• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun Transportation - Washington State (Seattle area)

I bought my first shotgun and wanting to take a safety course. I live in the Seattle, Wa area.
I haven't bought a case yet, but that's what I'm asking about. I've read a lot on the internet in regards to transporting pistols, but found nothing on firearms in particular. I would like a soft case (Uncle Mikes Tactical Rifle Case) but not sure if it would meet the state and federal guidelines.
I drive a Jeep Liberty, so no trunk to lock the "cased" firearm in. If it's in the back of the Jeep in the cargo haul, would that be legal since it's out of the drivers reach? Can the case, whether its a soft or hard be in the cargo haul if its locked by a padlock and the firearm is unloaded and locked as well? Also if I buy a separate range bag, something of a soft case style to store ammo can I also store a pistol in case that case as well or does the ammo must be in separate case all to itself? I was thinking about call the local police t ask these questions, but that seems weird for whatever reason. Sorry for so many questions, just a new guy who knows nothing. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i'm in PA where the laws are completely different, but i would call the local PD, or give them a personal visit asking the proper/legal way to transport your firearms.

I would also check with the local pds of the town you are going to arriving at as well. Ask them to explain the laws pertaining to transpoting then ask to get the page on their website that has it in writting and print it out to keep with you.

Go to http://www.pnwguns.com/forum and ask there. Please do not ask the local police as you will get many different answers to the same question. I did this where I live and it was a BIG mistake. I just googled this and did not check the site out but they are like minded people that should be able to give the correct info even links to the laws themselves. This is just my opinion I am sure that others will be along to help you. Good luck

As far as I know, it just cant be loaded. It states it in the RCW, I would pull that up and verify for yourself. RCW 9.41. Does not need to be locked, I dont have a case either, yet. Traveled with mine last weekend. Towel around it to avoid damage.. unloaded of course. But the ammo was in the bag right by it. Which is perfectly legal from my understanding of the laws.

edit: actually thats not part of 9.41, but this should help answer your questions.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

edit again, lol... just saw the date. Please excuse my gravedigging.

Back