• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

I have a certain sympathy with that but it’s not clean enough for clearcoat and it never will be.

This morning it is more of the same. But it’s only 72° right now so I’m gonna strike while the iron is not too hot.

Good morning to all of yous. 105 yesterday, about the same today. Friday and Saturday ditto. Cool front should move through Saturday night keeping the high Sunday to mid 90s. We could use a spot of rain for sure.

You all have a great day and stay cool.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

Today I took out the garbage, fed the fish, and put a new tarp on my boat. It’s gonna be a lovely day here but I may not get any more ambitious than that.

Good morning to all, 105 again yesterday, 104 today. At 9am we were at 87, well on our way . We are heading to the lake later today. It's usually about 5 degrees cooler there.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great weekend.

The beautiful weather continues and mornings are lovely until lunchtime when it starts to get pretty hot. Still I have a breezeway arranged and affords me lots of comfort from the heat. If the breeze fails I have fans as well.

I have been scrubbing on this chassis every day, and last night I was underneath it on the ground. The windward side of those lower trailing arms had a lot more rust and paint than the leeward side. .

I want to flip it over but I don’t want to do that until I am ready to weld on the bottom.

I need to find me some 3” channels or light 3” tube. There is a steel place in Clovis that I was never heard of before. I have to go check it out next week.

It’s my sister’s birthday so later we’re gonna go out and eat somewhere semi-fancy.

Relatively speaking…

You don’t have to stand in line and they have waiters.

I am still limping around a little bit and I have to be careful not to walk too much for my knee will get swollen.

Still it is much better than it was last week and I am getting around enough that it didn’t bother me to go to the grocery store. I also got in about four hours working on the car.

Everything on the top side is looking pretty spiffy & there’s still a lot of cleaning to do under the car. But it seems like I have conquered 99% of the rust.

Today is expected to be about 105°F and the work will continue.

Good morning to all of yous. We have had a nice break from the heat. The past 3 or 4 days have started with rain showers in the morning, then mostly sunny afternoons and high 80s to low 90s for high temps.
Starting today we are going to have drier conditions and mid to high 90s. It sure beats winter, lol.

Have yourselves a great day.

I removed the front lower rail from the patio aquarium stand, so I could drop the sump right to the concrete. This removed 300 lbs from the stand, and dropping the pump sump 4” increased drainage. A lot!
A6B3E2C6-8193-45AE-92A2-0881197A31A1.jpeg

There you can see the whole outdoor setup: the 55g Petco $1/gal special, the 30g rescue tank which is the pump sump, the Petco Brooklyn steel aquarium stand, the Brute insulated filtration sump, and the brown rain barrel from Home Depot.

I send all my drain water there, and wash filter socks there as well, in the 75g brown rain barrel. Then I pump the old water out onto my trees through this plastic irrigation tubing zip-tied to my fence.
F030CE12-E6C6-403A-A5DE-A265EBB354FB.jpeg

I made two braces from 1x1x3/16” hot rolled steel (cut from a discarded bed frame) and bolted them to the stand with 1/4” bolts to reinforce it. I also made new styrofoam lids for the pump sump.
A54EF26C-C64A-4278-9EC2-642CFE23C319.jpeg

The Petco frame is not really designed for outdoor use it is getting rusty at all the joints. After I took this photograph I removed those braces to paint them, and I rubbed down the entire frame with a rust preventative oil.

I added a third sump pump to help feed the 55g, but I should just buy a stronger pump for it. Every available electric outlet is occupied now, by 4 pumps an air pump, and two heaters.

The air pump runs a stone in the brown barrel to prevent mosquitoes breeding there. It also contains some fat guppies who eat the mosquitoes, eggs and larvae.

Little Butterfish is over 6” now. He lives outdoors, but was born in this same 55 when it was on my hearth.
DF6F5257-6FBD-4D29-A312-CC2B41D32555.jpeg

He is hybrid from a Red Zebra and an Electric Blue Johanni, and over 5 years old now.

Good morning. Well, we have been cooler but not drier. We spent the weekend at the lake . Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights we had about 8 inches of rain total. 70 miles southwest at home we had about an inch and a half. Needless to say the lake area handles that much rain much better than the city would have.

We were in an area that 3 nights in a row T storms formed in central Kansas and moved southeast into northeast Oklahoma. The days actually turned out nice, albeit a little humid.

You all have a great day.

Well we were back up to 112 during the day but it went down to 88 last night.

I thought this video was interesting because I have never heard the one about the sweaty glove.

Good morning MOers. I had my first cup of coffee at 7am out on the back porch. 64 degrees, no wind, and clear skies. Perfect start to the day.

Friday back into the high 90s, then 6 consecutive days of triple digits per the forecast.

Y'all have a great day.

Good morning to all of yous. Clear skies again, 67 degrees with a south wind about 5 mph. Another beauty of a morning. The forecast calls for a high of 95 later today. The next 8 or 9 days are going to be warm, lol.

Have a great day.

Hey guys.

OMG It is still before noon! so good morning. I am back on the car this morning. Last night I started building this big stand so I can roll the chassis over.
36F3A1F1-1BC2-41BB-ACDB-BAECB25D95C5.jpeg

I’m going to build the pivot out of parts of an old trailer hitch and the variator clutch pivot weldment from my dad’s old tractor.
949A3554-9075-4F31-BBA5-9052923B862C.jpeg
More photographs when I make something you can identify

First the transmission had to come out and fortunately I was able to manage this with muscle power alone..
1A399B4B-B98A-4C2F-B0BB-7A052AEE086C.jpeg

The pivot assembly was 100% African engineering. I’ll never use this again. After I’m done with it I will just disassemble all the parts and throw them back in my pile.
C0F2D4C2-CD56-45B1-A85C-657C62E4A1B0.jpeg

So here is the trunion all finished. I was able to roll this over with ease by hanging the front from a chain.
14E64BD2-FEB7-49E9-AF5F-8E72C0A318C0.jpeg
And here she is upside down folks!

4C09FA88-F48F-4D01-9AB9-D765B709E53C.jpeg

I clamped some temporary legs onto the chassis to keep it stable while I work.
This is going to make things a lot easier.

Life in the desert is like this. I was reduced to working in gym shorts and sandals and by 3 PM it was 112°F. I lost 4 pounds out there from sweating even though I managed to drink four bottles of water since 10 AM.
57618707-5B0C-4C28-A3D0-CFD8E1943496.jpeg

Well, we are on the normal August hot streak and I expect it will be 100° plus again today.

When I flipped over the VW chassis the makers stickers were still on them. This car had new floopans back in 1981. Stamped in Brazil. All the old worn German tooling went there and to Mexico in the early 70’s.
6D6D03B8-E30F-4AD3-9300-BD481E98A55F.jpeg
Originally I thought this was a Brazillian made car, But all the numbers on it resolved to Germany.

I got a good view into the brake inspection ports, and this car has all new brake shoes on it. Also I can tell by the marks on the bolts heads that hydraulic cylinders were replaced as well. The 4 rubber hoses have been replaced (in 1981 ?) but the master cyl was from 1973 and dripped. When I got the car there was brake fluid on the front floor pan.

I have a new one in the garage, made in Brazil.

I wired up this steel sawhorse so my car wouldn’t have to hang from the hydraulic hoist. Those were from steel document racks, kinda like a magazine rack.
6B7C7EFE-1D04-41E5-B261-7FDB06F4B328.jpeg

I also bolted legs on the back to keep it steady, but did not remove the trunion. I did relieve the load on it about half. I will be leaning all over this thing while I’m welding it up.

Laying out some various tubing to see if it’s long enough:

7915DA00-489D-425F-80E9-7FED6C956D21.jpeg
Judy bought me the rolling jack 20 years ago and I have used the heck out of it. I need to park this transaxle somewhere else though….

Everything is stabilized here and so I wish you all a stable day.

We went to a wedding today. One of my old buddies got married, and at the wedding I got to meet his grandfather.

Only once in a while you get to meet someone who is a real western legend.
61835D46-7AAA-437A-BD94-39EBD2191AF2.jpeg
Ed Bates is 98 years old. He was the sheriff of Madera county for many years. His experiences have been told in many books, chasing down murderers and keeping the peace in a huge rural county, with just a couple of deputies.

This is the man that stood down Sonny Barger and the hells angels when they came to take over Bass Lake California.

Through a couple of crafty maneuvers, he got them out of the town and into some secluded campground away from all the boaters and picnickers, where they could get drunk and piss on each other for fun. And they shuffled them all off next morning, bikers hungover as hell and unable to put up any fight.

I have permission to republish some of his stories and I think I might do that here.

I was hoping that hurricane Hillary would go up the coast and wash the smell off of San Francisco, but instead she has headed inland towards the mountains, and is dropping a lot of rain right now on the eastern San Joaquin Valley, where I live.

The rain started with a cloudburst, while we were at a wedding yesterday afternoon and then popped up during the night for a while.

Now at 5 AM it is pouring rain.

I went over all the shiny steel on my car chassis with a rust conversion oil last evening, before anything got wet.

When I went after this thing to burnish off all the dirt and crappy paint, I purposely did not remove the old oil film with a degreaser. This means that my wire brushes spread any oil all around, and so nothing really was rusting.

I knew better than to degrease all the metal before I was all finished cleaning and ready to start painting.

Which is destined to start happening, or was, within a few days. I don’t know how long this weather pattern will last but we were only expecting three days of rain.

Normally what I expect in mid to late August is day after day of 100° sunshine without a drop of rain to be even imagined in the desert heat. Perfect weather to paint a car.

But I think it’s going to be about 10 days before everything dries up enough for that possibility.

If it wasn’t for the work I’m trying to do, I would totally enjoy this change in the weather, and so I’m forcing myself to like it. LOL

But I think it’s going to be about 10 days before everything dries up enough for that possibility.

Stay dry, brother! :eek: Do you have any landslide risk where you're at? Wonder what the level will be at your fishing lake after the storm passes. Is that lake dammed?

Back