• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gouges on receiver

Josh Weisman

Copper BB
image1.JPG image2.JPG Hey guys was hoping you could help me. I just bought my first shotgun a Mossberg 590A1 Mariner. I have only put about 150 rounds through it so far. Last time I went to the range I was having to use more force than normal to cycle the gun. I shot about 6 rounds during this difficult stage and then decided to take the gun home field strip it and take a look at it. I found some light metal gouges in the receiver. Can you guys take a look and give me your take on it please? Is this normal? Or did I not put the gun back together properly perhaps after the last cleaning. Any input would greatly help out a new shotgun owner.

" I was having to use more force than normal to cycle the gun."
This happens in MANY pump guns! The usual culprit is crappy shells.
The steel on the shell expands and causes you to exert extra force to try and extract the expanded shell.
You have 2 choices.
1) Find a higher quality shell (Higher Priced) that does not expand and shoot away for ever and ever.
OR, The choice that I made a long time ago.
2) Polish the chamber of your gun.

I decided that ALL my shotguns would shoot any and everything that I feed them.
This is achieved by polishing the chamber of your gun.

As for the gouging that you posted. It is a machine that houses an EXPLOSION then ejects the left over bits.
It aint no big deal....really
Shoot the gun and have fun.....Oh and get the chamber polished!

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new 590A1.

I have some similar metal "scratches" on my 500. Never had any binding. I would give it another good cleaning and a light oiling.

When you put the bolt back in, slide it back and forth by hand and see if you feel any scraping.

Same thing on my old Mariner. Just take a little fine sandpaper and knock off any burrs that may have been created by the gouging.

Hey guys thanks for all the answers. Normally scuffs don't bother me but being that this was my first shotgun I thought I would ask. I usally only buy name brand ammo but come to think of it that box of shells I used in the day in question were some target loads given to me when I bought the gun so they very well could have been sub quality ammo. Ill take some polish to it this weekend see what we can do with it and then take it back to the range and put some federal loads through it and see what happens. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Back