• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Im looking at a Springfield xds. 45 acp. Any one had any experience with one? Good? Bad?

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

I love Springfield XD pistols, but if I wanted an easily concealable gun the has a max capacity of 6 rounds, I'd get a revolver.

There are a few advantages that the SA XDs would have over a revolver that I can see. I own several revolvers and no XD, so I am not biased toward the XDs.
1) How flat and thin it is vs. a revolver.
2) The average guy can reload one of these much faster than a revolver
*Note that I said average guy. We all cannot be Jerry Miculek. :)
3) There are no .45 ACP revolvers out there with the same dimensions as the XDs.
4) Recoil, I feel, would be more managable from the XDs vs. a similar powered revolver of the same dimensions.
5) Shorter trigger pull and faster trigger reset time, thus making it faster to shoot.
6) Spare ammo can be carried easier.
In my opinion, it just boils down to personal preference. I don't own an XDs, nor plan to buy one. I do carry a snubbie revolver of some form everyday and can see the advantages that the XDs has over my snubbie. JM2C

All good points, but to me the advantages of revolvers outweigh the advantages of the XDs... Mainly the reliability aspect of revolver vs. semi-auto. If you are set on carrying a 45 acp gun, I would recommend the compact 45 XD. I have been carrying the full size 5" XD 45 for the last week and I love it.

Wanting a 357

I been thinking of buying a hand gun I leaning toward a Tarsus model 65 Matte Stainless Steel 357 Revolver.

Any one out there can tell me if this a good hand gun to have for HD I keeping my Mossberg 590 just wanting a hand gun to go along with it I like to have a bigger hand cannon but I want a gun I can train my family to use if ever needed so I think a 357 could be the gun to have.

I want a matte Stainless Steel with out breaking the bank doing so I had a blued gun Semi Auto before there good but I prefer a matte SS one this time around.

Or do you think an Auto 357 be a better choice for HD. :(

Re: Wanting a 357

The last one I shot I thought stood out was a Ruger SP101.....nice double action revolver at a reasonable price.....that was a couple years ago so I don’t know about the price anymore....haven’t shot a Taurus revolver but I have a neighbor that loves them.

Personally, and this is coming from a guy who has owned three Taurus revolvers, I would spend an extra hundred bucks or so and get the Ruger SP101.

Taurus makes fine revolvers, but my experience with their quality control hasn't been positive. Had a Taurus model 66 SS4 .357mag and a model 44 SS6 .44mag for a while. Both had problems right from the start. The cylinder fell off of the m66 after a few shots the first time out at the range and the m44 had cylinder timing issues that could have been extremely dangerous had I not caught it before firing for the first time. Both were sent in to Taurus for warranty repair and were promptly returned in excellent working condition. Ended up trading both of them in for a S&W m629 snub nose .44mag. I still have one Taurus revolver, a m905 SS2 9mm, that has been solid since day one. Taurus has had issues, but they do stand behind their products. That being said, were I to buy another .357 mag today it would not be a Taurus...

Agreed, My experience with Taurus has all been positive so far, but I agree to spend the extra $$$ and get a Ruger. In the long run it will be a better revolver and also hold it's value much better than the Taurus.

Thanks for the info I look start looking at S&W and Rugers I don't want a shinny gun I don't need shinny It hard to tell a lot of times on line if they have a matte finish or a shinny one.

Happy hunting!

Most production models these days are matte stainless. You'll want to stay away from polished stainless if you don't want a mirrored shine...

Concealed carry in 45 would be a Llama Minimax with a Milt Sparks Executive Companion. Very easy to conceal and comfortable... well as comfy as anything strapped to you middle can be...

Hi guys.
I have a shotgun, hunting rifle, revolver and Springfield Armory XD45. I have never had problems shooting anything the way I do with this gun.

Just bought a second hand P45 Saturday. My first Kahr ever.

Thing looked BRAND new, hardly used at all. Previous owner only used 1 magazine, the second one was unused still covered in Cosmoline. The guy never even opened the warranty packet and instructions. I don't know how long he had it or why he traded it in. I paid $440(+ tax etc= $475) and I was happy as could be.

Shot a hundred rounds of Winchester white box 230 gr FMJ from Wal-Mart. Multiple Failure to Eject and Failure to Feed events.:(
Wrote it off as "new gun/break in/weak grip/230gr target loads.":crazy:

Just got back from the range tonight. Another 50 rounds of 230 gr FMJ made by Armscore USA and again multiple FTF/FTE.:confused:
It was so bad I was sweeping my left thumb across the back of the slide after every shot to press it into battery before the next shot.
Now I know why the first owner traded it in.
This is NOT a reliable weapon. I could never carry this as my CCW because I would never know whether or not the thing will work when I pull the trigger. The whole reason I bought it was the slim profile concealability and large bore 45ACP.

What on Earth is wrong with this gun?

Needs a trip back to Kahr for maintenance. Kahr's cost too much and have too good of a reputation to be failing as it is. I believe that there is a point where a large bore auto becomes too small to be reliable. Hopefully you will get yours straightened out. Good luck!

^ Agreed.

My Kahr has been 100% reliable since day one. I'd definitely contact them for warranty inspection and repair...

On Monday I was out in the dessert shooting my new Polymer framed Kahr P45.
Buying that thing was a mistake. EXTREMELY finicky and temperamental. Literally hundreds of Failure To Feed and Failure To Eject episodes with this gun.
I'm over 400 rounds by now and it seems to be improving. I did take some 600 grit Emery Cloth to the slide and barrel where they interface. At first I had to press the barrel into battery with an audible *snap* sound because it was so tight. After I spent about an hour checking and sanding, it finally falls into place with very slight bind. Didn't want to alter it completely. I wanted to leave room for the parts to break each other in and be mated together. Plus, If I send it back to Kahr, I didn't want to risk having a voided warranty due to "Tampering."
No more FTE's, now only FTF. And they are fewer and farther between. Still doesn't go completely into battery. I need to press on the back of the slide with my thumb to move it that last 1/8" before I can fire the next round.
I was at a range yesterday where the in house gun smith was a big Kahr fan. He came out to my stall at the request of the RO and looked over the gun. Took it back to his shop for a couple minutes and returned with the gun smeared with gun lube paste. Still had the same issue where the slide does not go fully into battery. And sometimes it won't pull the first cartridge off of a fresh mag. Just slides right over the top of it.
He couldn't see why it was malfunctioning but suggested sending it back to Kahr after contacting them and getting a Repair Authorization Number.
They pick it up from the house via FedEx and send it back to the house after about two weeks.
Waiting a couple days for the warranty card to arrive there and for me to be registered in their system before calling. :roll:

dorangolv said:
On Monday I was out in the dessert shooting my new Polymer framed Kahr P45.
Buying that thing was a mistake. EXTREMELY finicky and temperamental. Literally hundreds of Failure To Feed and Failure To Eject episodes with this gun.
I'm over 400 rounds by now and it seems to be improving. I did take some 600 grit Emery Cloth to the slide and barrel where they interface. At first I had to press the barrel into battery with an audible *snap* sound because it was so tight. After I spent about an hour checking and sanding, it finally falls into place with very slight bind. Didn't want to alter it completely. I wanted to leave room for the parts to break each other in and be mated together. Plus, If I send it back to Kahr, I didn't want to risk having a voided warranty due to "Tampering."
No more FTE's, now only FTF. And they are fewer and farther between. Still doesn't go completely into battery. I need to press on the back of the slide with my thumb to move it that last 1/8" before I can fire the next round.
I was at a range yesterday where the in house gun smith was a big Kahr fan. He came out to my stall at the request of the RO and looked over the gun. Took it back to his shop for a couple minutes and returned with the gun smeared with gun lube paste. Still had the same issue where the slide does not go fully into battery. And sometimes it won't pull the first cartridge off of a fresh mag. Just slides right over the top of it.
He couldn't see why it was malfunctioning but suggested sending it back to Kahr after contacting them and getting a Repair Authorization Number.
They pick it up from the house via FedEx and send it back to the house after about two weeks.
Waiting a couple days for the warranty card to arrive there and for me to be registered in their system before calling. :roll:

If you want reliable, buy a used GI 1911A1. Get it reworked with new barrel and any other parts that might be needed. The problem with modern versions of this classic is that the tolerances are too tight. A good .45 auto should rattle when you shake it.

Back