• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Global Gun Ownership Stats...(hint we're #1)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Thought I'd post one that I think is a good thing. Gun ownership stats for the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

We're number 1 with 88.8 guns per 100 people. Nobody is even close. The list is 2007 so 7 years of BHO has cemented our lead.

Some other stats I found from the same year:
U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million (note, I think we are buying 10-11 milllion this year - Carbinemike) of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

This is the part I particularly chuckled at

carbinemike said:
The report estimated

meaning:

Guessed

They don't really know

I think assumptions based on these numbers will be skewed but it's interesting nonetheless.

MikeD said:
I think assumptions based on these numbers will be skewed but it's interesting nonetheless.

Kind of my thoughts.

It's like estimating how many squirrels are in the woods.

If these numbers are correct, I think I was a little ahead of the curve.

At least until the boating accident occured

Here's the full article where the stats came from if anyone's interested. Again, the article is 5 years old. I'm not sure how often they put these kinds of things together. I thought it was kind of interesting, take it for what it is.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/28/us-world-firearms-idUSL2834893820070828

What I was originally looking for was gun ownership rate per states. All I'd come up with was lib sites purporting that more heavily armed states have a higher murder rate.

carbinemike said:
What I was originally looking for was gun ownership rate per states. All I'd come up with was lib sites purporting that more heavily armed states have a higher murder rate.

There is a statistic for or against everything and why I don't put a lot of faith in any of them. But here's what I pay attention to.

I think just about everyone here has a gun. Murder rate is pretty low. 1 to maybe 3 a year in my county, but most of those are drug related, or fueds/disagreements that had been brewing for a while.

Ok, are you guys trying to tell me the Mossberg Owners forum hat poll is rigged? You know I thought their was a conspiracy afoot for khaki to be ahead over olive drab. LOL :lol: :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ When you control the facts, you can prove anything...

Facts are irrelevent.

Step 1. Create lie.
Step 2. Repeat lie until you start to believe it.
Step 3. Repeat "lie" to enough people til they start to believe it.
Step 4. Once enough people believe the "lie" it becomes truth.
Step 5. Go to Step 1.

There is an actual science to polling. One can manipulate the poll to garner any result they want. The number of choices in the poll, the wording of the poll, the target sample set. Once I realized that, the validity of polls in my mind goes way down.

Here is one of many videos I've found related to decision making and our illusion of having control of our decisions, it's a bit long but it's worth watching.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X68dm92HVI[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X68dm92HVI

All one has to do is look at the current election polls to know they can be manipulted however the pollster want.

I'd like to think while per capita numbers are not perfect they should more accurate, unless they were derived from a poll.

In the digital age, information can be whatever the presenter wants it to be and 98.5% of those polled believe me.

Back on the original topic, I wish our percentage of legally owned guns was even higher.

carbinemike said:
Back on the original topic, I wish our percentage of legally owned guns was even higher.

I'm trying to do my part

smiley.gif

Back