• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

Change of plans! I went and picked it up at the trucking center! It's in my cellar as we speak. man that thing is heavy. I got it off my truck with some elbow grease and my work cart. pheww....I'm putting it together tomorrow! wooo hooo.

and thanx fer tha offer sniper! I know you'd do that....good man....
and now...

I can continue!!!!

NICE!

You know we're expecting the obligatory pics of the new set-up once you get it put together... :D

But of course...starting the set up in a few..i need to post some pics of the hand guns i had found i liked...

I found about 30 pounds of stuff to donate to the cause.

I've got the following:

pear
olive
walnut
pecan or hickory
lignum vitae
argentine lignum vitae
orange osage
spalted maple
brazillian cherry
birds-eye maple

now for the uncertain items. for the the life of me I can't remember what these are.
something that looks like rosewood.
something that I think is mahogany.
the last one, I have no idea. i just know its really heavy and looks really nice. i'll try to put up some pics in a bit.

this is the pecan with a couple of coats of linseed oil

4cff40f9-f12b-b402.jpg

this is the mystery wood with some alcohol to show the grain

4cff40f9-f167-69eb.jpg

next is the pear

4cff40f9-f192-f87e.jpg

this is the spalted maple

4cff40f9-f267-1723.jpg

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

did you get my pm?

man..those are some beautiful specimens!!!

got the pm. the reply turned into those posts.
I forgot to go get the flat rate boxes today though.
glad I read that pm again. I forgot the jarrah.

Im gonna get my money's worth out of that "if it fits it ships" deal.

Lol!..well if you need a bigger box to ship it I'll gladly chip in to get more! Just let me know...

The blade they sent with it lasted for 1-1/2 cuts. Lol
it went through a block of rock maple and halfway through the block of Burmese Blackwood then the teeth fell out like dentures.....well. i had a great time setting it up though. No directions came with it. So I used the pdf on their site....from my phone....sheesh.

Anyhow...I'll be stopping to get a bimetal blade after work friday. Then I'll be rockin!! Welll on second thought...

I also need to modify the vise to fit closer to the center of the drillpress bit. Then I'll be rockin!!!

Oh Holy Smokes that thing is awesome lookin, truly a sight to behold!

Nice set up!!!

I didn't mount the base to it only cuz of lack of room in the room...but I'm saving it for later when I clean it out. Need to make a scrap metal run soon. After that's done I'll have plenty of room to set up the base and put my sander in the spot it's on now..little by little.

you gotta check out this site.
http://www.gobywalnut.com

they have stock blanks, but even better are the tonewood billets. one could easily make a stock out of any of those and the figure is so much better for the prices. I've seen billets for $25 to $50 with absolutely beautiful figure that would make an awful lot of pistol grips.

Wow...they sure do have lots of nice wood. Thanks for linkin it here.

So I installed a new blade on it. Holy crap! What a great machine it is now!
I'm workin on the vise right now. Next up...finally get back the fun part!!!

I modified the vise to fit closer to the press. then set it up and did some practice on the burmese blackwood. i had to go very slow or the spindle would start to chatter. also i can see i'll need to find a thinner diameter bit to keep the distance correct as well as the angle on the backside of the vertec grip. but it's coming along great. i have a pic on my phone of the set up, but its not letting me send it out...
all in all i'm happy with the set up!
i expect to be making a vertec grip this weekend!!

new wood!!

soVasl.jpg

^^^silver and black dymondwood (plywood)
One of the most durable, stable and moisture resistant handle materials available. Dymondwood is composed of multiple thin layers of wood , dyed and impregnated with resins under high pressure. Colors are deep and vibrant. For full tang knives, these slabs are provided in 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 10" pieces. The ebony Dymondwood is made from actual thin veneers of real ebony and is very black!

N7XVIl.jpg

^^^wenge
The heartwood is dark brown, almost black. On the quartersawn surface, fine pencil-thin, light tan lines interspersed with blackish brown stripes make the surface appear as if it has been stroked by the fine claws of some wild jungle animal. On the tangential surface, the light lines show up as undulating streaks, like waves on the water. Orientation of the grain is an important consideration to show the wood at its best. Wenge is straight grained, and very coarse textured, similar to the slivers from bamboo flooring.

6eWnal.jpg

^^^rubber
NEW! The hot and popular new handle material: Rubber! Recently shown at the 2007 Knifemakers Guild Show high impact cutting demonstration by several of the top contestants. ( They called their handles horse stall mat because that's what they were cut from. This is the same material without the parallel grooves cut into horse stall mat for water run off). If you're going to use your knife hard, day in and day out, this is the knife handle material to choose. Slip resistant in the cold and wet, and provides a comfortable feeling cushion that will prevent your hand from getting fatigued. Can be worked with your normal tools and if you use your belt sander, it has the added benefit of cleaning your belt. Supplied as a pair of 5" x 1 1/2" x 3/8" thick

CZH4ol.jpg

Vh1Azl.jpg

^^^Texas Mesquite (front and backside pics)
Mesquite Lumber is difficult to cut and dry and downgrading in the process is common, but it does produce a hard and strong wood with high bending and crushing strengths when successful. It has a relatively strong grain pattern with some interesting swirls when you get around the limb buds. It can exhibit some of the traditional figures such as quilted and fiddleback if you are lucky.
Mesquite lumber can vary significantly in color depending on the source ranging from pale straw to medium chocolate or redish brown and some with almost a deep purple tinge. Be specific in your requests if you are trying to match a new wood purchase with say exiting mesquite wood flooring.
Thinking about the lumber typically sourced in Texas, mesquite wood is never found in particularly long lengths. Higher grades are rare and expensive. Mesquite Veneers are equally expensive when you can find them.

Back