• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Greetings from Montana

mountainman

Copper BB
Just now saw and heard about this website and quickly joined. I'm retired, former Army Veteran, living in a small (2,000) mountain town in Montana.

Recently purchased a M500 Tactical Cruiser that I affectionately call "The Beast." This is my first ever shotgun with a pistol grip and it is proving to be a challenge for this ol' boy.

Also looking for a concealed carry weapon and am leaning toward the Ruger .38 LCR. Any comments on this choice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome from MI and thank you for your service.

I have no first hand experience with the LCR but I have never had a problem with a Ruger product nor have I heard anything bad about the LCR.

Welcome from StL MO.

There are so many super small 9s on the market I've gone for the extra bang with a Taurus 709 and a Kahr CW9. I'm a Ruger fan but NOT of the trigger on the LCR 380 or 9. Are you looking to pocket carry? Take another Fondle Fest and include some 9s - Kahr, Shield, beretta, Kimber (if your bank account dares!), more...

Welcome MM, from another new guy.
I am too new to this to make a recommendation for your concealed weapon.
But I wanted to welcome you, and THANK YOU for your service.

Bill

Welcome aboard Sir!

It's already been said, but thank you for your service. We are deeply indebted to you and all who have served or continue to serve in defense of our freedoms. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your new 500 Cruiser. Be sure to post pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here.

As far as the .38sp LCR, I've heard great things about its reliability and most folks have nothing but good things to say about Ruger. The only negative I've heard from folks that have fired the LCR is that the extreme light weight of the frame makes even the .38sp a little snappy. Like it's .380acp cousin the LCP, it's not really fun to shoot but for its intended purpose as a lightweight defensive pocket revolver the LCR is hard to beat. Keep us posted on what you decide. We'd love to read your review if you end up getting one. Take a look through our "Other Weapon" section when you get a chance. We've got a Handgun sub-forum and a few threads dedicated to CC weapons, even a Ruger thread. I do believe there are a few here who own an LCR and you may get better first-hand feedback from them. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

Greetings and welcome from a fellow Army veteran. Glad you joined the group.

I have a .38 Special Ruger LCR. I wear it at work with me for 12-hours every single shift. Previous to buying the LCR I had carried a flat single stack compact 9mm or a different 5-shot snubbie. Both are very good, but the revolver design allows me to shoot directly on contact with "something" which could conceiveably push a semi-auto out of battery momentarily until I figured out what was happening.

There is nothing on the LCR revolver to rust. It has a very smooth double-action-only trigger pull. The revolver shoots to the sights at 15-yards with any bullet weighing 135-grains or over. I also have a Smith&Wesson 442 DAO snubbie. It shoots great, almost as well as a 4" larger revolver.

I can actually get a higher "purchase" on the grip with the 442 which makes recoil slightly more rearward than the Ruger LCR which has a tiny bit more rise during recoil. The 442 seems a bit delicate to my way of thinking. The .38 Special LCR can (and has) handled real thumpers on the range and I think it is by far a stronger gun. Rugers interchaneable grips put rubber between you and the frame, which soaks up recoil really well. Lots of other small snubbies (most IIRC) put steel or aluminum against your hand unless you buy oversized Pachmayers which defeat the concealability benefit.

When I bought the LCR my gunshop owner threw in the ultra slim concealment grip which changes out in mere seconds. For a pocket gun it imperceptible in the way it "prints" in loose fitting trousers. The standard rubber grips are pebbled, a tiny bit "fatter" and have a finger groove that conforms to between your middle and ring finger and is quite comfortable.

Every LCR I have looked at has very deep cut rifling in the barrel which if you shoot cast or swaged lead bullets for any reason the barrel quality nod goes to Ruger. Everything, for that matter, that is cut or machined or polished is very precisely done. There are zero rough spots or burrs or finishing concerns. I shoot cast double-ended wadcutters (DEWCs) and lead semi-wadcutters (LSWCs) a good bit and this LCR loves them and my LCR is capable of shooting a "one hole" 2-inch group at five yards.

The Ruger allows you to swap the front sight blade for something of higher visibility. An XS Big Dot would be amazing on this little gun for low light shooting!

If you have questions on this fine little revolver please don't hesitate to ask. I feel like it is a lot of money very well spent, and I am of the belief that if it's not professional enough for my needs I will sell it off and look elsewhere. Not this time, though.

I guess what it comes down to is that if I got a full refund of what it cost and I stood there in the gun store holding that much cash with an array of different brands of 5-shot snubbies laid before me.... eliminating any buyers remorse or feeling I had to justify a poor buying decision~~~

I would buy the Ruger LCR again.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and excellent advice for a concealed carry. You've given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate the help and recommendations. This sounds like a pretty friendly forum and I'm looking forward to learning more about all the various topics being discussed here.
Thanks a lot,

mm

Howdy mountainman and welcome to the club.
Thank you for keeping our freedoms intact.

What is this challenge you speak of? Maybe some of us could offer some insight as to how to tame "The Beast".. ;)

Back