• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FTF issue with 930

dww

Copper BB
Just got my brand new 930 auto loader. I'm having FTF problems.
When bolt is locked open, I drop a shell in the receiver and press the bolt release button.
Shell elevator will lift the shell up but not fast enough so bolt slams on the shell and rim of the shell would get stuck in the rim of chamber. This is not a problem if I do it with barrel pointed up, but it's almost 100% FTF when I do it with barrel pointed downward.
Any fixes and suggestions?
Please see pictures below.
DSC04578.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

I feel your frustration, I had some similar issues at first also. Have you shot your weapon yet or is this just out of the box? Also, does it do the same thing when loading through the mag tube by cycling fast with your charging handle? Have you tried various loads to see if there is one load that works? Remember that it takes every weapon a certain amount of time to break in. The bolt and lifter timing are designed to operate under high speed and pressure very quickly.
Perhaps you could give us some more details to help you with this issue.
Welcome aboard also.
Best regards....

If this is a brand new gun then clean it out thoroughly and relube. The thick grease they come with does not allow the parts to move at the speed they should and can cause problems. I had similar issues with mine when it was new. If that's not the case let us know so we can try to debug this furthur.

It looks like your ejector is full of factory grease or crap. It's not snapping over the rim quickly enough.

That would be my guess. Disassemble the bolt and clean out the whole ejector. Lube sparingly with a light oil or CLP.

+ 1 to the cleaning advice above.

If you haven't stripped and cleaned it yet it's like trying to cycle rounds with elmers glue in the action...

Thank you all for your replies.
I took your advice, took the gun apart again (took it apart before I went to the range yesterday), cleaned and oiled all moving parts. This time, I took one step further, punched 2 pins out and took out trigger assembly where shell elevator is installed. I cleaned and lubricated trigger assembly and put the gun back together.

THE PROBLEM STILL EXIST!

Here's how I can re-create the issue:
1. lock bolt open
2. point barrel downward to the ground
3. drop a round into receiver
4. press bolt release button

The elevator doesn't lift shell fast enough before bolt slams forward and starts to push shell into chamber.

I'm not sure if after hundreds or thousands of rounds, the recoil spring will loosen up, thus allow more time for the elevator to lift shell into position before the spring pushes bolt and make contact with the shell. Will try to contact mossberg tomorrow and see what they have to say.

It will be interesting to hear Mossbergs response.
I have a couple of questions at this point.
Did your weapon fire ok at the range? With a variety of loads or just one?
When you recreate the stoppage, have you checked the condition of the rim of your shell for burrs? This is a sure indication of a faulty extractor. This condition can smooth out over time, but some times need help.
Does the stoppage occur with all brands of ammo?
.Can you point the barrel down and load it by charging from the mag tube by your charging handle?
Based on these answers and others we can start whittling it down for you.
Regards...

Yes, I've fired the weapon at range. With federal birdshot #7.5, #8 as well as winchester birdshot.
Also fired S&B 00 buck.
When I recreate the jam, it's recreated with a brand new round out of the box in perfect condition w/perfect round and smooth rim.
I'm not sure if it's the extractor, because I'm pointing out the jam when manually loading a round, though it does happen sometimes when firing as well jaming the next round.
I haven't had a single eject failure, every round fired was ejected successfully flying out of the receiver.

OK, let's tackle this a bit further. The extractor will grab the rim of the shell on the feeding cycle and helps guide it into the chamber. This guiding process also uses the lifter to raise and align the shell. Adjustments can be made to either to tune the action. This requires intricate knowledge of the situation. I need to know if your weapon will cycle a shell into the chamber from the mag tube using your charging handle while pointing the barrel down.
Also, how many shells aprx would say have you fired?
Please cycle a new shell then check the rim with your fingers all around the rim checking for burrs. If there are any present, it indicates a problem with extractor which can influence the feeding as indicated above.
Best...

Yes but the OP still doesn't address whether or not he disassembled the bolt and ejector. If he had already cleaned it before he took those pictures. He needs to go back and clean it again. Preferably with some automotive brake cleaner or Berrymans Chemtool. Blow it out with compressed air and then re-lube with a really light oil.

He also needs to run a patch with a solvent down the recoil tube and clean that out real good. Then Lightly (And I do mean very lightly) coat the inside of that tube with a light oil.

Back