• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Caliber Reloading

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
As I'm planning out my reloading setup I wanted to start collecting brass. I usually shoot Remi UMC (in the bulk packs of 250) when I'm at the range/family farm. I've tried to research on how this holds up for reloading and of course I'm getting answers totally contradictory to each other. I've seen everything from "You can get 10-15 reloads out of UMC brass if you load it light." to "This is the worst brass ever. It collapses under pressure a good deal of the time." Any of you guys have any experience with it? Or can suggest a better 'cheap' ammo. My G19 doesn't really like WWB for some reason, so that option is kind of out unless I want to get frustrated while shooting just to collect brass.

EDIT: We don't have a 'general' handgun reloading thread so I renamed this one so people can post their questions.

Re: 9mm Brass

Never really paid attention. We just load them all mixed and if one is out of spec then it gets tossed. Between my bro and I we mix all our brass together, sit down load it and split it up. That includes all the brass we pick up in the woods, range or people give us. Might not be technically right but it works for us and we get to shoot more than anyone we know because of it ,lol. Just shot a couple hundred from my Sigma I got back from S&W…..first time we loaded tmj’s…weird but shot good.

Nitesite knowes much more than I do, I'm more simple in my ways lol

What FMJ's do you normally load for plinking? Just trying to get some opinions as I trust your guys experience more than the mall ninja's on other forums. :lol:

Loaded a bunch of Berrys Bullets. They are plated so not good for a Glock, poly blah blah rifling....IDK all I know is cast bullets and plated bullets not good for Glocks chosen rifling....jacketed is what you are wanting for the Glock. What do you want to do...plink, practice or send them all though the same hole?

Plink and practice combat shooting (read: not bullseye shooting). I do plan on picking up a conventional rifled barrel for shooting reloads of the lead variety, so that's not really an issue.

I've loaded a metric buttload of R-P and UMC brass in just about every pistol cartridge I shoot (9mm, .38/.357, .40/10mm, .44 Spl/.44Mag, .45 Auto) and it's been just fine. I've shot 9mm and .45 Auto R-P brass that had the headstamp lettering start to wear away and it's still going well.

I know a lot of very experienced reloaders on some of the other gun boards and I cannot think of any of them bashing R-P or UMC pistol brass for any reason other than a very very few described a production run of pistol brass with thinner case walls than Winchester. But I'm not seeing a problem. Never have.

I would not hesitate to buy it, shoot it or save it. :)

Your G19 doesn't like WWB ammo? Is it because of the accuracy or because cases are bulged afterwards, or failures to feed/eject, or what?

If you would like suggestions on bullets for reloading, I'll help you with that. There are lots of good ones to pick from, just finding the place with the right pricing is the biggest hurdle.

Perfect, than the plated bullets are good to go, hard cast bullets and the cheapest FMJ’s usually Remington will work awesome for your needs. I have only used 115gr so far but someone at work gave us about 500 hard cast 124gr we are going to try.

nitesite said:
Your G19 doesn't like WWB ammo? Is it because of the accuracy or because cases are bulged afterwards, or failures to feed/eject, or what?
With WWB I end up getting 1 or 2 stove pipes per 200-300 rounds. It's only with WWB too ... IDK. Maybe it's just my extractor, but I have less (or right at) 1000 rounds through it and it has always done that.

You can still use the WWB once you are done, Then you can load them however you wish.
I have had zero issues with Remington brass, However I don't reload all that much, Couple hundred here or there.

There's always that weird anomaly that one cannot explain. Go figure.

Here's a cut'n'snip from a HUGE reloading website that surveyed members about reloadable brass and what was "good". After about 1,000 posts here are the findings....

Good to go brass:

Starline (*--* Two Stars with line between them)
Winchester (Winchester, WIN, WCC?)
Norma (Norma)
Magtech (CBC)
Hornady (Hornady)
Independance (*I*)
Israeli Military Industries (TZZ)
Federal (Federal, FC that is not 40S&W)
Eldorado (ELD)
Remington (R-P, UMC)

oli700 said:
Nitesite knowes much more than I do, I'm more simple in my ways lol

Bullcrap.

I load rifle and pistol on a single stage turret press, I use somewhat inexpensive equipment, I read a lot and buy reference books from several sources and try to learn a lot, and just enjoy the hell out of this hobby.

I got good at it, but still keep it simple. Every time I pull the handle I know exactly what is happening, unlike using a progressive loadpress that simply spits out ammo with little feedback to what is going on. My way, every single loaded round has my personal stamp of approval on it!

Neener-Neener!!!!!!!!!

Oli, did I read correctly that you and your brother do metallic pistol reloading as well???????????????????

nitesite said:
Oli, did I read correctly that you and your brother do metallic pistol reloading as well???????????????????

well, he isn’t my bio brother . My partner at work, we have chewed the same ground for years and had each other’s back in many fire "situations", closest thing I ever had to a brother, I would die for him so .....anyway yeah but only 9mm so far.He has a PT145 I got him for a wedding gift and we are going to start on 45acp for the next caliber. But I also have a TC Contender with 44 mag, 357mag and 45 LC barrels so those are in the batter box some day too

oli700 said:
nitesite said:

well, he isn’t my bio brother . My partner at work, we have chewed the same ground for years and had each other’s back in many fire "situations", closest thing I ever had to a brother, I would die for him so .....anyway yeah but only 9mm so far.He has a PT145 I got him for a wedding gift and we are going to start on 45acp for the next caliber. But I also have a TC Contender with 44 mag, 357mag and 45 LC barrels so those are in the batter box some day too

Do you have some cast .452" bullets to shoot?

We don’t currently have anything for .45acp....times are hard here and the .45 is collecting dust, so we shoot the crap out of the 9's lol. He actually uses his 45 as a carry gun but we never shoot it, probably only 200 rounds through it tops including the 50 we got him with the gun.

If it'll help I can cast up some 230-gr LRN cast bullets for you to start on. Gift 'em to you, I will. :)

You guys just get a die set, and I'll UPS a few hundred large pistol primers, and bullets, and cases to help you get up and running. Just let me know where to send the package. :)

Just got your PM moments after I sent that last post. I still want to help however I can.

I know you got my back and I'll take you up on it if ever needed my brother

Back