• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handle or Flat Top?

Mega

.22LR
I am about to be a new 715T owner. Both versions are in stock where I am going to buy it. But I can't decide which to get.

Here are what I view as the advantages of each (but feel free to correct any bad assumptions I may be making)

Advantages of handle:
  • Longer barrel (more accurate?)
  • Front sight is farther from rear (for extra aiming accuracy)
  • Longer front rails (can mount more goodies)
  • Can still use iron sights with scope mounted on handle (is this true?)
  • Cheaper price (why?)

Advantages of flat top:
  • Can still add a handle (so technically more options)
  • More optics choices (rail mount and/or handle mount)
  • Scope would be less distance specific (because it would be closer to the barrel)
  • Flash suppressor (silly on a .22 but means barrel is threaded for other attachment options)

Also pertinent information may be that I plan to add a front grip that doubles as a bipod, an active illuminated scope, and a green laser.

i bought the carry handle version, i immediately wished i had gotten the flat top. i could not sight in the handle version. it was low and i needed to raise the rear sight. it still had adjustment, but i got it to a point where the handle was blocking my front sight. i would also think it may not hold accuracy as well as the front sight could actually move since it is molded into the shell.

luckily mossberg upgraded me me, at my request, while they were replacing a bad trigger housing. the action, barrel and everything else was the same, just the shell came back a flat top. it's sights are metal and fully removable.

Advantages of handle:
    Nope not really in the few inches of difference - the trigger actuator has more effect on that.
    Maybe...but not that much so. Plus you say you want optics.
    Only need an inch or so of rail for an accessory...can't really run a train of goodies on 1 rail
    Depends on the specifics of the optics and how it is mounted
  • Cheaper price (why?)
    Depends on your source of supply

Advantages of flat top:
    True...and versatility is good
    Correct
  • Scope would be less distance specific (because it would be closer to the barrel)
    More so after 100 yards
  • Flash suppressor (silly on a .22 but means barrel is threaded for other attachment options)
    Such as...?

Also pertinent information may be that I plan to add a front grip that doubles as a bipod, an active illuminated scope, and a green laser.
Yep, these can affect the pros and cons of what you select as a base platform.

I went with a flat top myself.

Mega said:
I am about to be a new 715T owner. Both versions are in stock where I am going to buy it. But I can't decide which to get.

Here are what I view as the advantages of each (but feel free to correct any bad assumptions I may be making)

Advantages of handle:
  • Cheaper price (why?)

Advantages of flat top:

Here's the short answer. Carry handles were originally made for the Military. There is no utility to having a carry handle unless you're going to be carrying it about 15 hrs per day. :) :)

Wow, you guys are awesome... thanks so much for the quick replies.

With pretty much everyone saying flat-top is better, you'd think it would be an easy decision for me... but for some reason I keep liking the looks of the handle version better... and I like the fact the barrel is longer, and I like the longer rails on it. I know I don't need really long rails, but I do plan to put a laser at the front of the rail and then a handle/bipod behind it. I thought that might be cramped on the flat top.

But all your points are very well defended, and I am definitely on the fence now. I like the fact I can do whatever I want with the other model. I can remove sights, change them out, even add a handle. But if I were even thinking about adding a handle, it would be silly to pay $20 extra for the flat top and then pay another $30 or so for a handle.

The biggest negative that I was not aware on the handle version is the fact that some people are not able to zero the rear sights without moving them too high to see through the peep hole. That seems like bad design... and if I did have that problem... you can't remove the sights or handle; definitely a downside.

And looks-wise, I think if I had a scope, it will balance the look of the rifle anyway... so still on the fence... but leaning more towards the flat top now.

Thanks again guys... and keep posting... if you think of anything... I won't be heading to the store for a few more hours. :D

P.S. I found this topic being discussed in other threads (such as the new owners thread), but there was not a dedicated thread I could find, nor addressing some of my pros and cons list. So even if you post too late to help me, keep posting for the next guy.

For reference, here are pics of the two versions (25 round magazine, adjustable stock) I am considering:

Attachments

• flat_top.png
    flat_top.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 463
  • carry_handle.png
    carry_handle.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 463
Well, here's my flat top with the items you mention:

715t-3.png

Scope is a Red/Green/Black Crosshair Scope (all 3 modes) 3.5X-10X zoom with red dot laser.
Folding foregrip with LED flashlight
Folding Bipod tactical clamp on

I don't care for the sling setup (in the picture above) so I am going to put that on a Saiga 410 and put a Tango Down PR-4 and Blackhawk single point on the Mossberg.

Tango%20Down%20PR-4-3.jpg
pix399140606.jpg
pix999733897.jpg

One thing to be aware of is the accessories can quickly excede what you paid for the 715t. But also, you get what you pay for. To go budget you can get airsoft /paintball attachments that will be fine in a .22 or if you swap amongst other firearms you may want to buy more rugged gear. It's all about personal choice and budget. Get what you can afford and what you want.

I have a green laser sight, a 250 lumen tactical flashlight, a foregrip/bi-pod combo, a red/green dot sight and the original iron sights that came with it. I still have enough room on the quadrail to put about 4 more accessories. Space is no problem. The problem is that it goes from the original 5.5 lbs to about 10lbs. Maybe that's the purpose of the carry handle--you can't put so many accessories on it!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for all the replies... I am now the proud owner of the Flat Top 715T.

No ammo though. :/

Dysfunctional said:
One thing to be aware of is the accessories can quickly excede what you paid for the 715t. But also, you get what you pay for. To go budget you can get airsoft /paintball attachments that will be fine in a .22 or if you swap amongst other firearms you may want to buy more rugged gear. It's all about personal choice and budget. Get what you can afford and what you want.

I have spent the last few nights browsing accessories, it is kind of addicting. LOL

Considering this is a cheap rifle that won't kick and will only be used for target plinking, I will probably go with cheaply made parts from China and/or made for Airsoft. I searched for an "Optics Shopping" thread and I haven't found anything recent, so I think I'll start a new thread for that so this one doesn't go off-topic.

Kewlkat said:
Here's an informative optics thread for the 715T that helped me alot:

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=5567

I picked up the Simmons scope recommended by L.E.S. for under $50 and couldn't be happier. :D
Thanks. At first I was wondering how I missed that thread, but then when I hit page 3, I realized I had not missed it... the search I did led me to page 3. Anyway, I should have probably posted in that tread but I didn't see your reply until after I'd started my own new one. So sorry for the new thread... if a mod wants to merge it with the existing one, that would be fine with me. :)

They both look cool to me. The handle version reminds me of an old M16 or something. The FT model reminds me of a sniper rifle.

Ill probably try and find a flat top next and put a nice scope on it and keep my handle version iron sights.

The FT looks better with the flash hider and the shorter fore grip but i like the handle on the handle version

I hear ya. I personally liked the looks of the handle version best... but the FT is more versatile and practical... so I ultimately got that version. I didn't really consider getting both, but since I started off wanting an AR-15, I could have gotten both, and decked them both out in accessories and still spent less. HAHA

Maybe I'll consider another one, but first order of business is to actually shoot the one I have. Still no ammo. :(

I bought both versions, i like the detail on the handled plastic receiver but i also liked the shorter forward rails and the shorter barrel with the flash suppressor . Also the front sights that came with the flat top are much better quality. After taking the best qualities from both i sold the leftover to a buddy of mine at full price. I also added a dust cover and forward assist button for looks. Its a very nice looking 715t i have yet to see one like it

Here is my hybrid of the two models with the dust cover and forward assist button

Attachments

• IMG_20130311_002617.jpg
    IMG_20130311_002617.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 306
That is really cool! The funny thing is, I totally would have bought your "leftovers" because I saw the longer rails and longer barrel as an advantage of the handle version, but the non-removable molded on sights and handle as the disadvantage. I guess non-removable is a relative term if you're willing to do some cutting. ;)

I do think the longer barrel would be a bit more accurate at longer ranges, but i figured with this version i can use a scope and not have to remove the iron sights which i can sight in for shorter ranges. I also buy guns for looks so if i can get a better looking version why not.

Back