• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

old mossy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Little early for some. Just wanted to wish all a Happy Saint Patrick's Day.

,,,,,,,,,sona ú. lá patrick ar

I married an O'Leary so we'll be celebrating on Monday. Happy Saint Patty's Day to all!

As a PROUD Irish American, I always feel it necessary to remind folks of the real significance of St. Patrick's Day. Most don't know or even care to think about it other than an opportunity to wear green, worship a leprechaun, and have an excuse to get blitzed on Jameson or pints of Guiness or some green beer.

Did you know that St. Patrick wasn't even Irish? He was Anglo/Roman (British) bishop who is credited with "saving" the Celtic people from their "pagan beliefs" by ushering them into the folds of Christianity. Having been captured as a boy in an Irish raid on a British settlement and forced to live among his captors for some time, he opposed the popular belief of the Roman Catholic Church that the Irish were a sub-human race destined to be slaves to the Brits. Upon gaining clarification from the Church that no Christian could be held as a slave, he vowed to convert the inhabitants of Ireland to Christianity in the hopes to end the atrocities that plagued the island. He did so by using unconventional, yet effective tactics like comparing religious symbols such as the Christian Crucifix to a popular Celtic natural symbol like the clover. Three points in the clover represent the Holy Trinity, hence the Celtic Cross was born...

The Celtic Cross is normally represented as an object of life and renewal rather that of death and sacrifice. It was made to represent the core beliefs of the Celtic people and to ease their assimilation into the Christian faith instead of the popular tactics exhibited in the Spanish inquisition. St. Patrick's efforts to ease a people into Christianity instead of conquer them is what earned him sainthood and the respect of both cultures.

So this St. Patrick's Day by all means get blitzed on your favorite whiskey or green beer but do me a favor and raise a glass to the man, the legend, St. Patrick himself. For without him, we Irish would have endured far worse than we have in the centuries since his passing.

Now that I got that out of the way, everyone enjoy your St. Patrick's Day and remember...

Is Éireanach gach éinne ar Lá Fhéile Phádraig!

(On St. Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish!)

I like some Irish Whiskey and my wife will make her corned beef and cabbage but I don't get blizted for it. LES am I correct that St. Patrick's day is a rather solemn holiday in Ireland? Also, I believe the corned beef and cabbage is not a dish from Ireland but rather Irish immigrants came up with is a tasty meal from inexpensive ingredients?

Time to break out the Flogging Molly cd.

My corned beef and cabbage is simmering on the stove now for tomorrow. Perhaps tomorrow night a bit of Jameson's after work.

Happy St. Patrick's day to all members and their families.

LES am I correct that St. Patrick's day is a rather solemn holiday in Ireland? Also, I believe the corned beef and cabbage is not a dish from Ireland but rather Irish immigrants came up with is a tasty meal from inexpensive ingredients?

Not sure about the origins of corned beef and cabbage, although growing up it was never served on our table. We did eat corned beef hash though. I do believe that back in the day, corned beef would have been considered a luxury in Ireland and would have only been available to the wealthy. As far as the solemnity of the holiday in Ireland, you'd be better off asking @Paddywhack 12g . I do know that there has been a movement by the Church to return a sense of piety to St. Patrick's Day. It is traditionally observed as a holy day of obligation as well as a feast day, but has evolved into a multi-national pub crawl and excuse for binge drinking. Don't get me wrong I like to drink as much as the next guy, but I also like to remember the reasons for the celebration and to spread the awareness to others...

Been known to down a few of these! 3/4 canadian 1/4 irish yeah I can hold my own :)

Happy St. Patricks day!...Erin Go Braugh!

Attachments

• normal_poster25607069.jpeg
    normal_poster25607069.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
ege2uqym.jpg
za8uvype.jpg
Keep Irish history alive
Happy paddy's day
yjyje8u4.jpg

Last edited:
As a PROUD Irish American, I always feel it necessary to remind folks of the real significance of St. Patrick's Day. Most don't know or even care to think about it other than an opportunity to wear green, worship a leprechaun, and have an excuse to get blitzed on Jameson or pints of Guiness or some green beer.

Did you know that St. Patrick wasn't even Irish? He was Anglo/Roman (British) bishop who is credited with "saving" the Celtic people from their "pagan beliefs" by ushering them into the folds of Christianity. Having been captured as a boy in an Irish raid on a British settlement and forced to live among his captors for some time, he opposed the popular belief of the Roman Catholic Church that the Irish were a sub-human race destined to be slaves to the Brits. Upon gaining clarification from the Church that no Christian could be held as a slave, he vowed to convert the inhabitants of Ireland to Christianity in the hopes to end the atrocities that plagued the island. He did so by using unconventional, yet effective tactics like comparing religious symbols such as the Christian Crucifix to a popular Celtic natural symbol like the clover. Three points in the clover represent the Holy Trinity, hence the Celtic Cross was born...

The Celtic Cross is normally represented as an object of life and renewal rather that of death and sacrifice. It was made to represent the core beliefs of the Celtic people and to ease their assimilation into the Christian faith instead of the popular tactics exhibited in the Spanish inquisition. St. Patrick's efforts to ease a people into Christianity instead of conquer them is what earned him sainthood and the respect of both cultures.

So this St. Patrick's Day by all means get blitzed on your favorite whiskey or green beer but do me a favor and raise a glass to the man, the legend, St. Patrick himself. For without him, we Irish would have endured far worse than we have in the centuries since his passing.

Now that I got that out of the way, everyone enjoy your St. Patrick's Day and remember...

Is Éireanach gach éinne ar Lá Fhéile Phádraig!

(On St. Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish!)
You are 100℅ correct sir.
ruba2u4e.jpg

While I've never really traced my family tree, I've been told my name comes from Irish O'Donegan line. My girlfriends moms name is Gallagher and has a much closer connection to Ireland than my relatives do.

Either way, Happy St. Pattys Day!!

I have to ask a question. Since I was a kid my family always ate their corned beef and veggies with a bit of vinegar. I never thought much of it but my GF thinks that's odd and neither her nor anyone else in her family have ever eaten it this way.

Anyone else eat their corned beef and cabbage drizzled in vinegar or am I just a freak? LOL

I have to ask a question. Since I was a kid my family always ate their corned beef and veggies with a bit of vinegar. I never thought much of it but my GF thinks that's odd and neither her nor anyone else in her family have ever eaten it this way.

Anyone else eat their corned beef and cabbage drizzled in vinegar or am I just a freak? LOL
I was fed caulcannon on paddy's day, mash spuds with chopped up green cabbage mixed in ..yuck, as for corned beef it must be an Irish American variation,..vinegar..! Ugh I need a shot of JD now!

Back