• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good deal

jim417

Copper BB
I have an opportunity to trade my mosin and some surplus ammo for a Mossberg 500 with an 18 and 28 inch barrel. I have around $300 in the mosin and ammo. My eyes just aren't good enough any more for the distance of the mosin with open sights. The mossberg looks to be in good condition. The serial number begins with a G. Is this a comperable trade? Thanks.

The 500 field/security combos can be had for around $350 brand new.

If it's a straight up trade for something you need, then it seems like a good deal to me vs. hanging on to something you won't get much use out of...

Hi.

The "bunch of ammo" has me a bit hesitant to say a straight trade is a good way to go.

Can you not just go buy a Maverick 88 for under $200 and start gathering some shotshells?

I think the Mosin and "a bunch of ammo" might be worth holding on to, even if you have no plans to shoot it very much.

IIRC a "G" serial numbered 500 would be from the 1970's, make sure you check it out thoroughly, I'm not sure if it would have a plastic trigger guard, I had one from the mid 80's and the plastic is getting brittle, so you may be looking for a new trigger set soon, check the magazine tube and barrel for rust.
After I got a new trigger for my 500 With 28" barrel, I couldn't give it away! It was for sale for $175 and I finally tread it for a completed AR lower before things went south.
Mosins have been going up in price as well lately.
Ammo for both are abundant, so that may be a wash.
Best of luck!

My Mosin sits in the safe.
I have a LOT of shotguns and they all come out to play at one time or another.
Guess I am just a shotgun guy!
Depending on the amount of ammo involved I would say its a decent deal if you get enough use out of the 500.

I never get back the money that I put into a gun when I sell / trade it.

Back