• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Health Dept: Homeless Can't Eat Deer Meat

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I am honestly embarassed to say I'm of the same species as the people that makes the rules in this country.

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

LINK

This country is doomed if this is what continues to happen...

I'd almost bet that other meat producers (beef, pig, chicken) lobbied against venison because of the competition.

Actually, it has been illegal for places to serve wild game to the public for years.

If you want to point blame at the right place, it's the USDA since they do not inspect game that was shot in the field or donated by individuals.

And why you can only order farm raised animals on a menu. Or processed/inspected seafood, etc.

Just more proof that government is far too bloated and has its' hands in more things than was ever meant to do.

Philadelphia banned giving any food to the homeless out on the street. They want them in shelters ect. I guess. Maybe they will ticket them for dumpster diver next.

Venison is donated, served at homeless kitchens and consumed by many homeless here in Ohio. The only stipulation is that the whole deer must be processed by an approved butcher shop. Without the donations, many homeless would go without food throughout the winter. Lousy-anna has its wires crossed...

Archer, same here in PA! Thousands of pounds of Deer Meat is processed for the Homeless in my area every year and some people that "Trophy Hunt" for bucks, they donate the meat because they don't want that. It saves meat from being wasted and feeds people who otherwise would surely starve...

It's all a mess across the board. I spent 7 years working the grocery business. When a product, any product hit its expiration date it had to be destoyed. Into the trash and gone. I would see thousands of dollars destroyed every week. When I approached the Corporate office about donating the usable product such as dry and canned goods to the local shelters their response was the legal liability was too high so no go.

Now I'm sure most people understand the expitations dates are almost meaningless on most products but it makes the average consumer feel safe and protected. Even at higher costs.

Now it wasn't long after the time when I had the discussion on the product being donated that Corporate came up with an idea. They opened a department in one of the stores to sell slightly outdated products at reduced price. Well kind of. They called it 50% off. It was 50% off retail which actually ended up a few cents less than the shelf price for fresh.

They got a pass from the Health Department to sell products, dry, packaged and canned goods that were no more that 30 days past expiration. The new department did well and sold a lot of product. Over the next few month they were able to work the Health Department to even longer past expiration dates. In the end it was up to 90 days past the expire date.

Now go figure...... if there was too high of a liability risk on food safety after the expiration date how
could anyone argue that there was no risk at up to 90 days?

The way I'm seeing things with the deer meat..... the local retail stores might very well have been losing a tax write off from close dated meats or products they had been donatimg to the shelters. They wanted to keep that outlet open for their own benifit. If the shelters were well stocked with meat products, they would have been turning down excess donations from retailers. That causes retailers a bit of a loss. Somebody might have been pulling some strings to get the point they did on the deer meat.

Won't even start on corruption in the sytem. LOL!

Just my thoughts.....

Back