• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun fit or Learning curve?

I was having trouble staying on target with my 590, and maybe someone can enlighten me as to why.

Day #1 (first time behind a GRS) - Approx 70 rounds of various loads- Everything shot Low Right @ 10yrs+ What I learned? The stock butt pad is pretty darn stiff, I get sore :cry: and my sights can be adjusted.

Action. Install Limbsaver (that thing is like a lazyboy) and get more ammo. Did not touch GRS, but I read up on how to dial 'em in. Also, I did brake down my 590 for cleaning and the barrel went on easier than before.

Day #2 - Approx 75 rounds of mostly the same loads- Bang- On target. Bang (@ 25yrds) and hit the target with all 9 pellets. Hmmm. Bang, Bang. My observations- Less felt recoil, the extra bit of LOP actually felt really good, and I could now hit the target properly (no sight adj made).

Questions- Would my 590 barrel have settled in after Day #1? Does too short of LOP effect accuracy (the ghost ring did look smaller after the limbsaver install)? Could it be the softer butt pad helping me not flinch or jerk my shot?

I swear I was aiming in the same spot as before, and shouldering my weapon the same way. Maybe I'm just getting better :cool: :roll: What is your guys' take on the situation?

Pre-Thanks for your wisdom people!

Small changes you made to account for the LOP could. As your eye gets furthur from the GRS the smaller the aperture becomes smaller making the front sight fill more of the space forcing you to be more stable.

If you were hurting then you could have been flinching as well. Shoot with a friend and have them load the gun for you throwing in a dummy round to see if you flinch when you hit the dead round.

I'm not familiar with a shotgun settling in. I've heard of issues where the barrel might shift relative to a receiver mounted scope but that is about it.

I'm with Mike on the comfort issue. Just feeling less like "it's gonna hurt" could mean less flinching, and you're able to concentrate more on keeping on target.

Try the push/pull technique while taking the shot, but, man, if you are on target, keep doing what you are doing. The push/pull technique made my overall grouping more consistent and tighter with a Hogue 12" LOP and matching limbsaver. I shoot 2 3/4" slugs for target at 25 and 50 meters....

7115792653_3fc5e285f9.jpg

Sounds good. Push + Pull = Good

Proofs in the puddin! (Now with working photo URL)

Looks like the guys have got you covered.

Push/Pull does work wonders for your shoulder. The GRS can be a bit of a learning curve at first, but I bet you'll adapt to them pretty quickly. Keep us posted as you get out with it more...

Back