• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hard Bolt lift

Bob4

.22LR
Hello all, First post here.
I have a ATR 100 .270. All of a sudden after firing ( live or dry) I have to apply a bunch more pressure to lift the bolt. Again this happens even with a dry fire so it isn't a pressure issue with ammo. As to how much pressure, if it takes 2 lbs to lift it it takes 8 or 10 to lift it after pulling the trigger. No, I don't have any scale to measure this, more of a guess. Has anyone ever experienced this and maybe have an answer?
I have it standing up letting in CLP flow through it hoping it's a lube issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Bob4, welcome aboard.

Before you pull the trigger, does the bolt stick at all or can you cycle the bolt freely?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hello Bob4, welcome aboard.

Before you pull the trigger, does the bolt stick at all or can you cycle the bolt freely?
Thanks for the welcome. Bolt cycles freely before pulling trigger. The bolt slides to open and close fine all the time,even after a trigger pull the slide is fine. It's simply to lift the bolt that's much much harder to operate after a trigger pull.

Clean and lubricate the bolt, the firing pin and spring.
Remember as you lift the bolt you are also cocking the firing pin.
There may be crud in there making it harder to cock.

Yes Sir, disassembly and a thorough cleaning of the bolt is always a good idea.

My thought from what you describe is that the added tension is being caused by the bolt stop. Look to pages 14-15 of your owner's manual for reference. As you push the bolt into battery, it contacts the bolt stop and engages the trigger. The tension should release after the trigger is pulled. If it doesn't fully disengage then you would certainly feel the added tension while trying to reset and release the bolt. The cause may be as simple as new springs with a touch too much tension. Another possibility is that there is a fitment issue in your trigger group. Of course I can only speculate. If the tension does not begin to subside with use I would suggest having the trigger group inspected by a licensed gunsmith or sending the rifle in to Mossberg for inspection with a detailed account of your issue.

Best of luck and keep us posted...

Thanks all. Been trying to find some documentation or video on disassembling the bolt So I could have a look. Looking at the diagram in the manual it doesn't seem to hard. I'm goin in. :)

Once you remove the bolt head assembly pin, it'll essentially take itself apart. Let us know if you have any questions along the way...

Gave it a few good cracks using the flat side of an old drill bit and hammer and no budge. Does this take a serious blow to move it ? I can feel it moving slightly between my fingers if I move/jiggle the bolt head, if that makes any sense. Just walking easy as to not make a small problem bigger.
bolt_pin.jpg

Hope this helps someone else along the way. I couldn't find reference to it. I stumbled on this by accident. Disassemble ATR 100 bolt.
The back of the bolt ( mine anyway) has to be pulled open and turned 180 counter clock wise and the top end of the bolt pops open giving you the firing assembly which runs through the head pin and holds it in place. In order to do that I had to hook a piece not listed in my manual ( RED ARROW) on a firm edge and pull then turn 180 degrees from where you see it in the pic. Takes a bit of trying. Once the firing pin is removed the bolt head pin almost falls right out enabling you to remove the bolt head.
The amount of force required to move that spring is considerable. And no I'm not that frail :lol:

Also in the pic you'll notice a wear mark on this piece. ( Blue arrow) It's not really worn but marked can't feel it. Wonder if this is rubbing hard enough to cause stick bolt lift. Possibly the bolt stop as mention earlier by sniper? Seems to me the direction of the run would be consistent with the direction of the bolt movement when lifted.

bolt_2.jpg

It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. A good quick cleaning and lube and it's back together. No real noticeable improvement unfortunately.

Anxious to hear what anyone thinks.

You're correct,

The surface (blue arrow) in your photo is what contacts the bolt stop. It moves forward and back as the firing pin is reset/released during bolt operation, but does not rotate with the bolt handle. Light abrasion on this surface is normal, but with your issue I still suspect there is too much tension on the bolt stop. Again if the tension does not subside with use I would recommend having the trigger assembly inspected by a quailified gunsmith or sending the firearm in to Mossberg for inspection. If you decide for Mossberg, make sure they pay for shipping both ways...

Thanks, I'll have it looked at locally as this gun is 3 yrs old now and I don't think I have anything coming from them.
Let me ask this. I need to develop a load and hunt in 2 weeks. In your best opinion. Is it hurting anything major if I continue as is. Or better yet any safety issues here?

All I can do is speculate as to the cause and not knowing exactly what the issue is I can't say no to either question. Probably not the answer you want, but it's the only one I can offer responsibly...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
All I can do is speculate as to the cause and not knowing exactly what the issue is I can't say no to either question. Probably not the answer you want, but it's the only one I can offer responsibly...
Understandable ...Thanks.

Yes Sir,

Wish I had more to offer, but that's the limitation of a web forum I guess. Best of luck getting her sorted out and keep us posted...

You offered plenty. I've now learned to take my bolt apart. Learned a bit on a bolt stop. Yup, Plenty helpful. I'll be lurking. Didn't I see you over at a Ithaca forum also?

Back