wear" in whatever media you choose and see what parts exactly are rubbin.

I was out of town for work and finally got some time to look closer at the Hogue forend versus the Mossberg part and why the Hogue seems to have more play/slop and noise. Since the guts of the forend is the same for each I looked at the clearance between the tube and the forend. The Mossberg was a very tight fit and the Hogue wasn't. I used some masking tape on the forend tube to take out the play. It took some time to get the right amount that wouldn't peel off when I put it together. That seemed to do the trick and the Hogue now has the same play and noise of the original OFM forend which I like a lot better. I don't like the idea of leaving the tape in place forever but for now it's on there. Any thoughts?

While away for work I had very little free time but did manage to visit the Cabelas there (just north Phoenix, AZ in Glendale). I picked up a Limbsaver, single point sling and a cheapy butt stock slip on shell holder for the 590a1. I also grabbed a red dot to play around with on the 5.56 carbine. Now I just need some range time to try the changes out!

Back