• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghost Ring Sights

590a1 Ghost Ring question?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I've asked around about this on a couple other forums and they said I should come here and ask. I'm looking at purchasing the 590a1 with the 20 inch barrel, parkerized and the ghost ring sights. The model number is 51663 and what I wanted to know is if the front sight is silver soldered onto the barrel and if/when I get it, should I put loctite on the screws of the rear ghost ring? Also, I've heard from some people that the 590a1 has a rather stiff action, does this smooth up with shooting? I definitely will shoot it a lot!

Re: 590a1 Ghost Ring question?

I have the exact model you're lookin for and yes, the front sight is soldered on. I haven't done anything with loctite to the rear sight yet, but I tend to wait until the need presents itself.

The action can be a bit stiff, but that's nothing a few trips to the range won't cure. Mine was tight, but after a thorough cleaning, a few drops of oil, and working the action a few dozen times it loosened up nicely. I'm on the way to the range with it now to loosen it up even more...

Thank you, also I was looking at Aimpro Tactical a while back and saw that they have an action job for the 590/590a1 that makes it really smooth for 75 bucks. Has anybody had experience with this action job at all?

There are a couple other guys on here with that very model!

I believe the front blade is silver soldered and if you use any loctite it should be the blue and on the screws holding the rail to te receiver.

The action can be rather stiff at first and it does slick up after some use but remains very positive feeling. I plan to do sme video in the near future chambering, firing, and ejcting shells with one hand. Not a huge feat, but just to demenstrate how the action gets smoother and easier to manipulate while retaining a positive lock up.

trevor2894 said:
Thank you, also I was looking at Aimpro Tactical a while back and saw that they have an action job for the 590/590a1 that makes it really smooth for 75 bucks. Has anybody had experience with this action job at all?

Nothing against Aimpro, but save your money.

Just got back from the first range trip with my 'a1' and after putting 100 rounds through it the action is smoothe as silk.

My original 590A1's action is soo smooth now it almost feels like a semi auto. I've put so much ammo through it, Slugs, 00 Buck down to #8 birdshot and everything in between and it surely helped smooth it out..

Dude, I think you're gonna love it, good choice! ;)

I think so too, I've been eyeing the 590a1 shotguns for a couple years now and have wanted one but then I'd see a rifle I wanted or some other item for different hobbies I enjoy and just never got around to it. Now all I have to do is save up some money. Dang economy! :roll:

I know what you mean, I find it increasingly more difficult to sock away gun money!

I haven't done anything with mine but shoot it and clean it. After the forst time of putting some rounds down the barrel the action smoothed out beautifully.

They are designed to be used and abused. They only get happier as you do this. :cool:

Happy savings!

Ripsnortr, Right on, they just get better!!!

I have one more question, is there any type of ammo I should stay away from? I figure a lot of the time I'll be shooting either the cheap federal 100 pack of birdshot or target load from walmart but I just wanted to know if this gun will eat practically everything or does Winchester present problems like it does with a few other pump shotguns?

I know my brothers Mossberg 590A1 takes anything you throw at it...

Haven't put any through my 'a1' yet, but I shoot a lot of the cheap Winchester bulk outta my 590 Cruiser with no issues. Mossberg pumps are well known for being able to chew through any and all ammo you feed them. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences, but I haven't found any ammo issues with mine.

I have shot everything from 2 3/4" 7 1/2 birdshot, all the way up to 3" 1 1/8oz' slugs. Not a single issue yet with the gun. Some slight bruising on the shoulder finding the proper placement, but that was user related, not equipment. :lol:

Yeah, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in to on the ammo and gonna vouch for pretty much anything! ;)

Back