• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

God, that felt good.

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As many of you know, we've been having a bear problem in my county for decades now. And they have finally admitted that per mile or area or however he said it, we have as many bears as they do in and around the smokey mountains.

Truth is, we were having bear problems in my community long before the state even acknowledged their existence here. But that's a story for another day.

Tonight, our county government held a public meeting to discuss the "situation".

So, I load my little tail up and drive to the courthouse to participate.

Not whine and cry, but to voice my strong opinion. May not do any good, but was nice to tell the main wildlife biologist that there's a problem, whether the state wanted to admit there was or not.

And I wasn't alone.

Even when he mentioned that nuisance calls have not risen, the Sheriff told them that people have grown tired of calling the state to do anything about it because it does no good, so they solved their bear problem their self. And he's right.

I have overheard people talking in the grocery store and just about everywhere you go about how bad the problem is, and I hear "old so and so killed 3 bears last year tearing into his chicken coops" or whatever. That's an example, but after a while, it gets so commonplace it's accepted just normal.

A lot of people were mainly fussing about garbage dumpster bears. Which as all of you know, we have our fair share of that.

But for once in my life, I would like to hear them be honest and simply admit that BEARS are the problem.

Not garbage, not how people store their garbage, but just to come out and say the obvious. Wherever bears are, they become a problem.

As bad as that is, when it got my time to speak, I told them I was more concerned about the inherent danger that someone is going to be hurt or killed grows every day. I even let them know how many people have been killed in the smokey mountains, which they compared the bear population to early in the meeting. And specifically mentioned the little 6 year old girl that was killed and her mom and brother nearly killed trying to help the little girl. I had all kinds of google stuff printed out with bear attacks and people mauled in and around the smokeys because I just knew they were going to bring up tourism.

When you can't let your kids play out in the yard without being armed, there's a problem. And I made sure to point that out.

I even told them and a handful of the fish and wildlife officers in the meeting that I'd just as soon kill every single bear in the whole state than to see someone be hurt over it.

I'm sure they didn't really like that, but I said it. And meant every word of it.

I really expected a lot of people there, but there really weren't. I even drove my truck to town early and parked it and had my wife take me back to the courthouse after supper so I'd have a decent parking spot close by.

Unfortunately, there weren't even 2 dozen people take the time to show up. I guess some didn't know about it, but I was reading the judge executives facebook reply about it, and looks like a lot of people are blowing up his account over it after the fact.

The state wants a balance of as many bears as they can have, but without having to hear complaints and the public not bitching about it is basically what it boils down to.

Oh, and garbage garbage garbage.

The comments in the link below should speak volumes. Most people here are fed up with them.

Only a couple think they're cute cuddly little critters that shouldn't be harassed. Everyone else pretty much doesn't care how they die or where they go, as long as they go somewhere else.

https://www.facebook.com/dan.mosley.14/posts/1925035917578685

Yeah, many of the people there were advocating an open season on them like with coyotes and feral hogs and any other invasive species.

Apparently, I'm not the only one that has decreasing deer, turkey and other animal declines. That was one of the first complaints that I heard and it was from the Sheriff. I had to agree with him because I have seen the same thing happen on our land.

I even mentioned giving out nuisance tags for people having problems, which went over about as well as a fart in church.

Basically, what it boiled down to, was the state wants as many bears as the (bear and human) population will allow. And not a single one less.

They would be fine with more bears than humans, as long as humans didn't complain about it.

Oklahoma has designated bear hunts in the eastern area of the state, along the Arkansas border.

Yeah, the comments for some was really funny.

One girl said that since the trees had a bad year and aren't producing many nuts, she suggested to plant more trees in the forest.

That one made me laugh. Especially since our county is probably 96% uninhabited forest. AND includes the states largest animal preserve and protected wildlands.

Another reply suggested dropping food (trash) from helicopters into remote areas to draw the bears away from populated areas.

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up.

I just think if you are having a bear problem, don't call 911. Handle it like you would with any other wild animal and be done with it. Problem solved.

Nuisance animal, is a nuisance animal. Bear, coyote, feral hog, feral dog, raccoon, rat, etc. Deal with them accordingly.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Glad you got to voice hour opinion on the matter. I think one of our first discussions when I joined the forum was about the lousy mgmt system they have in place.

The reality, much to the dislike of the anti's, is that you have to have hunting as part of a good wildlife management plan.

Yeah, he touched on that a little during the meeting Mike.

Basically, there are several well funded animal rights groups who have their lawyers on speed dial. He didn't go into detail, but mentioned that is one of the factors that is looked at when assigning seasons and quotas and everything else.

I'll be entirely honest, their lawyers cannot sit awake at night trying to think of how many ones and zeroes that I can come up with if someone in my family gets hurt by a bear, despite all the letters I have written to elected officials and going to the meetings and everything else.

If something doesn't change, I even said as much in the meeting that someone is going to get mauled or killed. And if the state mis-manages things, you better believe I wouldn't sue them in a heartbeat for derilect, negligence, public endangerment, and whatever other big words a group of lawyers can spell probably better than I can.

And for the sake of writing it here, here is the specific law the guy quoted allowing one to kill a wild animal that is destroying your property and endangering your life.

After reading it, it's about as full of crap as everything else the state does.

-------------

150.170 Requirement of hunting, fishing, trapping, or guide's license -- Exceptions -- Killing of wildlife causing damage -- Reporting requirements -- Reciprocity with adjoining states -- Exception for active duty or reserve members on military property.
(1) Except as provided in the following subsections of this section, and subject to administrative regulations promulgated under this chapter, no person, resident, or nonresident shall do any act authorized by any kind of license or permit or assist in any way any person in doing any act provided for in this chapter with respect to wildlife unless he holds the kind of license or permit, resident or nonresident, that authorizes the act. It shall be the specific purpose of this chapter to prohibit the taking or pursuing of any wildlife, protected or unprotected, or the fishing in any stream or body of water whether public or private, without first procuring the license provided for in KRS 150.175, except to the extent as may be otherwise provided in this section.
(2) A person under sixteen (16) years of age may, without a sport fishing license, take fish by angling, or take minnows by the use of a minnow seine, minnow trap, or dip net.
(3) A person under twelve (12) years of age shall be exempt from being required to obtain a sport hunting or sport trapping license as required by this chapter.
(4) The resident owner of farmlands or his or her spouse or dependent children shall, without procuring any sport hunting or sport fishing licenses, have the right to take fish or hunt during the open season, except trapping, on the farmlands of which they are bona fide owners. Tenants or their dependent children residing upon these farmlands shall have the same privilege.
(5) Residents or nonresidents observing and participating in field trials, training exercises, or other competitions as authorized by the department may observe and participate without obtaining a hunting or guide's license so long as game is not taken.
(6) Any resident serviceman on furlough of more than three (3) days in this state may, without any Kentucky sport hunting or sport fishing licenses, do any act authorized by the licenses, but while so doing he shall carry on his person proper identification and papers showing his furlough status.
(7) Landowners, their spouses or dependent children, or their designee who must be approved by the commissioner, who kill or trap on their lands any wildlife causing damage to the lands or any personal property situated thereon shall not be required to have a hunting or trapping license and may do so during periods other than the open season for the particular species without a tag and dispose of the carcass on-site. Tenants, their spouses, their dependent children, or other persons approved by the commissioner, shall also have the same privilege. Upon destruction of any wildlife by the above-specified individuals, the act shall be reported to a conservation officer within twenty-four (24) hours of the kill. Individuals wishing to transport the carcass from the property upon which it was killed shall contact personnel of the department to request a disposal tag or other authorization. Inedible parts from wildlife taken under the authorization of this section shall not be utilized
for any purpose and shall be destroyed or left afield. The department shall promulgate administrative regulations establishing procedures for the designee appointment process, including request and approval deadlines.
(8) If a reciprocal agreement is entered into by the commissioner, with the approval of the commission, and promulgated as an administrative regulation by the department and similar action is taken by the appropriate authority in Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, or Illinois, persons holding a resident or nonresident fishing or a resident or nonresident hunting license issued in these states shall be permitted to perform the acts authorized by the license upon certain contiguous waters and land areas adjacent to the common boundaries of the above-mentioned states and the State of Kentucky. A resident of the State of Kentucky shall purchase a proper Kentucky license to conform with the reciprocal agreement.
(9) Any member of the Kentucky Army or Air National Guard, active duty or Reserve Component, in any branch in the United States Armed Forces that is based in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, shall have the right to take fish or hunt on any military property belonging to the Commonwealth without procuring any sport hunting or sport fishing license.
Effective: July 15, 2014

I often wonder what animal rights activists would have thought about dinosaurs roaming their neighborhoods. What gets me is that those same people that complain about people infringing on animals grounds are among the same people that want to open the borders and let as many folks in this country that can get here. In other words, they make no sense to people with common sense.

Then they have lawyers write things that no one, not even the ones that write the law can understand. This a common practice throughout government. I dealt with such nonsense for 40 years in aviation.

I often wonder what animal rights activists would have thought about dinosaurs roaming their neighborhoods. What gets me is that those same people that complain about people infringing on animals grounds are among the same people that want to open the borders and let as many folks in this country that can get here. In other words, they make no sense to people with common sense.

Then they have lawyers write things that no one, not even the ones that write the law can understand. This a common practice throughout government. I dealt with such nonsense for 40 years in aviation.

That's what happens when you enact laws and policies driven by emotion over logic.

Most lawyears don't give crap, the law is just a game of symantics and loopholes to them and if they win they make more money.

I think most people, once you leave the rural setting have become too far removed from the realities of nature, where our food comes from etc. They really have no clue as to the "realities" of these things. Watching you tube videos is no substitute to the brutalty of nature or how meat really makes it to the local market. They live in a sterile, myopic little bubble.

I agree wholeheartedly guys. And I can tell from the substance of your post that you've given it a lot of thought.

The judicial system in our country has been abused. And most politicians intentionally write vague laws so that it can be "open for interpretation", in other words, abused by lawyers, activist judges, et. al.

If a wide scale catastrophic event happened that affected the entire world, the human race is going to have a hard time surviving. When all of the food stops rolling across the cash register at the grocery store, a lot of people are going the way of the dinosaurs.

The truth is that it is nearly impossible to write a law that is not, in some way, unfavorable to someone.
It is so easy to write a bad one, thus 90%+ of them are bad.
The logic following that is that we should write as few as possible.
God was satisfied with just ten.
Man, however, is impossible to satisfy.

And now those same people don't want those ten laws of God to be visible anywhere. Again, they are good common sense, hardly what the left believes, and they don't want anyone else believing them either. I think the results speak for themselves.

I heard a wolf howling year before last while I was sitting in my tree stand.

Definitely not a coyote, not a dog. I have zero doubt in my mind what it was. Sounded awesome.

Don't need more wolves, or mountain lions though.

Just less bears.

No bears would be fantastic, but I know that is never going to happen.

Back