• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good budget red dot

12gafun

.270 WIN
I am looking for the rail and a good budget red dot. Also a red dot that isn't huge either, but won't break the bank either. Thanks for any information given. I have the Mossberg 500 SP, and the receiver is tapped. 20150816_172752.jpg20150816_172802.jpg 20150816_172842.jpg

IMHO the best bang for the buck is the Primary Arms Micro Dot, The Bushnell TRS-25 is a close second.

I have both.

I would think the micro dot would be a little smaller.

Is it?

I would think the micro dot would be a little smaller.

Is it?

Slightly smaller than the Bushnell but not a lot. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the two for comparison if you want to see them side by side

Might help 12gafun if you could.

I like that Primary Arms micro dot, that will hold up to a 12 gauges recoil. Nice price on it also.. Thanks

EDIT: I know I'm not making it up but I can only find the First Strike micro and it's $100+ now... I'm doing some digging, maybe I have a manufacturer wrong for the "Fast Strike"

Lot of people using the Bushnell TRS-25.
I personally don't like the tube style of the TRS 25/32 red dots or the T Dot but they have the "First Strike" micro dots that are sweeeet! I found it on Wal-Marts site for $80 with a riser mount and great reviews. They have the First Strike and the Fast Strike. The Fast Strike is the next level up and $150 I believe... I'm ordering the First Strike shortly, once I cough up some dough for a fixed rear sight :p

Last edited:
Thanks will check that one out also
I'm still really confused but the only Bushnell Micro can find is a First Strike and it's $100-$150 then there is the Burris Fastfire but it's like $225. I know i had seen 2 Bushnell ones but I don't know now haha

Slightly smaller than the Bushnell but not a lot. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the two for comparison if you want to see them side by side

I'd like to see the comparison of the two. Looking for one to swap off and on for my 1x4 Bushnell AR223 optic.

I have the Primary Arms Micro red dot on my AK and it so far has been a champ.
That's awesome.
Now they got a $170 one and a $80 one. Which one is the one u have.
The $80 one looks pretty good but the more expensive one has a few more features, dimable, long a$$ batterie life and waterproof.
But both seem good from the description.

This one, https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm is one of the PA red dots that I have. Very nice. I guess I got lucky when I bought mine a couple of months ago. It was only $130 at the time. It is pretty close to the $80 one. Difference being the button controls instead of the knob, and battery life is supposed to be 50k hours. You could, in theory, leave it on constantly and the battery should last 3-5 years depending on brightness setting. Also, the glass is clearer than the MD-FBGII, less green tint.

I have seen a few guys on other forums say it compares to the Aim Point T1 in quality and function. This, I don't know, since I've never owned an Aim Point.

I got the 80 dollar one with fixed base mounted on my N-PAP Ak47, I now know it will hold to to the heat off the gas tube being mounted to it on that UTG Pro for Yugo HG. I did some bench shooting to sight it back in, then a guy at the range wanted to shoot it so we traded arms and he mag dumped it, I took it and dig some quick fire drills with it shooting 2-3 round bursts with few second pauses. Then did a few moments later another 20 round mag dump. Red dot stayed on target and was really hot to the touch.

20150917_101916.jpg

Last edited:
I wrote Primary Arms about the heat and the guy that responded stated that is where he runs his red dot and shoots it at times where his AK gets really hot and has never had any issues. He also stated if I do have any issues that Primary Arms will take care of me if the red dot would malfunction due to the heat.

So does anyone now a good rail for the Mossy 500 that I have, the receiver is drilled and tapped, thinking about running that red dot off my shotgun instead of my AK, or getting another for my shotgun.

Back